Menu

Hubby and I need your help!

We have one daughter, Caitlin, and we are currently expecting our second child which will be a girl. We hope to be able to have a total of four children. So, we will have to consider the harmony of names down the road. I have no idea what to name this daughter except that I would like for it to be another beautiful name, as I adore the name Caitlin. My husband suggested Elizabeth, but I am concerned that it is too boring and has too many syllables to sound balanced with her big sister Caitlin. Am I incorrect? Do you think Elizabeth is a good sibling name for Caitlin? His other suggestion is that we come up with another "C" name. Would that be a good pattern to begin if we hope to have four children? I love my hubby and he is really trying to help. Please let me know your thoughts.

lola Guest

Re: Hubby and I need your help!

Well, right away, I think Elizabeth is a fine sister name. She's a bit more classic than Caitlin, but that's nothing to worry about. Limiting yourself to 2 syllable names to match Caitlin is just as linmiting as using another C name. Which is something I'd avoid, unless you've got more than 4 C names you love. (I do but even I wouldn't use all one letter for my kids)'

If you're in the mood, I have a few suggestions for a sister for Caitlin:
    Tegan
    Ava
    Megan
    Kirsten
    Anna
    Neve
    Tamsin
    Sinead
    Caitriona (ka-trina)
    Maureen
    Cassandra
    Siobhan
    Amelia
    Roisin (ro-SHEEN)
    Nora
    Eileen
    Irene
    Glenda
    Brooke
    Maisie
    Isla
    Effie
    Wynne
    Blythe
    Alison
    Kylie
    Lesley
    Bridget
    Kira
    Ellery
    Brenna
    Finola
    Fiona
    Deidre
    Maeve
    Elspeth

You could also try looking up Caitlin here and scrolling down to see what other lists she's on. You may find something fantastic! Good luck and I hope I helped a bit!

Caitlin is a pretty name and very popular.
    Somewhat similar, popular names that are like Caitlin (Sorry, Lola, if I'm repeating your ideas):
    Morgan
    Elise - feels a bit dated, but I really like it.
    Sophia
    Ava
    Natalie
    Madeleine
    Evelyn
    Emma

Some fun Gaelic choices:
    Ailsa
    Gwenyth
    Sorcha
    Iona
    Margaret nn Maisie
    Anwen
    Arwen - the lovely elf in "Lord of the Rings"
    Briony
    Maeve
    Fiona
    Tamsin

I think that Caitlin and Fiona are so cute together!

Elizabeth is a great choice as a sister to Caitlin, additionally it has so many nickname options (Ellie, Lizzie, Ella, Libby, Lily, Beth, Betty, Betsy, Bet, Elsie etc.) that I doubt the number of syllables will be a problem. It is also well-known so I doubt others will trip over the pronunciation (unlike say, Evangeline which isn't as widespread).

I wouldn't tie yourself into using another C name if you cannot find one that you immediately like. If you do choose to use a C name then I recommend on with a different sound to the 'cuh' sound of Caitlin eg sh as in Charlotte, ss as in Cecilia.

Some other suggestions to go with Caitlin:
    Alice
    Anna
    Bridget
    Daphne
    Esther
    Emer
    Fiona
    Hazel
    Isabel
    Julia
    Keziah
    Laurel
    Lorelei
    Mona
    Niamh (neev)
    Natalia
    Olive
    Petra
    Rachel
    Rhiannon
    Selena
    Sabina
    Sylvia
    Tess
    Violet
    Zoe

Lola, I was just reading an article in Domino and there were two sisters named Caitlin and Tamsin! I think those two names go so well together. I also think Elizabeth works great with Caitlin. Some other favorites from those that have been mentioned:

Caitlin and Nora (love this one!)
    Caitlina and Fiona
    Caitlin and Annabelle
    Caitlin and Emmeline
    Caitlin and Zoe

A few more ideas:
    Caitlin and Harper
    Caitlin and Maura
    Caitlin and Darcy
    :: o l i v e ::

my name is Caitlin Zoe, and as mentioned above, i think Zoe sounds great with Caitlin. I also think that Miranda, Cecilia, Kylie, Rhiannon, Kendall, Olivia, Grace, Colleen, Maeve all go nicely with Caitlin.
    I also dont think the number of syllables is something to worry too much about.
    i'm sure you'll find the right name :)
    Favorite girl names: Estella, Marielle, Carys, Doutzen, Mireille, Edith, Saskia, Eve, Sienna, Cosima, Winnie, Delphine, Meredith, Sylvie, Sloane

Favorite boy names: Otto, Owen, Aaron, Daniel, Henry, Adam, Seth, Abram/Bram, Johan, Johannes, Sven, George, Adlai, Adam