Menu

crazy, weird idea

so i was trying to think of a way to honor my ancestors that came over on the Mayflower, but their names were John (x2), Joan, and Elizabeth. I don't feel like I could use such a common name, from so far back in my ancestry, and still have it honor them. So, I was thinking and thinking, and it occurred to me to use the name Mayflower. I don't know, it's just a thought, but I was wondering how weird everyone thought that would be. I'd never consider it up front, but something along the lines of Eleanora Mayflower Rose. What do you think, too crazy?
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

lola Guest

Re: crazy, weird idea

Well, John & Joan are the feminine/masculine of each other, why not fluff Joan up a bit: Joanna? Joanna Elizabeth would be really pretty! Mayflower as a name doesn't really ring any bells for me, and I'm partenered to someone whose ancestors came over on the Mayflower (That's where Tilley/Tillie comes from on my list). I'd consider May and maybe a flower type of name? May Fleur? May Flora? May Florence? May Blossom? I don't know what else to suggest, but you at least see which way my brain is going, I defintely wouldn't use Mayflower anywhere in the name. Can you imagine third grade, when they're learning about the Mayflower? She'd be miserable.

Elizabeth Flora May, Elizabeth Floramay? I'm really stretching here! :D

I think that Mayflower would be a great middle name! Maybe not as a first time, May Flora or Flora May would also be really cool... or Elizabeth May, May Elizabeth, or any flower name and May... Iris May, etc.
    Favorite girl names: Estella, Marielle, Carys, Doutzen, Mireille, Edith, Saskia, Eve, Sienna, Cosima, Winnie, Delphine, Meredith, Sylvie, Sloane

Favorite boy names: Otto, Owen, Aaron, Daniel, Henry, Adam, Seth, Abram/Bram, Johan, Johannes, Sven, George, Adlai, Adam

woah, is that John Tilley who was married to Joan and their daughter was Elizabeth Tilley? Because if so, I'm distantly related to your partner! Small world! And that's also why your Ottilie has intrigued me

I think you're totally right about it not working. I've thought about using May, it was sort of my grandma's name, so it'd have double meaning, which would be nice. I'd also be more likely to use Tilley. I like the idea of May Fleur, etc. but I don't know, it's not my top priority to honor, there are other people I'd like to honor instead of using two names on that. May Blossom is really cute though, but maybe too cute, even for me, queen of cute.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

lola Guest

Indeed it is! We have the paperwork tracing it in the safe. It's a point of pride for him, so that's why Ottilie stays on the list. She'd mean a lot to him.

I love Mae, May, Fleur, Flower, and Mayflower. All of them would be pretty middle names. For first names I love Mae and May. Mayflower has a lot of syllables and a long vowel. Plus it starts with an "m". Sounds like something to sink your teeth into.

I think that Mayflower would be a beautiful middle name, but if you're giving her 2 middle names I would use it as the second rather than the first. But that's just me.
    There are lots of variations of Elizabeth you could use too.
    And also, what is the Mayflower?

lola Guest

Amy, the Mayflower was the ship the Pilgrims came to America on. Some of us can trace our families right back to them! There was also the Speedwell, but that leaked and I don't think it ever made it here (I'd have to go look it up but feel lazy right now).