Menu

Thread: Unisex Names

Unisex Names

I have to say, I'm finding myself more and more drawn to unisex names. I guess I prefer boys names on girls rather than the other way around, but I'm just wondering... what do you think about unisex names? What are your favorites? Do you think their troublesome? Cute?

I know some people use only unisex names, while others loathe even the idea of a unisex name and I thought it'd be interesting to get a feel for what nameberry namers think about it.

Re: Unisex Names

I LOVE unisex names(for girls), but I love girly names more.
    I wonder what would qualify a name as unisex, is it when a traditionally male or female name is used even once on the other or is it when it becomes common to hear that name on the other?

Some girls I know off the top of my head:
    Greer(this is one of my favorite names for a girl)
    Jentri
    Collin
    Landen
    Hayden
    Elliot
    Corbin
    McBride
    Kirkland
    Brady
    Barry

Some of them seemed really out there when I first met these people, but they've all grown on me...for that particular person :)

I love Greer too! One of my favorites!

There's often a feeling of freshness and newness when a boy's name is put on a girl. My own tastes run more to the ultra-feminine, but I do have a soft spot for French girls' names that are identical or similar to classic male forms: Simone, Claude, Laurence, Frederique. There's something quite *chic* about them.

For more American-ized names, lately Rowan has been growing on me for a girl.

I like quite a few unisex names, but I'm not as afraid as some people to use a name of this type that has become more popular for girls on a boy (within reason; I probably wouldn't use a name like Ashley or Madison for a boy, but I'd happily use one like Riley or Rowan that is used fairly equally for both genders, or even a name like Avery or Morgan that has become female-dominated but is still not out of the woods for a boy).

In response to melissa2's post about names sounding fresh on the opposite gender, I feel the same about some names that were co-opted by the girls and have since become dated as such. Such names I think would sound fresh again on a boy if we were willing to use them as such. As I mentioned in this post I probably wouldn't use one that was still popular on the girl's side or has not been heard of as a male name in a long time (like the examples of Ashley and Madison, or a name like Vivian which hasn't been widely used on males here in a very long time), but some names that I think could work that I like are Dana, Kelly, and Shannon. Other possibles that I heard someone else mention in a previous topic (I think it was lyndsayjenness) are Lindsay and Taylor.

Greyson!

love, love this for a girl :)

In my country using unisex names is forbidden by law. The name should indicate the gender of the baby. I fully agree with that and even if I lived in the US, I would never choose a gender neutral name. I don't even want to imagine my little son named for example Alison (which is a French nn for Alice, originally girly) or my little daughter named Cameron.

I do like unisex names! I would never use Dana, Shannon or Ashley on a boy though. I really like Taylor on a little girl and the name for Quinn. I really like Haley on a little boy though but I would just keep Morgan on a little boy though. And I do prefer Mackenzie on a girl.
    Chloe Louise ~ 18 ~ England!

Jonathan Michael ~ Edmund Sawyer ~ Finn Alexander ~
    Gardner Atticus ~ Christopher Jude ~ Emerson Paul ~
    River Samuel ~ Isaac Oliver.

Heather Michele ~ Cassia May ~ Adelaide Louise ~
    Natalie Elizabeth ~ Marjorie Rose ~ Joy Rosalind ~
    Anya Cordelia ~ Cressida Hope.

@Germanstar: No offence, but isn't it better to create a new thread instead of posting in one that is five years old?
    mama to a beautiful girl
    and hoping for a 2020 baby!