Menu

Sister for Gabriel Quinn

Hi :)
    I'm expecting a girl in May. Big brother is Gabriel Quinn and DH and I cannot agree on a girls name!
    He has turned down everything I like, such as :
    Olivia
    Leah
    Elisabeth
    Caroline

He likes: Cara

Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Re: Sister for Gabriel Quinn

I really like the name Gabriel. Strong and fun to say. Let's see, Olivia, Caroline, Leah and Elisabeth are your choices. Cara is your husband's choice.
    Of all your choices, my favorite is Elisabeth because that is my favorite name. It's my daughter's middle name. Actually her name is Elizabeth. But I do agree with Melissa (post below) that Elisabeth isn't as strong as Gabriel.
    However Elisabeth and Gabriel are both Hebrew names with lots of syllables. Elisabeth has so many nicknames to choose from. I do prefer Elizabeth to Elisabeth because I love the nicknames Eliza, Liza, and Lizzie, but you could get those names from Elisabeth if you like them a lot. Elise is pretty, and I think it sounds very good with Gabriel.
    A great compromise with your husband could be to name your daughter Caroline and call her Cara for short. But I have to say I don't really like Cara with Gabriel. Gabriel is so strong and rich and in comparison, Cara seems kind of, well, 1970's or 1980's. I think of Laura Ashley dresses which I don't like. That's funny because I named my daughter Laura but I didn't name her after Laura Ashley! Caroline seems a bit frilly next to Gabriel, too.
    Girls' Names to go with Gabriel:
    Dinah
    Esther
    Aurora nn Rory (means dawn, nice with Gabriel the archangel.)
    Iris (I always pick this! means rainbow.)
    Elise
    Celeste (I always pick this, too, but I like it with Gabriel because Gabriel is an angel and Celeste means heavenly.)
    Nevaeh (Heaven backwards!)
    Angelica, Angelina
    Stella (means star and is a strong name like Gabriel.)
    Raffaella nn Raffi (another angel name)
    Paloma (means dove, a strong name)
    If you look up Celeste and scroll down to User List Sky Names, you can look up all my sky names.

Congrats on your baby girl, Heather. Gabriel Quinn is a distinctive and handsome name; by contrast, your girl choices are rather staid! Olivia is top 5, Elisabeth and Caroline are pretty, but not exactly stand-outs. How about some of these:

Ivy
    Chloe
    Lila
    Audrey
    Lena
    Elinor/Nora
    Elise
    Adeline
    Clara
    Fiona
    Beatrice
    Eden
    Genevieve (Gabriel and Genevieve, wow!)
    Callie
    Violet
    Annelise
    Astrid (my new crush as far as girl names go)
    Iris

Cora goes quite well with Gabriel, in my opinion. It's a more up-to-date version of Cara, since it has that vintage, old-style feeling. (I may be biased since Cora was my namesake, and if I weren't named Corine, I would name my daughter Cora!)

Here are a few to consider...
    Evangeline (nn Evie/Eve)
    Clara
    Diana
    Anna
    Tenley
    Sienna
    Savannah
    Delaney
    Daisy
    Caitlin (nn Cait)
    Felicity (nn Lissie)
    Elise
    Blair
    Julia (Gabriel and Julia! love it!)
    Favorite girl names: Estella, Marielle, Carys, Doutzen, Mireille, Edith, Saskia, Eve, Sienna, Cosima, Winnie, Delphine, Meredith, Sylvie, Sloane

Favorite boy names: Otto, Owen, Aaron, Daniel, Henry, Adam, Seth, Abram/Bram, Johan, Johannes, Sven, George, Adlai, Adam