Menu

Help! Baby Girl Name

We will be having our first child, a little girl, in April. We have been having the hardest time picking a name. I thought we had it narrowed down to Charlotte Ann or Isla James but now my husband is stuck on the nickname Izzie. I do not want to name her Elizabeth because that is my name, his grandmothers, his aunts, and his cousin. Any form of Isabelle is out also. I am not a fan and my sister has loved that name for longer then I can remember and I am sure will have a daughter one day. So I thought maybe we could name her Isla and call her Izzie... would that be silly? Any other name suggestions would be great! We love classic but unique names.

Other names we had been considering:
    Ava
    Ella (Elizabeth but calling her Ella)
    Tetty (same as above)
    Eden
    Leighton
    Quinn

Please suggest anything you think would be beautiful! :)

Middle names we are trying to keep to a family name. These are the names we have to choose from but are not limiting ourselves to just these.

Ann
    Emily
    Marie
    Francis
    Molly
    Jane
    Elizabeth
    James
    McBride
    Benefield
    Christina
    Larabee

*our last name is 3 syllables starts with a D and ends with an L. Isabel rhymes with it...

Re: Help! Baby Girl Name

How about Isadora? It's more unusual than Isabel, solves the rhyming problem with your last name, and also leads you to Izzie.

I think Isla called Izzie kind of creates some pronunciation problems with Isla, which is really pronounced eye-la. But if you call her Izzie people might think you pronounce Isla iz-la.

Ava and Ella are both extremely trendy. Tetty I think is a playground nightmare. Quinn I really like.
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

ooh, Isadora would be the perfect solution! I think Isadora Jane sounds beautiful.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Isadora immediately came to mind to me too. It's associated with Isadora Duncan, giving it a graceful, avant-garde feel.

Ava: A classic name, but it's now quite trendy and not at all unique

Ella (Elizabeth but calling her Ella): Another classic that has become very trendy...

Tetty (same as above): Too close to "titty," which will be the root of endless teasing...

Eden: I do like Eden, and it's actually my favorite of the names you've listed. As you probably know, this is the name of Marcia Cross's twin, so the name may sound trendy.

Leighton: A masculine name that's neither classic nor unique....

Quinn: I do think Quinn is a great name.

I love the name Isla, and if you're comfortable using "Izzie" as her nickname, that's all that matters. I think it's pretty safe to say, however, that most people will hear her nickname as assume her name is either Isabell or Isabella. That said, if this doesn't annoy you, go for it!

I totally agree with Pam about Isadora, and am wondering how you feel about the name?

Some more ideas:
    Emmeline
    Genevieve
    Eliza
    Charlotte
    Josephine
    Louisa
    Cora
    Beatrix
    Clementine
    Daisy
    Maisie
    Eva
    Helena
    Beatrice
    Amelia
    Georgiana
    Iris
    Juliet
    Lydia
    Marielle
    Scarlett
    Eleanor
    Ruby
    Eloise
    Esme
    Matilda

Best wishes to you! :-)

I absolutely LOVE the names, Isla, Leighton and Quinn, they're gorgeous.
    If you used Elizabeth as a middle name you could still use the nickname Izzie. That might be stretching it a bit far though.

I think we are going to stick with Isla or Charlotte. I think the name is Isadora is beautiful I just don't think it fits. Thanks for all the help! I will let you know what she ends up being named :) This is so much harder then you imagine it! haha