Menu

Thread: Name Origins

Name Origins

I was posting a comment about Ozias on the "What Names Are You Considering for Your Baby" Message Board. Then I looked up Ozias and realized it is a Greek name. Suddenly, to my amazement I liked it a whole lot better! I just love Greek names. I would never name anybody Ozias, but now I mildly like it. At least I don't dislike it.
    So I am wondering, all of you fellow posters, do you have favorite name origins? If you think of a list of your favorite names, do they tend to have Greek, Latin, German, Hebrew, or Celtic roots? Or Persian or Hawaiian, African, etc., etc.?

lola Guest

Re: Name Origins

Mostly Latin & Greek origins for me, with a smattering of Hindi/Sikh because I adore them and Dutch/Slavic/Greek too, for the family stuff.

Same here Latin/Greek/Italian with a few German names tossed in the mix. What I really love is finding a name that is cross-cultural. One of the reasons we're still considering Ada, even though it's so close to Ava and will likely rise in popularity, is that I've found several meanings for it (English+Teutonic: happy, German: noble, sweet or pleasant, Hebrew: ornament, and my favorite, Nigerian: first daughter).
    :: o l i v e ::

I tend towards biblical names some so I suppose hebrew counts too, but the other is Welsh names, I just love them even when they're too out there to use they draw me in and I love to look and sound them out just for the pleasure of it

I love Latin and Greek names- my name is from Greek- and I found that I liked Ozias a whole lot better after I knew it was Greek! I like a few Gaelic/Celtic names, and some random names from a smattering of cultures, but I prefer the familiar. I also love Hebrew names.

I lean hard towards French names, but I have a crush on most exotic Spanish/Italian names as well. When I feel really wild, I love Thousand-and-one Nights style Arab names.

My fave names for my own family are Greek, Hebrew, Latin, and Celtic. When it comes to other people's name choices, I can appreciate all kinds of name origins except I don't usually like trendy, invented names and most place names.

I don't really like one origin in particular. My top five names are:
    1. Spencer- French
    2. Rhys- Welsh
    3. Sawyer- English
    4. Benjamin- Hebrew
    5. Declan- Gaelic

My favorite usable names tend to be Greek. That might be because I'm Greek and I'm used to those names or had instilled into me to use Greek names. I also tend to like Latin names and Hebrew/Biblical names. I have a few German names on my list too. All of my boys names are Greek or Hebrew. I have to say most of my GP names have a French sound to them (Madeleine, Marie, Josephine) even though their origins aren't French.
    ~ HTB
    Current Favorites:
    Ariadne | Zoe | Magdalena | Calliope | Georgiana | Cecilia | Jane | Elizabeth | Marta | Petra

Linus | Basil | Jude | Jonas | Augustus | Thomas | Jasper | Augustine | Dimitri | Gus

Have a fabulous day!

This thread is ancient.