Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Who Would You Be... ?

The post on Andrea reminded me that it would have been my name had my father been more cooperative. :) How about you? Did your parents ever mention the other names they wanted to give you, or the name they chose for your opposite gender? And which do you like better: your actual name or the runner up?

Re: Who Would You Be... ?

As mentioned, Andrea was my mother's second choice for me. She also wanted to use her maiden name, Morgan, which I always secretly wanted... at least, before it became trendy. She decided not to because there was a big, brawny D-I football player whose first name was Morgan and whose last name was the same as ours, and mom was convinced he would become insanely famous and I'd hate her forever. (Apparently she was wrong: you ever heard of a football player named Morgan?)

If I'd been a boy, I would be Kevin Michael. I'm glad I wasn't; Kevin doesn't feel like a name that ages well. It's permanent boyhood.

I was going to be Phyllis ----- Farson. That was what my father wanted to name me. He thought Phyllis sounded great with Farson. Then my mom said she looked at me when I was born and suddenly insisted on naming me Deborah Sue. I like Deborah more than Phyllis, but I really love Susan. My father wrote a letter to his brother that said Deborah sounded like some big, stocky woman who milks cows.
    If I'd been a boy, I was going to be David Allan. If my older sister had been a boy and her name had been David Allan, I was going to be Stephen. I really love the name Stephen. Probably because it sounds a lot like Susan.

The other girls name that my parents were seriously considering was Melissa. However, my sisters name is Laura and my mom didn't want two Greek names. When I looked Laura up it says it is Latin, so I'm assuming my mom mistaken.
    If I was a boy I was to be William, which I hated when I was younger because there was a mean boy in my class named William, but now I think it has a kind of classic charm.

lola Guest

Pop wanted me to be Rebecca, Mom wanted Lucy or Alice. Laura was "the compromise" name as in "Well, it's feminine, pretty looking and it's been around a while...."
    I would have made a spectacualr Alice but can live with Laura. If I'd been a boy? Michael Wayne (Wayne for Pop) if Mom had gotten her way. If Pop had gotten his choice, Michael Aaron. Funnily enough, My brother (born 18 months to the day later) got Steven Michael Oliver. So I suppose their tastes changed a little bit. Then again, Laura ranked #15 the year I was born and Steven ranked 15 the year he was born. Only Kathleen got off lucky, her name was #42 the year she was born. Following the rank 15 thing, she should have been Kelly!

The two options I'm aware of are Grace and Elizabeth. I wasn't named Grace because my grandma said "They'll call her Gracie!" and apparently that would be the worst thing ever. I think Elizabeth was more seriously considered, but my maiden name is the same as that of a very famous Elizabeth, and my mom thought that would be too much to live up too. I so wish I had been named Elizabeth. I probably would have changed my nickname a million times, but I would have loved it. My dad picked Lyndsay, I don't know why. If I'd been a boy I would have been Jeffrey, which is my brother's name who came along 5 years later. Their other option for him was George. We would have been a fabulous Elizabeth and George, but instead we're Lyndsay and Jeffrey.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Great idea for a post. My father wanted to name me Yvonne after a former girlfriend. My mom told me as a teen that it worked well with the girlfriend's last name, but it sounded awful with my maiden name. I'm not sure if she seriously considered it or not. My mom had twins unexpectedly. (This was pre-ultrasound days.) So my twin brother got the boy's name they had picked out, Rodger. I always thought Jill and Rodger didn't match and Jeffrey would have been much better. My mom said that they didn't rethink the names when we were born, but just went with what they had already decided on.

I know my father liked Alessandra, which my mother thought sounded to wannabe because you'd always have to explain you're not Alexandra. Another name that was considered was Alina, so apparently they settled early on an A-name. If I would have been a boy I would be a Pascal. Strangely though, my two years younger sister Dana would have been named Fabian.
    So, my parents did not seem to like pascal so much after only two years time. That always made me wonder if they also didn't like Annika after that time anymore...

If I was a boy I would've been Jason - thank goodness I'm a Megan instead :) My dad also liked Christy or Katchina.

If I had been a boy, I would have been Carl, which I hated as a child. I still prefer Charles, but I think Carl is ok, and I could have been a good Carl or Charles. My little sister would have been Gregory. Thank goodness they had girls!

My mother really liked the name Isolde (prn. Iz-old-a), and would have nicknamed me Zoey. My dad, a huge Wagner fan, vetoed Isolde, not wanting to use the name of an opera character on a real person. I love my name (Annelise), but I also love love love Isolde. Isolde sounded fine with my maiden name, so it would have worked for me, but not so great with my married name, so I won't get to use it myself. Oh well.