Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Disagreeing on names that "fit"

My husband's family has a tradition of naming the first born son using "C" as the first letter. I'm trying to avoid standard names like Charles, and want something to fit our daughter's name, Ava (it's a family name for me).

I really like the sound of Ava and Carter. Both smooth, kind of old-Hollywood sounding. But my husband isn't crazy about it. He likes Cian. But Ava and Cian don't seem to match in my opinion.

Any feedback would be great!

lola Guest

Re: Disagreeing on names that "fit"

I'm not a fan of surname names but I like Carter way better than I like Cian (Which bugs me, both Kee-en and KEEN are possible pronunciations, which is it and how many people are also going to instinctively know it? Bah, I prefer names with one known pronunciation). But Carter feels very trendy next to the more clasic Ava.
    I also think if you two can't agree, it's time to pitch both and look around some more. Here are some other 'C' names that I think fit nicely with Ava but aren't very common:

Cillian - kill-ee-an, like Cillian Murphy.
    Colin - Handsome and in the States, relatively uncommon.
    Conor - More mainstream than you think, I have one across the street from me!
    Conan - O'Brien's made this one very pleasant again
    Cosmo - On my own list, it's a family name for me.
    Calvin - More Calvin & Hobbes than Calvinism these days, and Cal sounds pretty great next to Ava!
    Crispin -old Saint's name.
    Clement - possibly the most attractive "virtue" name for a guy.
    Cedric - Harry Potter didn't hurt this at all, it was played by the guy who went on to be Edward Cullen.
    Cyrus - Cy sounds pretty neat next to Ava too.

Well, that's about all I can think of at the moment. I hope that helps and maybe something there will strike you as "it". Good luck!

I think Carter is very cute and goes well with Ava. Some other suggestions:

Cort
    Caleb
    Colton
    Calvin
    Cade
    Cayden
    Carson
    Camden
    Corbin
    Curtis

I'm actually a big fan of Charles with Ava! I think Carter goes with Ava sound-wise, but do agree that stylistically it's a bit different. But I don't think they're so different that they don't work together. It definitely works better than Cian. Here are a few more ideas:

Callum
    Christian (love this with Ava)
    Chance
    Cooper

Good luck!
    :: o l i v e ::

In addition to many of the other names listed above, I love Clayton and Clark. Clark is an old time movie star name, and so is Ava. Also I love Charles nn Charlie. Is "Ch" okay? Just thought of Corin, Clive and Clyde. Ava and Clive would be cute. "V" sounds are so fun. If it were me, I would pick Ava and Clark because I just love Old Hollywood. There are also Cody and Casey, but I don't really care for those. Maybe you love that cowboy sound.

Also thought of Chester, Cormac, and Cruz.

Another vote for Clark or Charles. How handsome!

I'll third Clark, so handsome! Love the old Hollywood thing, but it's not over the top at all. Love it!
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

How about Cashel?

Ava and Cade sound really nice together!

I like Charlie and Ava!
    Or Christian!