Menu

33 WEEKS NO NAME...FREAKING OUT!

I am having a baby girl in a few weeks, and we still dont have a solid name picked out! We are a bit artsy, so we really like Coltrane (we are into jazz). But since its such a masculine name we would like to have a very feminine middle name to balance it out. But we have no clue what would go with it. I am Spanish, so ideally i would like a feminine Spanish name...but I cant think of any! Any suggestions?

Re: 33 WEEKS NO NAME...FREAKING OUT!

You mean like Coal Train?

This is just my opinion, but I'd definitely stay away from Coltrane for a girl, as you can certainly find a more feminine (yet creative and artistic) name for your baby. I could accept Coltrane for a boy (nn Cole), but on a girl, well, I can't see it by any stretch of the imagination. Jarreau (as in Al) would be more feminine and sounds more appealing to the ear. Would you consider using Coltrane as a middle name? You could name her Lena Coltrane (for Lena Horne), for example, or perhaps simply save Coltrane for a boy. Either way, here are some potential names for you (either Spanish, artistic, or musical):

Here are some ideas:

Aitana
    Anabella
    Beatriz
    Clementina
    Coco
    Eloisa
    Fabiana
    Georgina
    Graziella
    Jacinda
    Jordana
    Liviana
    Liliana
    Lucinda
    Mariposa
    Melania
    Noemi
    Paloma
    Rafaela
    Rosalind
    Rosalinda
    Rosario
    Rubi/Ruby
    Sefafina
    Soledad
    Eliana
    Elena
    Ileana
    Alena
    Bianca
    Catalina
    Graciela
    Noela
    Tia
    Emilia
    Marisol
    Marisa
    Paulina
    Viviana
    Gabriella
    Alejandra
    Esmerelda
    Lola
    Lucia
    Sierra
    Natalia
    Raquel
    Delfina
    Estela
    Veronica

Artist:

Imogen
    Marisol
    Paloma
    Nouvel
    Valentina

Color:

Azure
    Emerald
    Indigo
    Jade
    Lavender
    Marigold
    Poppy
    Ruby
    Scarlet
    Siena
    Violetta/Violet

Jazz-related names (would be great as middle names):

Lena (great for first name, as well as nn for Elena)
    Jazz
    Cadence
    Melody
    Harmony
    Allegra

Don't worry! You'll find a name! :-)

For a girl, I would only use Coltrane as a middle name. If you look up Coltrane on the "check out a name" box to the left, you can scroll down to find Jazz Names such as Lena, Dinah, Bechet, Quincy, Billie, Ella, etc. that will all work for a girl. There are more names on the list plus there is a Musician Names list. I know a couple who named their kids Coleman and Lena. Very cute! If you love a male jazz name like Louis as in Armstrong, you can feminize Louis and make it Louisa and call her Lulu. So cute! My fave musician name for a girl is probably Lena. For a boy there are a lot more choices including Coltrane.

Great ideas, Susan. You know, the Jazz Names list doesn't appear on my screen when looking at the alphabetical listing of the Hot Lists. Lena, Ella, Etta, Dinah, Bechet, etc., combined with any of the Spanish names above would sound beautiful.

I know, the Jazz Names list isn't on the hot lists. You have to look up a jazzy name on "check out a name" in order to find the list. Scroll down and you will find it.

Nina or Simone?