Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cecilia

Cecilia

I've always loved Cecilia because it was my great-grandmother's name. Her nickname was Cici, which I wouldn't want to use. Do you think Cecily would be a natural nickname? For example, it's natural to call a Sophia, Sophie... but this is a little different, no? The pronunciation is just a little different, so would it not come naturally? The nickname Celia really doesn't appeal to me, but I love Cecily. Do you know of any other nicknames for Cecilia? Also, do you think it's getting too popular? I've heard about a lot of people considering it. My favorite combo is Cecilia Tilley Rose, I just looove it!
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

lola Guest

Re: Cecilia

I absolutely adore Cecilia Tilley Rose! (I was sorely tempted to swipe it at first, because Cecilia honors for me, Tilley honors for me and Rose does as well, it's a family surname for me). Since there are already 4 Cecilia's in my family, I decided to use Cecily since that's not in use in family. I can see Cecilia nn Cecily but think it's not exactly an obvious one and may have to be taught to a good number of people. If you don't like Cece/Cici or Celia, there are a few more options: Celie (seel-ee), Lia Cilka (Silk-ah), Cilla & Sisel/Zisel. Hopefully something there appeals, Cecilia Tilley Rose is just to die for and I'd hate to see you toss it just because there are no nicknames that appeal to you! You could even just nickname her things not related to her name: Honey, Nonnie, whatever. Sometimes too, things develop that you never expected, like I doubt my parents thought that Laura had any nicknames beyond the obvious Laurie/Lori so when my kid brother came along and christened me Lola, I think they were a bit surprised!

I love Celia (it was my aunt's name) and Cecily, and while I don't consider them "nickanme names," you could definitely use them for Cecilia. People may assume that Celia is the given name, but you could always explain! :-)

I think Cecily is a name by itself and doesn't need to be a nickname for Cecilia. It could be. Both names are so gorgeous!

I'm so glad you made a post about Cecilia, as I had been thinking about her too! I think Celia or Cecily could work as nicknames for Cecilia. My husband's grandmother's name was Cecile, and she went by Ciel (which itself means sky). Your combo is also beautiful!

Here's my only problem with the lovely Cecilia: Simon & Garfunkel. The only Cecilia I know is serenaded by everyone she meets (each new acquaintance of course thinking he or she is the first clever person to do so). If it weren't for the song, Cecilia would be one of my top choices. What do you think? Should I reconsider, despite the song?

lola Guest

I would definitely reconsider Cecilia. The song is not that big a deal, isn't on the radio often and if I mentioned "Simon & Garfunkel" to one of Simon or Leo's friends, I'd get a "huh, who?" sort of reaction. In another 20 years, how many youngersters are really going to know the song/ Plus, my BFF is a Cecilia, got sung the song and she lived. My name Laura, (my nickname Lola, too) are in songs, they were sung to me all the time and I lived too! It's just not something I'd give much weight to. Far too pretty to shove off for that reason!

I agree with Lola. Songs are an annoyance, but not a tragedy. Just today at brunch the band broke into "Sweet Melissa" and I waited for the inevitable "Hey, it's your song!" I said, "Yup, sure is," and the moment passed. No biggie.

Cecilia is a great name. I prefer hearing someone go by Cecilia rather than Cecily if Cecilia is the given name. The names are so close anyway...why not go by the given name? Most people probably pronounce Cecilia with three syllables which is the same number as Cecily, so you wouldn't be shortening the name all that much. If you like Cecily, then you could certainly make that the given name, too.

Cessie (SESS-ie) is a cute nn for either Cecilia or Cecily. Cecily is one of my very favorite names followed closely by Cecilia. I know a Cecilia who goes by Cessie and another Cecilia who goes by Cissy. The women at my grandmother-in-law Cecilia's board and care home used to call her Cece (CEE-cee). They called her La Cece kind of like The Donald as in what Ivanna used to call Donald Trump. I thought it was hilarious!

My great aunt is Lucielle and EVERYONE calls her Sealey (i have no clue how she spells it though)...I think it works just the same for Cecilia.

PS - To me the song isn't reason enough to abandon the name. I always wanted a song with my name (yeah...I got it from Mambo #5...not exactly my cup of tea, but its still fun to hear) My mom's name is Roxann and she was in high school when the song came out, she said she hated it in highschool because people would sing it down the hallway to here and she was pretty shy. But now we just laugh at it. And its acutally my ringtone when my mom calls me. I think its cute. :)