Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cisco as a nickname for Christopher?

My husband would love to name our son Christopher but I don't like the nn Chris...or Topher. Would it work to nickname him Cisco? Would people hear Crisco?

Re: Cisco as a nickname for Christopher?

I can totally see kids calling him Crisco or putting "San Fran" before "Cisco," but it is a really creative nickname, and there's always the possibility that he won't be teased. That said, kids can be cruel, so if you're concerned, how about using Christoper as a middle name, or even calling him by his middle name?

Have you thought about other nicknames, such as Chip or Kit?

lola Guest

Cisco's kind of cool. I think Cisco Kid before Crisco, myself (and I bake, a lot!) but I'd think Kit or Chip (prefer Kit myself) as a more mainstream alternative. As someone with a Leo & Simon, who get called things like Giant, Pumpkin, HeMan, Zeppo, and Harpo, yeah, sometimes nicknames come out of nowhere and work despite the "non mainstream" sort of thing. I'd keep Cisco in my back pocket and not sread it around too much, wouldn't want that one becoming a mainstream nickname until I used it!

It also makes me think of Bruce Campbell (*swoon*!) too, but he was Brisco County Jr. Not Cisco kid. Still, my mind makes the leap. And there is no one cooler than Bruce Campbell! :D

I know someone named Christopher whoes NN is Toph... just another thought. I think you can give your child any NN you think suits them :)

I really love the nickname Cisco and don't associate it with Crisco. I knew a Cisco whose real name was Francisco. But I don't know how well Cisco would go over in many parts of our country. The Cisco I knew lived in Colorado Springs. He fit in there. Cisco would also work in L.A. where I live now.

Cisco for me has an immediate association with Sysqo (or however he spells it), which makes me start singing, "Let me see that thong-th-thong-thong-thong." Of course, I am a child of the 90s, so maybe that wouldn't be much of an issue when he gets to middle school.

Actually, the first thing I think of when I here Cisco is the technology company (I am trained in the IT field). As a person's name (or nickname) it's not my style.

OK, so this thread is really old now, but I just thought I'd add that I like the nickname, and it reminds me of Commander Sisko on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine."

That was my first thought too. I prefer Kit as a nickname for Christopher, I went to high school with twins named Kit and Ian.

I know a Francisco nn Cisco and I don't think he gets teased about the thong song but I can't see the nn working for Christopher
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eléonor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Aenor, Bérangère, Bérénice, Catalina, Honorine, Nadezhda Boys: Augustin, Calixte, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Maxandre, Maxence, Yves