Menu

Thread: Sibling names

Sibling names

Hello!
    I don't have any kids yet but planning on it some time in the near future. Since I am not from an English speaking country, but my children will grow up in the US, I would like to know if the names have any bad connotations that I am not aware of.
    I like the names Ellen/Eleanor, Clara/Claire, Jonah and Lucas.
    I would love to know what you think of first when you hear those names!

Also if you have different suggestions, I would love to hear them.
    Thanks!

Re: Sibling names

I like the names Ellen/Eleanor, Clara/Claire, Jonah and Lucas.
    I would love to know what you think of first when you hear those names!

Hi there! I really like the names you have chosen (especially Eleanor!), and I'm happy to let you know that none of them have negative associations or meanings in the U.S. .

Ellen- For me, this is rather dated, but if you love it, go for it!

Eleanor- I love, love, love Eleanor! It's a timeless classic, and quite elegant. Eleanor's nicknames (Nell, Ellie, Nora, etc.) are gorgeous, too, and I just adore everything about the name.

Clara: I'll forever associate this with the Nutcracker, but that's not a bad thing. It's a beautiful name, but be aware that while some pronounce it "Claire-uh," others may say it as "Clar-uh."

Claire: Another gorgeous name. You asked about negative associations, and while it's minor, this name does indeed have one. In the 80's movie "The Breakfast Club," Molly Ringwald's character's name is Claire. Judd Nelson, who plays the slacker, informs her that Claire is a "fat girl's" name. Unfortunately, every time I hear the name, I do think of this, and I'm sure I'm not alone. This, however, would never stop me from using the name (it's a popular name in the U.S.), especially as a middle name. If anything, I'm just annoyed that I always think of that movie line when I hear the name.

Jonah: A great name!

Lucas: Another great name!

You've chosen some lovely names, and I'd be happy to give you some more ideas that reflect your love of Eleanor, Clara, etc. (I'm a classic names lover, too!)

Annabelle
    Alice
    Emmeline
    Genevieve
    Rose
    Charlotte
    Josephine
    Louisa
    Amelia
    Beatrice
    Clementine
    Caroline
    Daisy
    Eve
    Georgia
    Katherine
    Catherine
    Laura
    Lila
    Scarlett
    Tess
    Vivienne
    Cora
    Eliza
    Lucy
    Frances
    Eva
    Violet
    Helena
    Felicity

Edward
    Oliver
    Henry
    Harrison
    Nathaniel
    Benjamin
    Charles
    George
    William
    August
    Milo
    Everett
    Ezra
    Gideon
    Owen
    Sebastian
    Theodore

Good luck!

Great! Thanks a lot!
    I told those names to my sister a few weeks ago and she thought Jonah was a girls' name.
    I could imagine it being quite hard for a boy growing up with a name that is considered feminine. However it seems to be mainly used as a name for boys in English. Is that something I have to worry about?
    I really like some of the names from the list, especially Rose/Rosemary and Sebastian.

Quote Originally Posted by arachnoidea
    Great! Thanks a lot!
    I told those names to my sister a few weeks ago and she thought Jonah was a girls' name.
    I could imagine it being quite hard for a boy growing up with a name that is considered feminine. However it seems to be mainly used as a name for boys in English. Is that something I have to worry about?
    I really like some of the names from the list, especially Rose/Rosemary and Sebastian.
    Is your sister in the U.S.? I ask, because Jonah is a boy's name; a Biblical boy's name. There is a girl's name, Joan, and while Jonah does begin with the "Joan" sound and have an "ah" ending, it is 100% boy! I do see how it could sound a bit feminine, but I just want to assure you that it isn't a name that's used on boy's and girls.

This site (and previously posted answers on other posts in the forum) has some great name ideas!

Best wishes to you!

No my sister is living in Germany and here it can definitely be used for both sexes.
    I was thinking about similar names, but I can't name him Jonas, because of family troubles and my husband is not a fan of Jonathan. Are there any other similar sounding names?

Hmm...Similar to Jonah, excluding Jonas and Jonathan? Well, if I include both similar sounding and Biblical names, the following are possibilities:

Joseph
    Joaquin
    Joshua
    Johan
    Josiah
    Jasper
    Jude
    Jeremy
    Julian
    Jacob
    James
    Caleb