Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lola Guest

Yeah! New forum!

Glad you guys kept the picture, I love that picture!

Asking for reviews on these few:

Edgar
    Remy
    Winifred
    Jemima

Reviews, assocations, general thoughts, anything welcome! Thanks!

Re: Yeah! New forum!

Edgar -When I was very young I knew a little boy named Edgar who lived in Mexico. He was adorable. His name was pronounced Aythh-gahhhdhth(hiss).
    Remy -So French, and I love that! There's something very cuddly about Remy.
    Winifred -The "fr" sound is fun to say. Would be a fun name to yell or say or whatever.
    Jemima -I love the way it has two "m's".
    Do you like for names to start with a vowel or a consonant better? I love for first names to start with consonants usually but I do have many exceptions.

lola Guest

Mostly consonants, Susan. L, S & J are pretty good examples. On my lists now, M, W, Z, P, C, B, L & J. And one O, for Ottilie. And that's just the girls. On the guys side: 2 R's, B, 2 C's and one A, for Alasdair, who's a real long shot. I have a few vowel starter favorites but nothing like the huge list of consonants. makes me an odd duck these days but I rather prefer to be the odd duck! :D

I like it when someone's name starts with a consonant because you get some extra time to think about what you're going to say while you begin to say their name. Also it's nice when their name has lots of syllables 'cause that gives you time, too. I notice that my relatives from Oklahoma and Texas say long names very quickly and short names very slowly, adding extra syllables. Instead of Bea, they would say "Beh-EEE-eee". My mom called my dad, "Keeeyuneth" instead of Kenneth. My grandmother's name was Lillian, but they pronounced it "Lillyan".

haha, susan, "it gives you time to think about what you're going to say".

yeah, new forum is right! I was just thinking that a forum like this should exist! and now it does, like magic!

ok, names:
    Edgar- the only Edgar I ever knew was the "smartest" kid in my high school (really he wasn't the smartest, just studied the most), and he thought he was so much better than everyone else... so since he's the only one I've known, I can't get the thought of him out of my head. I don't know that I'd like Edgar much anyway, not sure.

Remy- I can't decide how I feel about this one.

Winifred- LOVE. Winnie, Freddy, too cute. Perfect with Josephine, too.

Jemima- again, love love love!
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Edgar- I love this name, it was also the surname of my favorite eighth grade teacher, so he might have a little something to do with why I like it so much! The only down side is the potential Eddie or Ed nn, and I'm not too crazy about either one of those. But nn aside, I think it's a wonderful name.

Remy- I like it, but I would love him even more if it was a nn for Remus.

Winifred- I really like Winifred and all her nn options.

Jemima- I just can't seem to get very excited about Jemima :( It looks really pretty though!

Edgar - I find this to be an interesting name. As a student of Anglo-Saxon history, it very much reminds me of reforms - the reforms of the coinage and monastic orders that occurred during the reigns of Edgar. I also think of Edgar, claimant to the English throne after Edward the Confessor (ignored in favour of Harold II Godwinson and William the Conqueror). From a non-historian point of view, it also reminds me of the sneaky butler in 'The Aristocats' (this association is possibly accentuated as the next name is Remy - another Disney association!).

Remy - I find Remy to be a little insubstantial. It would make a good nickname for Jeremy, or Remigius (which is simply awesome).

Winifred - I can't warm to Winifred. The 'fred' part is exceedingly masculine, as is the 'Win' part (Edwin, Aelfwine, Godwin, Leofwine etc., though I do have quite a skewed view of 'win' names :D)

Jemima - lovely, especially the meaning. As I am British, I can happily ignore any syrup references, and focus on Puddleducks instead.

lola Guest

Thanks Unoriginal! As a Brit, how would you view a Yankee Jemima? Would you still be charmed? because I get quite a bit of flack from my elders on this one, but I think her days of hiding in shame because she used to be a derogatory idea/name are long past. I mean, long, long, long past. I had to look it up to see what the heck they were talking about and I'm 41!
    Just curious. :)

Quote Originally Posted by lola
    Thanks Unoriginal! As a Brit, how would you view a Yankee Jemima? Would you still be charmed? because I get quite a bit of flack from my elders on this one, but I think her days of hiding in shame because she used to be a derogatory idea/name are long past. I mean, long, long, long past. I had to look it up to see what the heck they were talking about and I'm 41!
    Just curious. :)
    If I hadn't heard the syrup association trotted out every time someone mentions the name Jemima on a name board, then I wouldn't think anything different of an American Jemima as I would a British Jemima - I doubt any of my friends have the syrup connection. Personally though, if I met an American Jemima I would think that she had brave parents but still like the name. (Does that make sense?)

I think "long past" might depend on your region, Lola. Here in the Deep South I'd be very, very hesitant to use Jemima.