Menu

Opinions needed on girls names

My husband and I are having our first baby in September. It is too soon to tell, but if it is a boy he will be James Arthur (my husband's middle name and my father's middle). But if it turns out to be a girl, I have no idea! I like too many names and can't narrow them down. I would love to hear opinions on my narrowed down list:

Alice
    Alina
    Daphne
    Greta
    Juliet
    Lila
    Liliana
    Scarlett
    Thea
    Virginia

Re: Opinions needed on girls names

James Arthur is a fantastic name!

Alice: I love Alice!

Alina: I'm not a fan of Alina. :-( In addition to not liking its appearance, I don't like its sound. I'm also pretty sure that people will mispronounce her name. Lena is lovely, though.

Daphne: A great name!

Greta: I've never been a fan of Greta, but that's just me.

Juliet: Love, LOVE Juliet!

Lila: Another lovely name!

Liliana: Liliana is a beautiful name.

Scarlett: I do like Scarlett, but prefer it as a middle name.

Thea: Thea is a nice nickname for Theodora, but I don't like it as a name in and of itself.

Virginia: A beautiful classic, but one that I, personally, would never use as a first name due to virgin and female anatomy jokes. I grew up with a Virginia (Ginny), who was teased horribly. Virginia would make a lovely middle name, though.

Of your girls' names, my favorites are Juliet and Lila, with Daphne and Alice close behind. Even though it's not my first choice name, I love the combination Daphne Scarlett! Lila Scarlett is stunning, as are Liliana Scarlett and Lila Juliet. (Now that I think about it, Daphne Juliet is lovely, too!)

Best wishes to you!

I like Alice and Thea although I would use a longer version Dorothea or Theodora

I agree with everything Jill said! Love Juliet and Lila! And I do really love Daphne and Alice probable as much as Juliet and Lila.

I love the name Juliet! I would love to name our daughter that, but my husband says that he just thinks of Romeo and Juliet when he hears that name. I'd use it in heart beat- so that is my vote for you!

Alice- great name!
    Alina- my least favorite of your choices
    Daphne- so cute and underused!
    Greta- theoretically, I love this... but I think you have to be pretty confident that you'll have a daughter who can pull this off. Like I said, I really like this, but I wouldn't want it as my own name.
    Juliet- beautiful, a little simple for me, but beautiful.
    Lila- love the sound, but it just looks incomplete written out. I prefer Leila.
    Liliana- kinda boring
    Scarlett- one of my favorites of all time!
    Thea- I agree with the others, this is better as a nickname
    Virginia- i think this is adorable. personally, I wouldn't worry about the teasing. I think this name is worth the possible middle school teasing, because people will get over it and then she'd have this great name for the rest of her life.

You have a lot of really great choices, no matter what you pick, she'll have a great name! Oh, and James Arthur is fantastic!
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Thanks so much. I'm leaning towards Liliana and using Lila as a nickname. Is that too much of a stretch?