Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How Trendy Are These?

My list of possible names is growing as fast as my belly.(I've been put on bed rest and I'm going crazy searching for names!) Lately I've been seriously considering a few that I adore, but I'm very worried about their trendiness. I absolutely want to stay away from something that might become very popular, and end up sounding dated. I'm looking for a timeless name. What do you think of :

Matilda

Eleanor

Adelia

Alice

Amelia

Estella

Annabelle

August

Valentine (for a girl. It's very feminine in France and pronounced Valen-TEEN. I strongly dislike gender ambiguous names, and I'm afraid this falls in that category. Yes?)

Thank you so much for your help!

Re: How Trendy Are These?

I'm so sorry you're on bed rest, and I wish you well! For me, all of these names are classics, and always will be, no matter how popular they become. I say if you love a name, use it!

Matilda- I love this name, and the nickname "Tillie." It does, however, feel trendy to me (even though it's not popular), simply because I associate it with Heath Ledger's daughter.

Eleanor- Such a beautiful name that feels so timeless to me.

Adelia- Another gorgeous name, and I seriously don't see this one becoming massively popular anytime soon. I pronounce it A-dee-lee-uh, though others (including you!) may say it A-dell-ya. When it comes to trendiness, I'd only worry about people hearing the nickname "Addie," and thinking her name is Addison.

Alice- I love it!

Amelia- While the nickname Mia is trendy, I don't feel the same way about Amelia, even though it is in the top 100.

Estella- A gorgeous name! Stella, in my opinion, is very trendy, and while it's only part of the name, it does stand out for me.

Annabelle- This is one of my all-time favorites, and while it is climbing up the charts, I, for one, don't care! It's timeless (as are all of the names you've listed), cheerful, and elegant, combining so many wonderful attributes.

August- Is this for a boy or a girl? Augusta is great for a girl, and August is wonderful for a boy.

Valentine (for a girl. It's very feminine in France and pronounced Valen-TEEN. I strongly dislike gender ambiguous names, and I'm afraid this falls in that category. Yes?)-Another beautiful choice!

Every name you've listed is a gorgeous classic, and while I'm not an expert like Pam or Linda, I really feel that you can't go wrong with any of these names. Again, I'm not a name expert, but if I had to pick the names most in danger of becoming too popular, I'd have to select Amelia and Annabelle, and I'd go with Adelia and Valentine as the names least in danger of becoming overused.

You have fantastic names to choose from, and I wish you the best!

Thank you Jill, your comments are always so helpful! I'm going to sleep on them and comment again tomorrow. Bed rest is making me think about names 24/7. I recently found out my pregnancy is considered high-risk, so I'm going crazy with worry, and thinking about names is a wonderful distraction! As my doctor suspected because of my family history, I am having more than one baby. He wasn't full able to see or hear last time, but he thinks there might be three. I'm unable to even begin to think about triplets, so I'm in denial until I know for sure, and distracting myself with name searching!!

I probably should have mentioned I did mean August for a boy. I love Augustin, but I'm afraid it's too long to ever be pronounced in full. I'm a bit more focused on girl names cause I have a sneaking suspicion I'm having a girl. I guess I'll find out soon!

You're so welcome, Sophia. (I love your name, by the way!) I'm so sorry about the whole bed rest thing, but at least you can pass the time thinking of beautiful names.
    :-)

Wait. You're having twins? Wow! Congratulations, Sophia! Are you due soon? How exciting!

I'm relieved that August is indeed for a boy, and I do love, love, love that name!

By the way, I love Valentine (and Valentina, too), and forgot to delete your comment before leaving my own above.

Hang in there! :-)

I am most likely having twins. At my last ultrasound, my doctor thought there might be three, not two. I'm a little terrified at the idea of triplets so like I said earlier, I'm in denial for now and hoping it's just two! I'm due in the summer :)

Some more thoughts about the latest names :

Matilda : What I really love is Mathilde, the French version (pronounced ma-TEELD) I don't overly like it in English and think it will be too problematic. Matilda is much easier to say and spell, and has the same charm. I'm very worried that it's going to soar (especially after beautiful Matilda Ledger) and will no longer be unique.

Eleanor - In the top 300 right now, but there seems to be more and more of them. I could see it becoming a phenomenon a la Isabel, especially with how accessible the nickname Ellie is.

