Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Return of Classic Names

I'm generally a person who likes rather unique names, but recently, I'm finding myself in love with the somewhat plain, rather un-unique classic, simple, and elegant names like Anne, Jane, Leah, Hannah, Eleanor, Thomas, Nathan, George, and Henry.

What do you think? Am I becoming dowdy, or are people ready for some fresh oldies? I'm really considering naming my next child one of these names or a similar name... what's your honest opinion?

Re: The Return of Classic Names

Carrie, the names you listed don't feel plain at all; classics are just that, timeless and oblivious to trends. They are always fresh and accessible, because while there might always be one Thomas in a class, very rarely are there more than one. (Unlike the three Ashtons I'm currently teaching-- two girls, one boy.)

One of my favorite things about classic names is that they can't be pinned down to a certain era. Take my name-- pretty much every Melissa in this country is between 25 and 35; likewise, 20 years from now college dorms will be flooded with Avas and Isabellas. Anne or Jane will always stand out in that crowd.

I don't consider them plain at all.
    To me they are timeless, always fresh and always beautiful!

I agree, while some of these names might be more popular now then they were 5 years ago (Eleanor, Henry), they have always been around. Names like that hit the right note of familiar yet not horribly popular/trendy. And plain can be pretty!! Anne sounds pretty good compared to a million Kendras and Addisons.

I'm in the same boat, Carrie. I've always liked the weirdest names, but now that it actually comes time to name a child, I'm loving classics. I think part of it is that so many kids now have "unique" names, making it less than unique. Classics sound fresher right now than off-the-wall choices do. That's why I, who all my family is expecting some ridiculous name from, am probably naming my son James. It's timeless, will never sound dated, I'll never say "oh god, what were we thinking naming him that?", we won't always hear "oh, that's an interesting name" (with that tone people give), ya know? However, we're going to balance it with something unique, so I'm not completely giving up my old ways.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Just adding a few more that I've thought of to the list:

John
    Frank
    Samuel
    Edward

Charlotte
    Kate
    Grace
    Rose

Does anyone know of any more classic, timeless names?

If you click on "Hot Lists," Pam and Linda have compiled a list of classic names! :-)

I love classic and vintage names, because to me, the vintage names are classic. (Genevieve, Emmeline, Annabelle, Cora, Clementine....)

Anne (I'm going back to it due to Annabelle's popularity)
    Rose
    Grace
    Tess
    Maude
    Charlotte
    Laura
    Catherine
    Eliza
    Elizabeth
    Amelia
    Beatrice
    Louisa
    Josephine
    Georgia
    Hope
    Jane
    Julia
    Juliet
    Margaret
    Nora
    Nell
    Helen/Helena
    Susannah
    Mary
    Caroline

(I tried to keep it to classics, but may have included some vintage names in there!)

I think Jane and George are two of the great names.

I love Jane and Samuel - can you beat how cute and simple the name Sam is? Neither go well with my last name (imo) but I still love them.

I think classic names are classics for a reason, they have lovely sounds that in fifty years won't sound the way the once-trendy Bertha sounds to us.