Menu

Thread: Zipporah

Zipporah

At 8 months along, I've found myself completely in love with the name Zipporah, a Hebrew name meaning "bird" (Also, wife of Moses in the Bible). Her nickname would be Zippy. My husband loves it too, but we have one drawback... I'm afraid that we'll find it difficult to find names for future children. I don't want all my children to have Biblical names (it's a bit too themey for me), but I can't come up with any other names that would go well with it... any ideas?

Re: Zipporah

I looked up Zipporah on "check out a name", the box to the left. Pam and Linda have a concern that a girl named Zipporah would be teased with "zipper" jokes. I agree. But if you really love Zipporah, I will look up some names that also mean bird or especially sparrow. I read a book about a girl nicknamed Zippy, and I think that it is a really cute nickname. I think the book was called "A Girl Called Zippy".

I looked up some bird names, and I found Birdie, Colomba, Paloma, and Jemima. Those are all peaceful bird names. I really love the name Paloma which means dove.

Recently I made a Birds of Prey Names list. You can find it by looking up Arden (which means valley of the eagle and is a unisex name) on "check out a name" and then scrolling down and clicking on my list.

While Zipporah is a lovely name, I'd be too concerned about zipper jokes to use it! As a middle name, I wouldn't worry, but as a first name? Kids can be cruel, and I'd hate to see a little girl with a name destined for teasing.

That said, if you still want to use Zipporah, and you don't mind potential zipper teasing, you should use it.

Some names that could go with Zipporah (I selected feminine, more unusual/exotic names):

Seraphina
    Tamsin
    Genevieve
    Willa
    Viviana
    Liliana
    Marielle
    Arabella
    Mirabelle
    Mirabella
    Catalina
    Delphine
    Daphne
    Esme
    Honor
    Isolde
    Zara
    Rosalind
    Verity
    Dahila
    Ariana
    Aria
    Iris
    Isla
    Jordana
    Tatiana
    Eden
    Eve
    Eva
    Juliana
    Jocelyn
    Tasha
    Tullia
    Clea
    Lila
    Odessa
    Rosalie
    Aurelia
    Daria

Best wishes to you!

I thought of some more ideas, but in all honesty, I think an unusual Hebrew name like Zipporah sounds best paired with other Hebrew or Biblical names. Yes, you can match Zipporah's femininity and exotic flair with non-Hebrew names, but it's just not the same as using another Hebrew name. While Hebrew names such as Sarah and Leah have become mainstream, obtaining a classic feel that allows them to be paired with other classic names (sibling sets of Hannah and Kate/ Sarah and Louisa come to mind), Zipporah belongs with other Hebrew names (at least to me). :-)

Some more ideas:

Talia
    Aaliyah
    Hadassah
    Lila
    Dinah
    Eliana
    Shoshana
    Gabriella
    Joelle
    Adina
    Daniela
    Abriana
    Aviva
    Ilana
    Alana
    Natania
    Nira
    Noa
    Shira
    Tova
    Zara
    Dalia
    Eve
    Simone
    Delilah
    Samara
    Jordana

How cute the nickname Zippy would be! The first thing that comes to mind is Araminta, with the nickname Minty. Zippy and Minty would be great sisters, I think.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

lola Guest

I love Zipporah. I know one, actually. She's a fantastic lady who goes by Zip, to friends and Orah to most others (like the local PTA). Yeah, Zippy's a possible problem, but I don't think it's the sort that will follow her to HS & beyond, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if it was a name I absolutely loved.

Edited to add sibling names! :) (d'oh, forgot!)

I really liked the Araminta suggestion, (sorry, didn't look to see who posted that lovely suggestion)
    Others:
    Philippa
    Willa
    Matilda
    Jemima
    Madeleine
    Naomi
    Susanna
    Ruth
    Sara
    Ada
    Miriam
    Shiloh
    Lila
    Elizabeth/Elisabeth
    Beatrice
    Josephine
    Elspeth
    Gabriella
    Cora
    Lucille
    Hazel

Miles
    Gideon
    Arthur
    Nathaniel
    Jonathan
    Jonah
    Zachary
    Joshua
    Joseph
    Benjamin
    Elias
    Simon
    Reuben
    David
    Caleb
    Seth
    Saul
    Jesse

Hope that helps!

Thanks for all the ideas! Yeah... we're definately sticking with Zipporah. The more I say it, the more I fall in love with it - we'd been looking for a while and as soon as we heard Zipporah, we were like "yep! that's the one!" It's funny, while I'm Christian, I've gotten really sick of hearing the sibling sets of Sarah, Elijah, Isaac, Eli, etc. (although those are great names, I just think they're overused) so I thought I'd would really dislike other Biblical names, but I loved some on your lists...

lola - I really love all your name suggestions, especially Matilda, Naomi, Shiloh, Miriam, Lila, Hazel, Gideon, Reuben, and a lot of those are Biblical names... my tastes must have changed overnight :)

jill - A lot on your list I love and have considered as well... Seraphina, Dahlia, Zara spelled Zahra, Eden, Daria, and Delilah

Thanks so much for the suggestions! All are really beautiful!

I know a Ziporah (with one p which cuts down on the zipper jokes a bit) and I think its a lovely name. She is called Zipi. Zipporah has a lovely, old world feel, so you could pair it with other names of that style - Adaline, Imogen, Seraphina (Jennifer Garner's pick). You could also do a play on Zipporah for the next child, something that also means "bird" or "flower" or "tree." Congratulations on your new little girl.