Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Having a hard time with boy names

We are having our second child (our girl is named Beatrice Elizabeth) and really struggling with boy names that won't sound too masculine and standard, too strangely made up or too feminine and likely to be made fun of on the playground.
    Here are some we've found (be honest!):
    Jasper
    Felix
    Declan
    Eamon
    Eagen
    Archer
    Barnaby
    Lincoln
    Everett
    Quilliam (Irish form of William, my grandfather's name)

Re: Having a hard time with boy names

For some reason, I see Barnaby and Felix having a rough time on the playground. Barnaby in particular. Felix is becoming a bit more popular so maybe your Felix would be spared the jokes -- if you subscribe to the theory that kids won't make fun of something familiar.

I absolutely love Archer. It's a real standout for me.

A suggestion: I think Colm (Collum) is a nice match with Beatrice.

Jasper: I do like this, and while it sounds like Casper, your little boy will be spared the inevitable ghost jokes
    Felix: This sounds nice with Beatrice, and I don't see teasing as a problem
    Declan: While it doesn't flow with Beatrice (my opinion only!) as well as some of the others due to its Irish roots, it is a lovely name
    Eamon: I worry about spelling and pronunciation problems, and Eamon doesn't appeal to me (but that's just me!)
    Eagen: I just think of "eek!"
    Archer: I'm not a fan of Archer, as all I think of is archery, which then leads me to think of violence
    Barnaby: I do fear that little Barnaby will certainly be brutally teased. Firstly, the name isn't head often, and secondly, he'll be associated with Barney the dinosaur.
    Lincoln: This is one of those names that I do like, but just not for me.
    Everett: I'm really liking this name, and I do love it with Beatrice
    Quilliam (Irish form of William, my grandfather's name): It's a nice name, but I'd be concerned about little Quilliam spending the rest of his life saying, "No! It's QUILLiam, NOT WILLiam!"

Of the above names, I like Everett and Felix best with Beatrice. Here are some more ideas:

Dexter
    Phinaeus
    Theodore (I'm guessing this is too common for you, so I'll just quickly remind you of Oliver, Henry, Nathaniel, William, Edward, Charles, Benjamin, etc.)
    Dashiell
    Milo
    August
    Augustin
    Callum
    Hugo
    Finnian
    Magnus
    Truman
    Conrad
    Thaddeus
    Everett
    Emmett
    Gideon
    Ezra
    Malcolm
    Duncan
    Alastair
    Owen
    Colin

Best wishes to you!

Jasper : I love it. I don't see anything bad about this name, other than the fact that it might get a bit popular

Felix : I've been hearing this one quite a bit lately, but I still think it's a great name. Might be a little bit trendy

Declan : I don't really like it

Eamon : I'm not sure how to pronounce this

Eagen : Same

Archer : I love it. Gorgeous name. Only things to say about it

Barnaby : A bit unusual, but in a good way. I think it's a beautiful name, and it goes well with Beatrice. Just keep in mind he'll probably be called Barney a lot

Lincoln : Oh, I don't think I've ever heard this as a first name. Interesting! I like it!

Everett : I like it, but I think you have better choices on your list

Quilliam : I love this. It's gorgeous, not popular but not made up, and it honors family. This would be a great choice

My favourites are Archer, Jasper and Quilliam. Let us know what you pick! :)

I really like Jasper, Eamon and Declan from your list. They all seem to fit well with Beatrice without being too close. I wouldn't use Barnaby as that would be a little matchy with Beatrice, or Felix as the endings are rather similar, though they are both fine names.

Archer reminds me of the alcoholic drink as well as the BBC Radio 4 farming soap 'The Archers'. Lincoln is strongly associated with the town in Lincolnshire. Eagen reminds me of vegan. I think Quilliam is a little too close to William, and would suffer from much confusion.

You may like: Asher, Donal or Quinn.

Jasper Quilliam is a very handsome name! I'm a huge Jasper fan though. I also like Everett, Felix and Archer quite a bit.
    :: o l i v e ::

I actually like Declan a lot. It's unusual, it's got tons of personality, and Deck is a rockin' nickname.

I love Declan and Jasper, too! And Cormac. Beatrice and Felix both mean happy!
    Also:
    Beatrice and Edward.
    Beatrice and Theodore nn Theo.
    Beatrice and Oliver.
    Beatrice and Chester. I love this combo!
    Beatrice and Lionel.
    Beatrice and Charles nn Charlie. I know, this is one of my faves.
    Beatrice and Alfred.
    Beatrice and George.

Jasper is my favorite with Beatrice. I also like:

Declan
    Eamon
    Lincoln