Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lola Guest

Some new-ish ones!

Boy, even here, the boys forum is slower than molasses. :D Two parter

I was thinking of a few newer or different names than are floating around my top 10 right now, would you be so kind as to review them?

Anselm - blogged him yesterday but I want some opinions from those that haven't seen it.

The others are: Casimir, Harvey, Bruce (His great grandpop, I keep toying with him) & Clarence (nn Clancy).

Thanks a million, guys!

Re: Some new-ish ones!

Anselm : This is a really cool name, Lola. What would his nickname be?

Casimir: I immediately thought I was reading the word "cashmere," so I'd use Casimir as a middle name. It's different, but so handsome.

Harvey: I know it's popular in the UK, but it just seems so nicknamey to me.

Bruce: I'm not a fan of Bruce, but think it would be great if you honored your loved one. :-)

Clarence/Clancy: While Clarence seems too nerdy for me, I really, really like Clancy! I actually grew up with a Clancy (he would have killed anyone who called him Clarence), who was handsome and quite athletic. I'm really torn on this one, as I love Clancy as much as I dislike Clarence. Hmmm....

Is Alfred/Alfie on your list?

Anselm : I love this name, but I can't think of a great nickname. It would be tempting to call him Ants, especially when he becomes a teenager. He would laugh!

Casimir: This is lots of fun! His nickname could be Caz like the Casbah.

Harvey: I love this excrutiatingly. I had a great uncle with this cute and happy name, and he was so nice. He worked for a chocolate company. That made me really love him!

Bruce: This was going to be my husband's name but then his mom's really good friend-sort-of-relative named her son Bruce. His mom was mad! I think Bruce would make a great honoring middle.

Clarence/Clancy: I'm going to really date myself here and admit that I used to love watching "Clarence the Cross-Eyed Lion" on T.V. So I love Clarence. Clancy is too cute!

Is Alfred/Alfie on your list? No long vowel in Alfred. Only short vowels.

Love your ideas, Lola. How about Yuri? That's fun to say. How about Dimitri? When is Irving going to come back in style? The "ing" at the end reminds me of pudding. I love pudding. Yes, Irving nn Irv needs to be on the hotlist!

lola Guest

Thanks Jill, Susan!

Anselm is one I don't think I'd nickname. Rather like Leo, who gets things like Punkin, Sweetie or Honey. So would Anselm. Depoending on his middles (which I haven't even come close to deciding on) I may end up with a initial kid (rather like the AB I had for Alasdair Barnaby George). Ans would be the occasional shortening, not quite ants. I would think, anyway. :)

Caz, exactly Susan! Or Miro! Jill, I get a lot of cashmere thoughts on Casimir. No big deal there, cashmere's a luxury fabric, isn't it? :D I'll think about him in the middle only because he seems quite ethnic with Leo & Simon but okay with Josephine.

Harvey is one that's been creeping up on me. I toy with him quite often. I have to ask, Jull, what would Harvey be a nickname for? I don't get the nickname feel from him. I think he's cool with Josephine and kitschy enough to fit with Leo & Simon too.

The Hulk makes me love Bruce (and Betty too). Really. Told you I'm weird! And as a bonus for me it's in his family tree. Except for the potential for Brucie (which is all Cousin Brucie, on the radio, to me). Maybe in the middle, but I like him enough to put up front. Definitely!

Susan, I think you're my age or a touch older! I vaguely recall "Clarence the Cross-Eyed Lion" but my slightly older cousins know all about it. Me, I think Angel in "it's a Wonderful Life" since I see that every year. Clancy is a perfect nickname for him, brash and rough. A lovely switch from the refined and cultured Clarence.

Alfred/Alfie is not on our lists. I dislike Alfie (not enough to be bothered by anyone else's use of it but not for me!) And Alfred just says "Batman's loyal butler" to me. He's not a bad image at all, really just not for me. (Hay, maybe a Bruce of mine will have a best friend named Alfred? That would be hilarious!
    I wonder why I seem to prefer long vowels to short, too. Mine has a mix, you'd think that would be what my ear prefers, hmm.

Irving's great, Susan but not for me. I think He's definitely got "hotlist" potential, So clunky and old mannish that he's surprisingly cool again! Yuri is fantastic and I adore Dmitriy (spelled that way, he's a Great Uncle!) but both sound kind of weird with the Mac surname. I wish I could use Dmitriy at least!

Anselm - For me this guy is a 17th century French aristocrat wearing gold brocade and high-heeled shoes. He's also very handy with a dueling sword, so don't let the powdered wig fool you.

Casimir - Cosmo's better; this one's too close to cashmere to my ear

Harvey - Doesn't bother me, but doesn't make me excited either

Bruce - You know your Charlotte/harlot thing? I have a permanent association of Bruce and bruise. Which leads to ooze...

Clarence (nn Clancy) - a jolly fun guy. I like him!

Hi Lola. About Harvey: I know it's not a nickname, but it just has that feel for me. I guess it reminds me of Alfie, Bobby, Charlie, Frankie, Georgie, Mikey, Teddy, Ollie, etc.. Perhaps it's because of the fact that aside from Henry, I really don't associate many "ee-sounding" endings with "full" names when it comes to boys. I had a relative named Harvey, and when I was a little girl, I remember wondering what Harvey's "real" first name was. I was clearly clueless, but I guess Harvey's nicknamey vibe never left me! :-)

lola Guest

Thanks, Melissa, Jill!

Melissa, I swear, you are the only person who's ever said "I'd rather Cosmo than Casimir". Which is cool, They're both family names for me. I prefer Cosmo too, I was just thinking of alternatives.
    I love your depiction of Anselm! How neat. I have a picture of Ken in 18th century garb (I think he was 25 or so) and yeah, he does rather look like an Anselm!

I still thoroughly like Bruce, Just like I can't stop anyone from using Charlotte (Josie will have one in her Kindergarten class, you watch!) I think I'll hang onto Bruce for a bit longer. I think he'd be pretty groovin' in a few years time.

Thanks for the thumbsup on Clarence/Clancy. I'm quite taken with him again!

Jill, I understand about the nicknamey feel, really I do. I'd thought I might have missed something Harvey had originally come from! :D it's okay, you're not alone with his sound feeling nicknamey but I'm really charmed by him and can't seem to shake him completely. So he's staying, at least for now.

I actually like Harvey, and it's one of my favorites of the boys' names you've been pondering. I'm glad it's staying! I'm sure you've thought of every name known to man, but I'm wondering if you've ever considered Clyde, Clive, Cyrus, Arlo, Cassius, Hugo, Xavier, Rupert, or Atticus?

lola Guest

Just about, Clyde makes him say "Right Turn, Clyde" so orangutan is his association, not for me!
    Arlo he dismisses with "One man name, can't do" It's be like naming a girl Cher, to him. :( too bad too, I REALLY dig Arlo!
    Clive - reminds me of chive, him of Olive. So I think he's too edible for this family.
    Cyrus - is one I don't mind and actually like quite a bit. I should mention him, see what sort of reaction he gets.
    Cassius, Hugo, Xavier & Rupert are all on our list, somewhere. Xavier is generally a middle because we both loathe the possible ex-av-ee-yer. Please, Zayv-yer or Zayv-ee-yer. No X! Hugo floats on & off but Cassius is a wildcard as is Rupert.

Atticus is one I like but find far too associated with TKAM. I don't mind multiple assocations but singular ones are too much for either of us. One other good Atticus would make it a bit easier to live up to, too.

:D

I'm out for movie night!

I was thinking of Cassius instead of Casimir. I'm liking Harvey and Cassius together (Harvey Cassius _____). What about Maxfield?