Menu

Iona is a variant?

Help, please! I love Iona, but I want to name the baby after my grandmother, Jane. I see that Ioana is a variant of Jane and Ion (yon) is a variant of John (mas. Jane) but everywhere I look I see that Iona means "island," or possibly "dove" or "amethyst." I can't find a reference to "God is Gracious" (meaning of John/Jane) or that it is used anywhere are a variant of Jane.

Do any of you know anywhere in the world where Iona is a variant of Jane? Have you ever heard of this? Do any of you know anything about Iona beyond island/dove/amethyst?

I'm familiar with Iona as an island off the coast of Scotland (hence it doesn't mean "island", it simply is an island). It was once a monastery for Saint Columba, whose name means "dove", so that's where the connection comes in. I can't comment as to the amethyst meaning. Ione is a legitimate variation, notable for the British actress Ione Skye.

Ioana, however, is a variant of Jane via Johanna - I think in Greek the I replaces the J. So Ioana would be pronounced "Yo-AH-na" rather than "I-OWN-a".

I don't know if that helps, or merely complicates, but there you go.

Yes, I knew that, and it makes me sad. I am trying to figure out if there is any connection, anywhere between the two. Like a variant of a variant of a variant, Iona is used as Jane in this country... So far, I'm not having any luck, so I thought I would ask the experts.

Just googling, and I see Ioana is used as version of Joan/Johanna in Romania as well.

Sorry I couldn't give the answer you wanted! Either way, Iona or Ioana would be a lovely choice

Goodness, don't be sorry! It was a blind hope; I don't expect you to work miracles. I am very grateful for your reply.

Yes, as far as I know this is true (and where Ioana is most common). I had a Romanian-American friend whose name was Ioana, but it was pronounced ih-WAH-nah/ah-WAH-nah/ee-WAH-nah, depending on the emphasis (and how American you were, lol).

As far as I know, Iona isn't connected to the Greek form of Yochanan (which is originally where John comes from, I believe!)--if you love Iona so much though, why not just use Iona Jane? I think that would work just fine, myself.
    Ashley | dreamer | Christian | storyteller

uma esperança de amor
    Tali Eliora ¤ Adelaide Maja Eliane ¤ Emmeline Poppy Cecile ¤ Vera Eliora
    Torin Cornelius ¤ Judah Theophile Grey ¤ Augustine Pudens Grey ¤ Casper Benjamin
    Evangeline Dagny Louise ¤ Isobel Grace ¤ Helena Aspen ¤ Claire Tirzah Elisabeth
    Jack Rilian Alexander ¤ Aquila Daniel John ¤ Asa David ¤ Everett Joshua

Ashley, We need a Greek mythology name first, this is for the middle: