Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vonnoh

Vonnoh

What do you think of this as a first name? I realize that it's not traditionally a name, but it's a really important family surname that I had somehow never considered until a few days ago. It's got such a simple sound that I think it could work. It's like a combination of Vaughn (which i love) and other O-enders like Milo and Arlo (which i also love). It seems to have the best of both worlds, "fitting in and standing out"... I like that no one else would share his name, and the fact that he'd be named for someone inspiring.

the combo I keep thinking about is Vonnoh Walter Drake.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

lola Guest

Re: Vonnoh

I'd rather Vonnoh in the middle. It's a bit too odd for me. Might work for the other half but not me! Walter Vonnogh Drake sounds pretty cool to me, if that would float your boat?

Quote Originally Posted by lola
    I'd rather Vonnoh in the middle. It's a bit too odd for me. Might work for the other half but not me! Walter Vonnogh Drake sounds pretty cool to me, if that would float your boat?
    unfortunately, practically all -er enders are out with our last name, especially those with two syllables. I'm surprised it's too odd for you! it definitely is odd, but I'm not sure it's too odd... i feel like it would seem more normal with a different spelling. Also, I figure if he doesn't like it, he can just go by Vaughn.

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

I hear two things: Bono and Vonage (which leads to the woo-ooh song).

Hi there... Vonnoh...Hmm...Well, my first thought was that it was meant to read "Vannah," and I was pretty confused. It's definitely different, but for me, it's a middle name, not a first. That said, you need to pick whatever name works for you. I like Vaughan much better, and am wondering about the combination of Vaughan Oliver, which gives you the "Vaughan-O" sound.

You could actually use any "O" name (Vaughan Owen, Vaughan Oscar, etc.), and it would work quite well.

that's a really interesting idea, Jill. I think it only works with the names that actually start with the O sound, like Owen, not Oscar. I do like it in theory, but I think it sort of defeats the purpose. Plus, the only O names that have any meaning to me are Otmar and Orlando. And I don't particularly love either of those. Also, I have soooooo many contenders for middle names, but have practically nothing for firsts. I have always liked Vaughn, which is why this appeals to me. I just found out Von means "hope" in Norse, which I really like. I don't know, I just want something distinctive, but not absurd, with a lot of meaning. I'm having the hardest time finding the *perfect* name, and I've only got 2 weeks left!

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

-James Franco

Is Dashiell August Nick gone? (I think that was your name!) If he's gone, I miss him! :-)

Do you have a list of other family names? Maybe you could list everything and we could all have a field day mixing and matching...

Oh! With the "o" thing, I was going for the middle initial "O," not necessarily the long "O" sound. I thought it would look cool to write Vaughn O. (insert last name).

Quote Originally Posted by jill
    Is Dashiell August Nick gone? (I think that was your name!) If he's gone, I miss him! :-)

Do you have a list of other family names? Maybe you could list everything and we could all have a field day mixing and matching...

Oh! With the "o" thing, I was going for the middle initial "O," not necessarily the long "O" sound. I thought it would look cool to write Vaughn O. (insert last name).
    I miss Dashiell August Nick, too. He is brilliantly stylish.

Dashiell August Nick is most definitely NOT gone! Still totally love him, just fully exploring our options before we commit!

You're right about Vaughn O. looking cool, I tried writing it out and it really does look great. I kinda really like the way Vaughn Orlando sounds, actually... I never thought about it before, but O is a pretty neat middle initial in general.

I am SO going to make a list of all my names and ask for your help, that's a fantastic idea!

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

-James Franco

Ooh! Vaughn Orlando does sound great. What about Vaughn Orlando Nick or Vaughn Orlando August? August Orlando Nick, August Vaughn Orlando, and August Orlando Vaughn are great, as is Dashiell August Vonnoh. (It's not my baby, of course, but I have nothing against Vonnoh as a middle name.) August Vonnoh Nick is cool, too, and like most of the others, it incorporates three names with sentimental value for you. Oh! What about Orlando August Nick? So many possiblities! :-)