Menu

lola Guest

A few newer girls

Yeah, jusyt like the boys, I have a few girls names runnig around that I'm not entirely sure about putting on the list. What do you think of these?:

Elspeth
    Henrietta
    Imogen
    Genevieve

Minor note on Genevieve. She was my Babci's younger sister who died at the age of two, whooping cough. Took her 5 days to die and the name's never been repeated in the family since. I always got the vibe that it was morbid to use Genevieve. But with Babci long gone as well as most of the older generation (I have two aunt Helens left and that's it now) so I'm thinking I might be able to get away with it now. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Re: A few newer girls

Elspeth: I LOVE Elspeth, and if I were Scottish, I'd definitely use it. It's so elegant and charming.

Henrietta: I've not been able to open my heart to Henrietta, which is odd considering my love of Henry. For me, Henrietta is still an old lady, but I wish I felt differently. :-(

Imogen: I really like Imogen, and it's been growing on me more and more. It's a beautiful name, but one that causes pronunciation concerns. I can all too easily hear someone calling her "im-o-geen," but that wouldn't stop me from using it.

Genevieve: Genevieve is one of my all-time favorite names. To me, Genevieve is elegant, feminine, sophisticated, bright, and warm. I love the nickames Eve, Evie, Vieve, and Vivi (Gen works, too), and really can't find any negatives with the name. Plus, Genevieve and Josephine? STUNNING!

I completely understand your reluctance to use Genevieve considering your family's tragedy. (My condolences...) Whether or not you feel comfortable using the name is entirely up to you, and you need to listen to your gut.

If it makes you feel any better, my family names children after deceased relatives (regardless of how the person passed away) as a form of honor. My brother is named after an uncle who was killed in a tragic car accident, and I'm named after my grandmother, who was also dealt a tragic death. (I actually have my grandmother's initial, as opposed to her first name.) If you don't want to use the actual name, you could always simply use the initial as a tribute.

If you used Genevieve, I wouldn't find it morbid at all, but rather a lovely tribute to a little girl who was never given the chance to live a beautiful life. I understand why the name has never been used in your family, because it was still a source of great pain to those who remembered Genevieve and her death. However, as you said, that generation is no longer here, so the emotional pain associated with the name has been released, too.

Your relatives not using the actual name, Genevieve, is no different than my dad not wanting to give me his mother's actual name, as he knew it would be too hard for him to say her name every day of his life while looking into my eyes. I, however, would have no problem giving one of my children her first name, as I'm removed from the tragedy.

I actually think your relatives would be pleased to see Genevieve being honored by you.

Elspeth - I'm starting to really like this, and I have a thing about Scottish names just like I have a thing about Greek names. I have a ton of Scottish in me. So I think it's a great name! And you know how much I love Elizabeth, so I get excited about its variations.

Henrietta - I've known a really crabby lady named Harriet my whole life, and I think that's why Harriet and Henrietta don't appeal to me. So I am very biased. Maybe someday I will love those names.

Imogen - Yes, I love this name and the nn Immy. Vintage, fascinating, gorgeous! Fun vowel sounds, too!

Genevieve - this is my fave on this list. I am wild about it, and if I had a little baby girl to name, Genevieve would be on my short list for sure.

Lola said:
    Minor note on Genevieve. She was my Babci's younger sister who died at the age of two, whooping cough. Took her 5 days to die and the name's never been repeated in the family since. I always got the vibe that it was morbid to use Genevieve. But with Babci long gone as well as most of the older generation (I have two aunt Helens left and that's it now) so I'm thinking I might be able to get away with it now. Thoughts?

Susan's reply:
    We had a similar tragedy in our family. My father's older brother died of pneumonia when he was five. It took him a few days to die, too. His name was Chester Bernard. I have his little tiny comb somewhere, his baby book, and lots of pictures of him. In one he is playing with a train set. I even have a picture of his grave. He was deeply loved, especially by his mother, my grandmother May who I never met because she died long before I was born. I would definitely consider naming a son after little Chester. I even thought of his name when our son was born. My brother thought of it, too, and suggested Chester to me, but I thought it sounded awful with our last name Chesney. I didn't even like it as a middle name with Chesney.
    I think it would be lovely to honor little Genevieve!

lola Guest

Thanks gang!

Elspeth would be for me and my Grandma, Henrietta, I've liked since I was little (anyone else remember "New Zoo Review"?) And lucky me, I'm with someone who's got a Grandpa Henry to honor! Hettie, Hattie or Etta would likely be her nicknames.
    Imogen's one that has grown on me over the last 8 or so months. Final point, there's a JNE/Jade running around online with a darling little Imogen Lily. Yep, sold me. Imogen Violet Jane is our combo.

Genevieve is staying on the list, you two sold me. I'm still not entirely sure if I'm comfortable enough to love Genevieve like I do Josephine but I'm leaving her on the list to grow on me some more.

I think they are all lovely! I would use Elspeth if we didn't have an Elisabeth middle name.