Menu

Thread: Time Capsule

Time Capsule

I found one of my very first name lists (from around age 12) recently. A few are ahead of the times...others are just plain awful. Has anyone else had a name obsession since childhood? If so, what were some of your first favorites? These were mine...

Daisy Caroline
    Ava Grace
    Devon Rose (This one kills me! It sounds like an exotic dancer!)
    Hallie Autumn (blech)
    Cassandra Jane
    Emma Celeste

Abel James
    Dillon Foster (yes, this was around the time 90210 came on the scene!)
    Gray Addison
    Jackson David
    Winston John (family name)
    Evan Alexander
    :: o l i v e ::

Re: Time Capsule

I wish I could find my lists, but yes, I was obsessed even as a kid. Here are some of the ones I remember loving in grade school; a few I still like, but most make me cringe:

Boys:
    Amadeus
    Anthony
    Benjamin
    Bernard
    Camden
    Ellis
    Jeremy
    Leonard (nn Lenny)
    Oliver & Olivier
    Pablo
    Shane
    Xanadu (yes, as in Citizen Kane or Kubla Kahn)

Girls:
    Ardeen
    Berenice
    Chloe
    Colette
    Fiona
    Liat
    Lorraine
    Michaela
    Molly, Millie, Nellie
    Shoshana
    Valerie
    Zara

Edit: Yours don't seem so bad in comparison to these, now do they? :D

You just have a much wider variety! I love Amadeus, Ellis, and Oliver. And I've always had a secret crush on the name Shoshana. It's just so lush and romantic. Colette, Chloe, and Zara are lovely too. But my overall fave would have to be Xanaduyou obviously have a creative spirit ;)
    :: o l i v e ::

No worries, Olive, I've had a name obsession since I got my first name book in the 5th grade. (It was called Names, Names, Names: a Book for You, and it had a pink cover with girls' names, then you flipped it over and upside down and it had a blue cover with boys' names.) I don't have any of my lists anymore, but my first forays were rather dull: Mary, Laura, Caroline and Grace, the four girls from the Little House on the Prairie books. I do give myself forerunner points, though, because my first "novel" (written in the 7th grade) had a heroine named Violet. Take that, Jen and Ben!

I was obsessed with names beginning before preschool, when I spent my days caring for my doll, named Baby Anne, and wondering what I would name her siblings. I loved naming my dollhouse people, too!

I named subsequent dolls:

Katherine
    Molly
    Grace
    Abigail (before Abigail was revived, as this was in the 80's)
    Andrew
    Victoria
    Elizabeth

Other than little Molly, I always loved classic names. I remember my favorites:

Rose
    Caroline
    Grace
    Anne
    Victoria
    Madeline (way before it became popular)
    Elizabeth

I was obsessed with Andrew and Zachary for boys, and loved Alexander, too!

I also remember going through a phase in which I wanted to be named Samantha, due to Who's the Boss?.

I think the way I got obsessed with names was through my father's bedtime stories. He would think up stories during the day and tell them to us at bedtime. We got to make up the characters' names. I remember one family had the last name Peanut Butter. But I can't remember any of the names we made up. Some of his stories were utterly terrifying, and I think that may be why I have trouble falling asleep.
    The first favorite names I remember really liking a lot were probably from when I was in elementary school:
    Julie (Up a Road Slowly)
    Susan
    Annika
    Laura (Ingalls Wilder)
    Samantha
    Tabitha
    Tommy (Dr. Doolittle's Voyages)
    Jim (Treasure Island)
    Peter
    Daniel
    Israel
    David
    Tony - because of "I Dream of Jeannie"
    Sally (when I was really little I think this was my fave.)
    Jill (loved this name when I was really little because there was a beautiful little white dog named Jill who lived across the street. She looked like a little lamb.)
    I probably loved a lot of names, but can't remember them all.
    Then I remember in high school, I started liking a lot of names:
    Ian
    Evan
    Jackson
    Alexander
    Giles
    Jasper
    Seymour (because of J. D. Salinger)
    Simon
    Ginger
    Jane
    Evelyn
    Frances
    Hannah
    Constance
    Daphne
    I started loving Sabrina in college because of the old movie.

lola Guest

My favorite names as a kid were the real oddballs I found in the encylopedia. I started reading around my second birthday and have never looked back! I went through all the encylopedias in the house before I was 5.

Porfirio
    Evelyn, on a guy
    Donatello
    James, Raphael & Timothy from the Bible Pop had
    Zelda - I'm still not sure where this one came from, I named my favorite stuffed elephant Zelda at maybe 1 and a half!
    Lucy
    Dorothea form a friend of the family
    Bess - I've never liked the lispy Beth!
    I liked stuff Like Sophie, Mary & Miriam as a kid too.

Probably a ton more, I didn't make lists as a kid, rather I kept them in my head, because there were so few I actually did like.

Funnily enough, I like Hattie now but didn't as a little kid. her and Addie lived three doors down from us when we were young and they were the old ladies who couldn't stand kids, always yelling at us all to be quiet or get off their lawn. I think I was in HS before I liked Hattie, I still don't like Addie, at all!

lola Guest

My favorite names as a kid were the real oddbalss I found in the encylopedia. I started reading around my second birthday and have never looked back! I went through all the encylopedias in the house before I was 5.

Porfirio
    Evelyn, on a guy
    Donatello
    Zelda - I'm still not sure where this one came from, I named my favorite stuffed elephant Zelda at maybe 1 and a half!
    Lucy

Probably a ton more, I didn't make lists as a kid, rather I kept them in my head, because there were so few I actually did like.

Funnily enough, I like Hattie now but didn't as a little kid. her and Addie lived three doors down from us when we were young and they were the old ladies who couldn't stand kids, always yelling at us all to be quiet or get off their lawn. I think I was in HS before I liked Hattie, I still don't like Addie, at all!

lola Guest

My favorite names as a kid were the real oddbalss I found in the encylopedia. I started reading around my second birthday and have never looked back! I went through all the encylopedias in the house before I was 5.

Porfirio
    Evelyn, on a guy
    Donatello
    Lucy