Menu

Thread: carys or eve??

carys or eve??

We have decided on a boy name, but find it hard to find a girl name. I love the name Carys, but I am worried people might find it hard to pronounce. My husband and I generally prefer short names.
    Other names we like are Linnea, Nika and Helena.

what do you think?

Re: carys or eve??

Helena is nice.

I think Carys is lovely, and uncommon enough to get attention. The only Carys I've heard of is Catherine Zeta-Jones's daughter. I actually think Helena poses more of a pronunciation problem! (I used to live in a little town called Hel-eee-na, as opposed to the Helen-a in Montana. I've also heard the name pronounced He-lay-na.)

Eve is all right, but in much greater danger of trendiness than Carys.

I think Carys is lovely. I doubt it would pose pronunciation problems for most people. Eve is cute too, but Carys has more of presence (it feels a little stronger).
    :: o l i v e ::

I really like both Carys and Eve and I think Carys Eve and Eve Carys both sound fantastic, I think it just depends on your last name. Also, to consider nicknames, people might use Carrie (not my personal favorite) for Carys... I think that the nickname for Eve (Evie) is much cuter. Also you could consider using Evangeline as the full name and using Eve as a nickname, or Eva, and might give her more options when she grows up.
    Favorite girl names: Estella, Marielle, Carys, Doutzen, Mireille, Edith, Saskia, Eve, Sienna, Cosima, Winnie, Delphine, Meredith, Sylvie, Sloane

Favorite boy names: Otto, Owen, Aaron, Daniel, Henry, Adam, Seth, Abram/Bram, Johan, Johannes, Sven, George, Adlai, Adam

Thanx for your help. We will use Elisabeth as a middle name to honor my grandmother. We are also thinking of using Adelheid ( my favorite aunt and wonderful person) as a third name. But I do love the name Eve as well. Short and sweet.

Even though I think Carys Eve sounds great, I think middle names should have a meaning .. like honoring somebody you love with giving your child his or her name.

I personally love Eve. I tend to generally like longer names, but Eve is one of those that I consider so classically elegant in its simplicity. I think Eve Elisabeth Adelheid is gorgeous. The longer middles really balance out the shorter first. I love it

Eve and Carys are beautiful names, and while you may have to explain pronunciation once in a while, it's easy to remember, and I honestly don't think you'll have too many problems with it.

I'm going to pick Eve over Carys, however, just because I think it possesses a simple elegance and sophistication not found in Carys.

I love Eve Elisabeth Adelheid, and completely agree with you about middle names having meaning.

You asked about some other names, Linnea, Nika and Helena.

While I'm not a fan of Linnea (I worked with a Linnea who ruined the otherwise beautiful name for me) or Nika, I do love Helena. It's one of my favorite names, but everytime I think of using it, I worry about pronunciation issues. I prefer Hel-len-uh, but know a Hel-lee-nuh and a Hel-lay-nuh. I also ponder the whole nickname issue, which is a concern for me.

You've chosen some truly beautiful names!