Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Our Faves

Our Faves

Okay... time to share our favorites & why! Whoops, sorry, I think my computer had a problem there...

BOYS
    Miles- Mmm, love this one. I like most boy names that end in a z- sounding 's' like James.
    Levi- The jaunty -vi and comfortable Le- make for a great name.

GIRLS
    Rochelle- A lovely, fresh, French alternative to Rachel. Plus there are the nicknames Elle and Ellie.
    Jane- The simplicity and familiarity of it is beautiful. It had its moments of over-popularity but is now in something of oblivion. Bring it back!

lola Guest

Re: Our Faves

I'll list 2:

Rufus: Charming, suave and comfy all at the same time.
    Winifred: Love her starchy, proper feel and the contrast to how open and free Winnie feels.

This a fun topic!
    Today I love Lionel Andrew and Annika Fern.
    Lionel because I love lions. Plus I just discovered that he was a knight of the round table!
    Andrew because that's my husband's middle name.
    Annika because we have lots of relatives on either side named Ann or Anna plus I love the little neighbor girl in Pippi Longstocking.
    Fern because I love fern plants and it sounds so much like my maiden name.

There are names I love and names I'd use; I have a soft spot for exotic names like Paloma and Cosima but I'm pretty sure my daughter will inherit my red hair and freckles, so that's all wrong. For the past couple of years, I've been stuck on the combo Louise Aimee Ernestine, which makes the fiance roll his eyes. I love Louise because it's classic, sounds exactly the same in French and English, and has the sassy nickname Weezy. (Oh yes, I would.) Aimee sounds charming in French and means "beloved," which she would be... I never thought I'd want to have kids. And Ernestine is my beloved grandmother, my favorite person on Earth, and even though she doesn't like her name either, just hearing her name makes me feel warm and loved.

For boys, I can never settle on a favorite. Jules to honor my BIL (his mn is Julius), Enzo because I lurrrrv it, and Atticus because of Mockingbird... even though I'll never get to use Atticus. I still love it.

My favorites for boys are:
    Tucker Alan Michael (the mn are for our fathers)
    Archer Clebert Roy (mns for our grandpas. My husband is an archer, too, so it is kind of like naming after him).
    I love the country feel of these names and think that they are fairly unique. The middle names are important to us, too. But we can't agree on any girls! Right now I am liking Hazel, June, Emery, Gemma, Alice, Maisie and Holly. His favorites (that I like) are Milly and Christian.

I mean to say!

Don't you think that Levi is underused? I can see why the 1st poster likes it. Maybe with the popularity of all those 'V' names it will be rediscovered. And, Melisa2, I love Louise Aimee Ernestine - so beautiful.

Today I love Anna more than Annika. This happens. I think I love one name the best and then the next day I don't love it as much. So today I love Anna Cordelia. Cordelia was my grandmother's middle name and she deserves to be honored (even though she was always grumpy and smelled) because she raised eight kids during the depression even after she got divorced. Then she took in borders. Today I still love Lionel Andrew. Andrew never changes.

Anna Cordelia is fabulous. I like Annika and Anya for their spin on on the classic Anna, but there is just something about names like Anna, Jane, and Kate (Katherine) that continue to be appealing. Combining it with Cordelia definitely gives it a more unique feel. Right now I also love:

Anna Clementine
    Anna Sophia
    Anna Luciana
    Anna Frances
    Anna Cecilia
    :: o l i v e ::

Smitty, you're the best! You're the only other person who's heard my Louise combo and not gagged. ;)

Susan, while I can be objective enough to see that Anna is a pretty name, in my area it's sooooooo overused on baby girls. I can think of half-a-dozen Annas without even trying. Anna Grace (times two). Anna Olivia. Anna Lynn. Anna Ruth. So for me, Annika would be preferable based on originality alone. I have a student called Annick-- I really like that one too.

This is really sad but I live in L.A. where names like Charlotte, Lucy, and Anna are a breath of fresh air. I think it's because people don't love tradition as much out here. Plus I'm 49. It is extremely unlikely that I will ever have any more babies, so I can have my Anna fantasy forever if I want to. Henry is also very rare where I live unless your kid goes to a very nice private school. I am blown away by the names that are popular back East. They are often really classic. I just looked at the top 100 names for CA on ssa gov. Anna is #92! Charlotte, Lucy, and Henry aren't even on the list. It's like I live in a different country than you live in. That's why it's really fun to go on vacation. But I love L.A. because it's so beautiful, warm, and has mountains and palm trees and gorgeous flowers even in the dead of winter.
    Smitty, I love all the middle names you put with Anna, especially Clementine. Anna Catherine is wonderful, too. My daughter loves the name Anna, so maybe she will use it someday. She also loves Catherine.