Adelia - Not really popular, but not too much of a stretch either. Similarity to Adelaide and other "Addie" names is what concerns me

Alice - Now that I think about, this doesn't feel trendy to me at all. Am I wrong?

Amelia - More popular than my other choices. But so classic that I don't know how trendy it could end up feeling

Estella - I think any name with "ella" in it is likely to end up sounding dated because they are so popular right now. I love Stella, but it's a bit more cutesy than my other choices. Estella feels more substantial and sophisticated to me, but I don't know if that balances out the super trendy "ella" ending.

Annabelle - For years, this was my absolute favorite name. I'm afraid the rise of all the Belle/Bella/Elle/Ella names sort of ruined it for me. I still love it, but it does feel very trendy to me

Valentine - While Valentina might be easier, it's a mouthful in French and I don't like the flow of it. Valen-TEEN sounds lovely in both languages, I think. The trendiness worry comes from a few celebrities using similar names lately. I think I'm mostly worried about people seeing the name and thinking its VAL-en-tine and a boy. Does it look/feel feminine at all? Does it feel very boy on paper?

August - For a boy. Like I said earlier, I would love to go with Augustin, but I'm afraid it would never ever be used in full. I like nicknames, but I like them to be occasional, not the used name 100% of the time. I can't picture small children yelling at an Augustin to catch a ball, or teenagers asking if Augustin can come to the phone. I wouldn't want him to be Augie or Gus 100% of the time. For those reasons, August feels more accessible to me, but also way more likely to become popular. I love Auguste, but it would be too confusing.

I'm going to keep pondering these. I would really love some input. Thank you!

Matilda: I'm thinking this is a Talullah-esque name that gets lots of celebrity attention but isn't like to go mainstream. Mathilde is so lovely; it amazes me how names I'd never consider in English sound so beautiful in French. (Agns, for example.)

Eleanor: Soaring in popularity, because it satisfies the Ellie crowd and the Nora crowd. I see this one becoming ubiquitous, like Evelyn. (At least in this area, Evelyn is all over the place!)

Adelia: not trendy, I can't imagine it becoming trendy, but it's just not a name that excites me. I much prefer Adele.

Alice: not trendy at all; timeless and classic, Alice just can't be pinned down to a particular decade. A great choice.

Amelia: Again, in this area I'm starting to hear it everywhere.

Estella: The -ella names are super trendy (do you think they've peaked?), and while this one in particular hasn't caught on, I can imagine this girl spending her whole life saying, "No, ES-tella, with an E in front."

Annabelle: In my area, it's everywhere.

August: Love it. Classic and handsome. I don't think it qualifies as trendy; he's still flying under the radar as far as I can tell.

Valentine (for a girl. It's very feminine in France and pronounced Valen-TEEN. I strongly dislike gender ambiguous names, and I'm afraid this falls in that category. Yes?) If you want people to pronounce it correctly, you'll probably have to go with Valentina. If you go with Valentine, it's probably best to put it in the middle.

lola Guest

Matilda - I thoroughly like Matilda but do think she will date down the line, at least in the States. She does feel Tallulah like (and I adore Tallulah!) but I think Matilda has a more mainstream feel and will get a bit more popualr before trends change yet again. If you're not a Yank, go for it. I don't think Matilda will date as badly in Britain or Australia.

Eleanor - Utterly timeless. I know Eleanors of all ages, from 95 to 3. I think of all on your list, this one's the best for what you're looking for.

Adelia - Feels too frilly for my taste, but alright if you like it. Delia or Dahlia are more my speed. Adele also is more timeless a choice than Adelia. Even Cordelia, nn Delia is Shakesperian and won't date as much, I think.

Alice - This is what my Mom wanted to name me! I do think she's timeless in appeal but may date in sound. Remember being 8 and watching "The Brady Bunch"? Remember how awful Alice sounded on the Houskeeper then? Yeah, it will happen again, but not as badly as say, Matilda.

Amelia - my least favorite normal name of all time. I loathe that "meel" sound in the middle. But Amelia is pretty enough and she's got a decent range of nicknames: Millie, Mia, Amy.

