Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Talia

Talia

Saw this on appellation mountain as the name of the day and it's beautiful. I would pronounce it Ta-lee-ah but I know there are several different ways to say it. How would you say it?

Should I try spelling it a different way to help others pronounce it the way I like?

Re: Talia

Like you, I pronounce Talia "ta-lee-uh." It's a truly beautiful name, and I so hope you won't decide to create/invent a new spelling. Talia isn't hard to pronounce, but if someone mispronounces it, you can always correct them. As much as I hate mispronunciations, I far prefer them to intentional misspellings. Invented spellings seriously take away from a name's class and sophistication (ie: spelling Madeleine as "Madelyn", ee endings, substituting i's with y's, etc.), and look odd.

So, for me, I give Talia two enthusiastic thumbs up, but only with its authentic spelling! :-)

lola Guest

I say Tal-ya mostly but could easily learn to say Tal-ee-ya, if I knew one that said it that way. I much prefer the muse-ish Thalia myself. talia looks pretty but a bit plain to my eyes. Either way, I think it's a fabulous choice, not common but familiar to all.

I dislike changing the spelling beyond the obvious variants, So I say stick with Talia or Thalia and teach those who don't know how to say, how to say it. Consider it a public service :D It shouldn't be too much of a bother, most people get things on the first try.

I know a girl named Natalia whose nickname is Talia. Very pretty!
    Also I love Thalia. Are you pronouncing it TALL-ee-uh or Tuh-LEE-uh? I prefer TALL-ee-uh. I never heard of Tuh-LEE-uh, but I thought I'd check.

Hmmmm, I guess I'm pronouncing it Tuh-lee-ah now that I think of it....

Hey Kellimojo~
    I love the spelling you have for Talia. Some people spell it Talya. Yuck! I love the name Talia.

I would pronounce it Ta lee uh. I think Tavia (Tay V uh) is pretty. It is a shortened form of Octavia. I knew a girl who went by the nickname "Tavi", always thought that was soo cute.

i love the name talia but i spell it tahlia

As someone who has this name, I suppose I should chime in!

When I was a kid, I wasn't a huge fan of my name because people mispronounced it. I was called Tayleeuh, Tallyuh, Tuhleeuh, and TaLeeeAH. Now, I love my name because it is unique, and I didn't meet another Talia until I was in graduate school! Now that I am pregnant I am trying to find a name I like that is similar enough but not the same, but we shall see!

As far as pronunciation, I pronounce my own name Taleeyuh....but the ee in the middle is pretty short so most times it comes out sounding more like Talyuh. I do answer to people who call me Tallyuh (such as my in-laws, actually!), but I pronounce it with the short a.

Of course I am biased, but I love the name :)

bailibsmum Guest
    there are many ways to spell this name.. i woudl go with Taleah for the way you want it pronounced. xx