Menu

lola Guest

What do you think of ....

Using ethnic names not in your own culture in the middle? I'm stuck on the name Rupinder. I think it's lush, lovely and absolutely perfect. If I was married to an Indian guy, that would easily be the name of my daughter . I have her in a combo I utterly adore and would happily use, no matter what. I'll post it here and someone tell me if it's ridiculous or not.

Clio Portia Rupinder/Cleo Portia Rupinder (Which Clio/Cleo do you prefer, too?)

Thanks!

Re: What do you think of ....

Hi Lola,

I really like the name Cleo (and it goes so nicely with Josephine), but can't help but notice that it contains your son's name, Leo. Cleo and Leo would be too similar for me, but that doesn't take away from Cleo's beauty.

As for using names from different cultures, I think it's really an individual thing. Personally, I wouldn't use an Indian name, but if it doesn't bother you, that's really all that matters.

Some culture's names (Spanish, French, Italian, etc.) have become commonplace (Sofia, Sophia, Bella, Gabrielle, Genevieve, etc.), and seem "open" for everyone's use, while for me, some culture's name don't seem right to use if you're not of that culture. There's no right or wrong to this--just personal preference.

I really like Cleo with Portia, though!

lola Guest

Thanks, Jill! I know Cleo & Leo are pretty similar but it's getting to the point where Leo is home twice a year, maybe four times in a good year but otherwise is on the phone or PC. It's a bit odd, yes, but not undoable for us. That's why I was thinking Clio instead, as the sound is there but not the exact letters + one, you know? And except for Cleopatra, there's little to no way to get Cleo/Clio as a nickname, so I figured, why not as a standalone? I'm a sucker, apparently for cat & dog names! :D

Hey, if it's doable for you, then it's great. Because of Leo, I'd definitely use Clio, although I do prefer the way Cleo looks. The name goes so well with Josephine. Hey, why not honor her two older brothers with Clio Simone? Just a wacky thought!

If you really wanted to stretch it, you could possibly get Cleo out of Clementine.
    But I think Clio or Cleo paired with Simone is a pretty neat idea, Jill!

Hey Lola

I live in a city where there are a lot of East Indians and I love the way a lot of their names sound. My favorite being Suhkwinder. I think that's how she spells it?
    pron; suh-quinn-der and we called her Suki. I love it so much!!! I guess I'm a bit of a hipocritter (*giggle*) because I would never use it because of its origin. Maybe if we lived somewhere else?

As for Cleo Portia... wow! It just seems so over the top. I guess 'cause it reminds me of Cleopatra? If you're a bling bling girl, this is probably a perfect fit (: Personally, I'd leave it as Cleo Rupinder.

I felt a little sad that your ds's name being Leo didn't matter because of the distance b/t you two. You must miss him a great deal and maybe this will make it feel as though he's little closer to you (:

eta ~ I also love the name Kaleah (kah-LEE-uh) kinda like Cleo. Thought I'd throw that out there

If it were me, I wouldn't want my kids' names to rhyme or even sort of rhyme. I love the name Clara for example, but I worry that it's too much like Laura, my daughter. Also I love the names Flora, Nora, and Cora. If you pick a name like that, it eliminates a lot of other names.
    But not everyone is like me, so if it doesn't bother you to have a Leo and a Cleo or Clio, go for it.

if you love it, don't hesitate to use it, especially if it's "the one." I love it, too!