Menu

Would you name your child after a song you liked?

For instance, I love the song 'Sara' by Jefferson Starship and I love the song 'Angie' by the Rolling Stones. Would you name a child a name based solely on a song that you really like/love having that name in the lyrics? Since I love both songs it gives me a good association with both names, plus I just like the look of 'Sara', it looks so pretty...

Re: Would you name your child after a song you liked?

I always wanted to name my daughter Emily after very early Pink Floyd's "See Emily Play" but then Emily got to be so popular. Brian Eno has a song with the name Rosalie in it, but my husband hates that name. I also love Maxwell from "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" or whatever it's called by the Beatles. I know, I'm really dating myself with all these choices. Lucy is so pretty from "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". I also love "Avalon" by Roxy Music. We named our dog after Roxy Music. That's my favorite group. I also love "Cecilia" by Paul Simon.

lola Guest

Susan, Funny you should mention Emily. I wanted to name a girl Emily back on 1976 when I discovered Simon & Garfunkel's For Emily, wherever she should be"

If I really loved the song, "Cecilia" comes to mind, heck yeah, I'd use it! II hated the fact that my name was in a song or two as a kid, nobody ever sing "Tell Laura I Love Her" or Laura" to me, I'll punch you! :P But After I named Josephine, I found several songs with her name in it, and downloaded them all, I love "Ride on Josephine" by George Thorogood & the destroyers!

Something like Sara, however; I'd not worry about anything related, there are so many Sara/h's running around I doubt anyone thinks of songs with her name in it. It actually might be a bonus for her when she's bigger. And think of this, she could use that song for her "Daddy dance" at her wedding! (Now that makes me all teary, thinking about that!)

I have to say, I pretty much roll my eyes every time the Allman Brothers' "Sweet Melissa" comes on. Some "clever" person always points out: "Hey, it's your song!" In high school, my friend Angie was absolutely tortured by people (including me) who felt compelled to sing rather than speak her name. It's irresistible! Ditto for a friend named Diana-- she was always, always "Dirty Diana."

That said, there are some songs where, say, the name is only in the title, or only mentioned a couple of times rather than providing its entire hook; in those cases, I wouldn't mind so much.

Haha, I named my fish after Beatles' songs. And yes I would do that. I love some names because of songs and I definitely wouldn't say no to any name just because it was in a song.

For example, I think Maggie May and Lucy Skye are both gorgeous names, and I got them both from Beatles' songs.

Quote Originally Posted by lola
    I hated the fact that my name was in a song or two as a kid, nobody ever sing "Tell Laura I Love Her" or Laura" to me, I'll punch you!
    Would the Kinks get someone punched? Loooola, lo-lo-lo-lo-lo-la! ;)

I love the song "Daniel" by Elton John, but Daniel is so popular in California. We know at least ten of them.
    I love the song "Lola". The Kinks are incredible!
    This is a really different kind of song, but I love "An Silvia" by Schubert.

lola Guest

Melissa, No, I like that one, it's upbeat. I've found I prefer songs that are. Whiny, sad songs are the kind I hate. Think "Barry Manilow" for the most part, he's the type of music I loathe. I have sevreal friends that sing :Lola" to me, even in type. And one friend sings "Whatever Lola wants... Lola gets" to me. Which suits me just fine! :D