Estella - I actually think Estelle will date less badly. I do feel the frilly -a enders are starting to fall out of favor and you'd be better off with the more classic Estelle. You could still nickname Estelle, Stella. You don't need the 'a' to do that. :)

Annabelle - Too frilly a spelling, will definitely feel weird when she's 40. Annabel s the most classic of the spellings and will date less badly. I really like Annabel!

August - On a boy, classic, on a girl, dated already. August is on my own boy list to honor my Mom.

Valentine - In the States, I think this spelling's as girly as you can get without going to Valentina. Without the 'e' it strikes me as Masculine: Valentin, pronounced the same way the French do Valentine. Valentine's on my own girl list, to honor my Pop (born on Valentine's day). I'd use Valentine on a girl, Valentin on a boy. But then, Valentine is still val-en tyne to me. Valentin is val-en-teen.

You have a few really lovely choices here and can't go too wrong with any of them. Estelle Valentine would be my own choice of combos from your list although Eleanor Valentine or even Alice Valentine would be stellar, as well. Good luck with the bedrest and let us know what you choose please? :)

As far as bed rest goes, I've been there. Thinking of names is a great way to pass the time, especially if you're going to have twins.

Matilda-I love this name, but I think it might get trendy.

Eleanor-timeless.

Adelia-I don't like it that much.

Alice-love Alice but will sound dated in who knows thirty years, more or less.

Amelia-beautiful, I think it will get extremely popular.

Estella-I love this and Estelle, too. Stella is a great name for both. Liable to get popular, but oh, so cute. I would consider using this.

Annabelle-love Annabel. Annabelle is awfully frilly.

Valentine-Go with Valentina nn Lena. Very cute.

August-I think this will get really popular.

My faves are Eleanor and Estelle nn Stella. Also Annabel. What about Georgia and Iris?
    With middles:
    Eleanor Jane (my fave nn of all time with Eleanor, oh, but I also love Eleanor Alice), Estelle Paloma (dreamy), Estelle Maude, Annabel Iris, Annabel Fay (cute!)
    For a boy, with Eleanor, Annabel, and/or Estelle, I would pick

Clive
    Graham
    Adrian
    Rex
    Charles nn Charlie
    Thomas
    James
    Arthur
    Jude
    John nn Jack-very trendy, but I really like it. Make sure there aren't a bunch of them where you live.
    Louis
    Philip-I love it!
    Peter-ditto!
    Sebastian-ditto!

Hi Sophia! I hope you're having a good day. So, it's most likely twins? Congratulations! You'll be able to pick two gorgeous names, which, as you said, will keep you occupied.
    :-) You wrote a lot of great stuff below, so I'll just add my thoughts after yours.

Some more thoughts about the latest names :

Matilda : What I really love is Mathilde, the French version (pronounced ma-TEELD) I don't overly like it in English and think it will be too problematic. Matilda is much easier to say and spell, and has the same charm. I'm very worried that it's going to soar (especially after beautiful Matilda Ledger) and will no longer be unique.

I love the French Mathilde, too. I think you said you're in Canada (I believe you wrote it somewhere), and if that's so, I'd go for it! (I'd actually tell you to go for it no matter where you lived!) I honestly can't see Matilda becoming too mainstream. Yes, the name is familiar due to Heath, but familiarity doesn't equate to popularity. I mean, if you hear Zahara, you may think of Zahara Jolie-Pitt, but that doesn't mean the name is in the top 100. Matilda and Mathilde are classics, and their nicknames are darling.

If you're too worried about popularity, though, you could always use it as a middle name.

Eleanor - In the top 300 right now, but there seems to be more and more of them. I could see it becoming a phenomenon a la Isabel, especially with how accessible the nickname Ellie is.

For me, Eleanor is perfectly timeless, and will never feel dated. It's a classic to the core, and if you don't like Ellie, you could always use Nora or Lena, or maybe even Nell. If you're too worried about it, however, why not use it as a middle name?

Adelia - Not really popular, but not too much of a stretch either. Similarity to Adelaide and other "Addie" names is what concerns me

The whole "Addie" thing bothers me, too, as it would be a shame for people to think her given name is Addison (or something of the sort). That said, why not call her Deila for short?

Alice - Now that I think about, this doesn't feel trendy to me at all. Am I wrong?

Alice is amazing, and doesn't feel trendy at all to me, either. (Actually, none of these names do.) Alice and Eleanor would be gorgeous names for the twins!

