Menu

Fyvie - have you heard of this name?

I'm not sure about the spelling, but my friend and I were discussing baby names a while ago and he mentioned that he would love to call his daughter Fyvie. I think that this is a gorgeous name and I would like to know if any of you have heard of it before? He said it was Scottish, so the actual spelling could be quite different. Thanks!

lola Guest

Re: Fyvie - have you heard of this name?

I've searched for a good half hour and can't find anything that's even close, beyond the masculine Fife/Fyfe and the feminine Fifi. I suppose you could use it as an odd sort of nickname from Fiona but the sound isn't really appealing to me. Maybe you could sell him on Fiona, perchance?

Fyvie reminds me of the male Yiddish name (at least I think it's Yiddish) "Fyvush," which was the name of Fyfush Finkel (I hope I spelled it correctly!), the star of Fiddler On The Roof.

I don't care for Fyvie, as it sounds like the number five (five me fivey!), or the result of someone with a speech impediment trying to say "Ivy."

Perhaps he'd consider Ivy or even Felicity?

Never heard of it-- my first thought was Fieval (sp?), the mouse in "An American Tail." But he was definitely a boy. (Random association, I know, but I was young and it was traumatic in a "Bambi" kind of way.)

Awe!!! I loved liittle Fievel! I still cry when I hear "Somewhere Out There." (Yes, I'm a dork, and I never claimed otherwise.) :-)

No, have not heard of Fyvie either, and I am very interested in Scottish names as I married a Glaswegian, my kids are half-Scottish and I lived up there for fifteen years.

Maybe it is a nickname for Fife? That would be one possibility, Jill.

I came across Ferelith the other day - it was in an obituary (yes, I am sad enough to scan the deaths as well as the births) and I suspect it is pronounced like Meredith. Rather pretty?
    I also came across Freydis, which must be a version of Freya.

Love coming across new names!
    xxx

I wonder if the name comes from Fyvie Castle in Aberdeenshire, Scotland? This 13th century castle is said to be one of the most haunted places in Scotland which (if you ask me) makes "Fyvie" a coooool name. :)

The castle takes its name from the nearby village of Fyvie, a name which (according to information-britain.co.uk) is derived from "Fywin" which in turn is derived from the Gaelic flodh abhuinn meaning "wilderness by the river."

Side note to Ailsa: I truly envy you for having lived in Scotland for some years. When I visited Scotland, I thought it was one of the most beautiful places on earth!

-- Nephele

I have heard of it but not as a name as such. Fyvie roses are gorgeous and they grow in the park near where I live so I quite like the name as it reminds me of them.
    "Be the change that you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

please check out my list!: http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9785307