Bruno Edward
    Barnaby Edward
    August Edward
    Arthur Henry
    Alasdair Barnaby
    Linus Willem

What would you call my style?

Re: What's my Style?

hmmm...i love them all. they seem to have a sort of rogue, masculine flair. not meat-head, beer-drinking masculine ;) but clearly masculine. refined though. this is going to sound random, but they make me think of a cozy little restaurant that serves impeccable food but isn't the least bit pretentious. not sure if there's an adjective for that!
    :: o l i v e ::

Rufus Wilder-of course I still love this
    Cosmo Willem-love Cosmo, could love Willem, need to think about it
    Remy Edward-so gorgeous
    Bruno Edward-ditto!
    Barnaby Edward-love, but don't love Barney
    August Edward-so handsome, but I think I love gorgeous more than handsome (see above)
    Arthur Henry-this is my favorite, favorite! I'm sorry but if I had a baby to name right now who was a little boy, I would have to name him Arthur. Arthur Andrew sounds kind of odd, though, but I think I would choose that. My father was Kenneth Arthur. Also I love King Arthur!
    Alasdair Barnaby-lots of fun
    Linus Willem-My good friend named her son Linus, and he is so cute with blonde curly hair and has worn interesting little colorful glasses from the time he was three years old.

What would you call my style?
    I would call your boy name style playful mixed with International and with a lot of layers. Kind of like an old woodsy room with Gothic windows on two walls and lots of built-in bookshelves with crumbling books. But then the room has bright Batik embroidered pillows with round mirrors sewn onto them. The pillows are tossed upon some of the antique overstuffed ever-so slightly-shabby leather and velvet couches and overstuffed chairs, and there are lots of tangerine, avocado, maise, and raspberry-colored candles burning. Of course it is autumn and there is a fire in the fireplace.

Coffee-house chic. These guys wear gray cashmere turtlenecks, read Kant and Pascal for fun, and will deliver a total beat-down on the soccer and/or rugby field. International males, macho but with Continental panache.

Rufus Wilder -- pairing these two is genius; Wilder takes Rufus and makes him drop-dead gorgeous

Cosmo Willem-- I've been converted to Cosmo, but Willem doesn't do much for me

Remy Edward-- love, love, LOVE. Both handsome names, doubly so together

Bruno Edward-- it's funny how most people envision Bruno as a big (brawny?) guy; all the Bruno's I know are kind of short and delicate. :)

Barnaby Edward-- I'm coming to love Barney entirely because of the character on "How I Met Your Mother"

August Edward -- objectively I love the name, I think it's absolutely beautiful, but for some reason I can't picture a man named August. Auguste I'm familiar with, but I'm still working on August.

Arthur Henry-- nice, but a wee bit prep school fabulous

Alasdair Barnaby-- Alasdair is such a fun name; he just sounds like someone I'd love to be around

Linus Willem-- Linus is adorable; Willem still isn't turning my head

So whatever your style is, Lola, I am in awe of your knack for digging up treasure and assembling poetic combinations seemingly out of thin air. You've just got a gift for it!

lola Guest

Aww, thanks gang! I've never really tried to figure out my style. I just sort of stick things together until they feel right, if that makes any sense. Nice to see them getting a warm reception, boys names seem to get no love. Ever notice how boys names forums are slow? It's like people pour their energy into girls names when boys are just as much fun to name, and with them, you get to see it forever, girls change their names but the glorious full thing stays on the boys. Why wouldn't you want to spend a bit more enegry on that? Does anyone else think boys get shortchanged or is it just me?

But thanks, I feel all warm & fuzzy now! :D

lola Guest

Oh, and Melissa? I'm liking Barney myself for the same reason. He's feeling all warm & comfortable to me these days, like a sweater on a lovely fall day, crisp, clear & above all, warm. :)

Susan, I think August Edward is headed off the list, he's lovely, but I have August several other places and they equally honor Mom.

If I were choosing one of these names for myself, I would pick Arthur Henry. But considering the names of your other children, for you I would choose either Rufus Wilder or Remy Edward. It's hard to decide because they're both so cute!

Rufus Wilder. No question.

peach Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lola
    Aww, thanks gang! I've never really tried to figure out my style. I just sort of stick things together until they feel right, if that makes any sense. Nice to see them getting a warm reception, boys names seem to get no love. Ever notice how boys names forums are slow? It's like people pour their energy into girls names when boys are just as much fun to name, and with them, you get to see it forever, girls change their names but the glorious full thing stays on the boys. Why wouldn't you want to spend a bit more enegry on that? Does anyone else think boys get shortchanged or is it just me?

But thanks, I feel all warm & fuzzy now! :D
    Yes, I think you are right. It seems most people use family names and/or naming traditions for boys so there is less creativity overall. Also, I hear a lot of concern about boys' names that might induce teasing. Over the years there is a lot less and slower change in the boys names lists than the girls. Girls names are more subject to trendiness too.

I used to think boys names were pretty boring but my husband's influence has changed my thought process: there are amazing musicians, writers, and family members that I would love to name our future son after and the names will have special meaning for us both. I guess I use the same basic inspirations for girls but am even more choosy...