Amelia - More popular than my other choices. But so classic that I don't know how trendy it could end up feeling

I'm with you on this one. It's like Eleanor or Elizabeth to me, in that its classic roots trump popularity.

Estella - I think any name with "ella" in it is likely to end up sounding dated because they are so popular right now. I love Stella, but it's a bit more cutesy than my other choices. Estella feels more substantial and sophisticated to me, but I don't know if that balances out the super trendy "ella" ending.

Personally, I think I'd avoid this one, as someone else (I forget who!) noted that it's too close to Stella, and people may get confused. I'd hate for her to have to tell people, "No! Not STELLA, Estella!"

Annabelle - For years, this was my absolute favorite name. I'm afraid the rise of all the Belle/Bella/Elle/Ella names sort of ruined it for me. I still love it, but it does feel very trendy to me

This was my favorite, too (I may switch back to Anne now!), but I still love it dearly. It's popularity is killing me, though I do hope to use it someday. Is Arabella too exotic for you?

Valentine - While Valentina might be easier, it's a mouthful in French and I don't like the flow of it. Valen-TEEN sounds lovely in both languages, I think. The trendiness worry comes from a few celebrities using similar names lately. I think I'm mostly worried about people seeing the name and thinking its VAL-en-tine and a boy. Does it look/feel feminine at all? Does it feel very boy on paper?

I'm with Lola, in that Valentine is extremely feminine to me. When I see "Valentine," even if I don't know its pronunciation, I assume it's a girl's name. If a boy were named Valentine, I'd feel very sad for him, because for me, the name is the epitome of femininity. If this worries you, though, I'd use it as a middle name.

August - For a boy. Like I said earlier, I would love to go with Augustin, but I'm afraid it would never ever be used in full. I like nicknames, but I like them to be occasional, not the used name 100% of the time. I can't picture small children yelling at an Augustin to catch a ball, or teenagers asking if Augustin can come to the phone. I wouldn't want him to be Augie or Gus 100% of the time. For those reasons, August feels more accessible to me, but also way more likely to become popular. I love Auguste, but it would be too confusing.

I agree with the Augustin issue, and am all for August! I actually grew up idolizing an August. He was handsome, popular, athletic, kind, etc., and I'll forever associate the name with him. He was known as "Augie," and he was the only "Augie" I've ever known.

Here are some random combos, although I'm sure you've already done this!

Eleanor Alice
    Amelia Mathilde (These first two are my favorites)
    Alice Mathilde
    Eleanor Valentine
    Alice Eleanor
    Alice Eleanora
    Mathilde Amelia
    Adelia Valentine (How are you pronouncing Adelia?)
    Estella Valentine
    Amelia Valentine

Are you pondering any other names?

Thank you for all your comments!! It's so nice to get your input.

I'm ready to drop a few names from my list. I don't like Amelia or Adelia that much. I toyed with the idea for a while, but I'm done with them. I love Alice, but I don't think I love it enough to use it. Estella has too many cons for me. I think Melissa is right, she'll most likely spend her life saying "No, ES-tella" and I don't want that. Estelle is gorgeous, but I knew a quirky old woman named Estelle who wasn't very nice, and I can't shake that image off my mind. As for Annabelle, the spelling is a problem. I do agree that it's very frilly and a bit childish. However, our children will grow up in a bilingual French-English community (we live in Canada) and Annabel looks misspelled in French. It looks like one of those "creative" spellings, and will undoubtedly cause problems. It's a shame, because I do like Annabel best.

That leaves me to ponder Matilda, Eleanor and Valentine for girls, and August for a boy. I'm still very worried about their possible trendiness/popularity. My husband's favorite from this list is Matilda, mine is Eleanor. We are still considering all the other names I mentioned in the other thread.

In other news, we just had confirmation today that I am indeed pregnant with fraternal triplets. Women in my families are known to have twins, but I'll be the first to have three. Were a little in shock, but I know once we get used to the idea well be really really excited. I'm not ready to start thinking about combinations or middle names for now, I want to start by narrowing down the first names. We want to make sure we love all three names equally and know that we didnt just pick one because it sounded good with the others.

If you have any more thoughts or suggestions, I'd love to read them! Thank you again :)