Menu

Opinions on boy names...Ozias?

I don't know if its a boy or girl, but I love boy names that end with s.

My fave right now is Ozias, but honest opinions on that name would be appreciated. I want to pronounce it "oh-zias" not "ah-zias" but I want to have the nn Ozi (pronounced "ah-zee") if we want. Do you think that is too weird to change "oh" to "ah" (as in Ozi?) for the nn?

Others I like:

Titus
    Esaias
    Elias

Others that I like but can't use:
    Linus
    Silas

Any other ideas? My daughter's name is Tovah. Thank you so much for your thoughts!

Re: Opinions on boy names...Ozias?

Ozias isn't 100 % my style, but I do love Elias, Linus and Silas, so I appreciate your love of the -as /-us names! I think it would be fine to nickname him Ozzie (though I prefer this spelling to Ozi if you want it to be pronounced Ah-zee). A few other names that you might like:

Julius
    Mathias
    Phineas
    Thaddeus

Good luck!
    :: o l i v e ::

I immediately thought of Josias, which has the same sound while being a little more user-friendly.

Other ideas:
    Atticus
    Amos
    Cassius
    Innis
    Magnus
    Rhys
    Matthias
    Cyrus (love Cy as nn)
    Curtis (a personal fave)

I don't have a problem with Ozias, other than the two long o's doesn't make for a fluid combo (Tovah and Ozias); I'd also recommend spelling the nn Ozzy to get your point across. (Ozzy is super cute!)

While Ozias isn't my style (too far out there for me), it does have a nice sound. I would have pronounced it Ah-zee-as, as when I see "Oz," I immediately think of the Wizard of Oz (and I'm guessing I'm not alone.) The name is also spelled as Osias, which would eliminate the pronuncation issues, I think, and would still enable you to nickname him Ozzie (I think you need two z's in there).

Titus: For me, this is just too heavy a name for a child, and I'm concerned about the whole "tit" thing.

Esaias: This one looks too scrambled for me, and I prefer Osias.

Elias: I LOVE this one!

Others that I like but can't use:
    Linus-Not a fan (think of Peanuts...)
    Silas- I think of the crazy monk in the DaVinci Code

Anders
    Angus
    Cadmus
    Gus
    Harris
    Ignatius
    Lazarus
    Lucas
    Miles
    Mingus
    Remus
    Rufus
    Augustus
    Ellis
    Nicholas
    Tobias
    Davis
    Jonas
    Maximus

Best wishes!

(Edited to remove my oopsie about Osias being Biblical. Uh, yeah. I don't know what I was thinking there!) :-)

I love Elias like crazy because it sounds beautiful and it's Greek. I'm not Greek-wish I were-but I just love Greek names. Also love Oscar. But Ozias is too out there for me. Okay, I just looked up Ozias and it is Greek! Now I like it better-isn't that amazing?

Quote Originally Posted by susan
    Okay, I just looked up Ozias and it is Greek! Now I like it better-isn't that amazing?
    Susan, you're hilarious! Thanks for a good laugh to start the day.