Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Big sis Tovah needs a sibling name soon...any ideas?

I need a halfway unique name to sort of match Tovah's but not too weird! Any ideas?

Here are some we like but we can't agree on any of them! Please help.
    My fave girl: Amity, Chloe
    His fave girl: Heidi, Olivia
    Some boy names: Winston, Henry, Linus (ok, I love it, but my hubby can't get over thinking it is too wussy), Oliver

Thanks for any ideas!

Re: Big sis Tovah needs a sibling name soon...any ideas?

My fave girl: Amity, Chloe
    His fave girl: Heidi, Olivia
    Some boy names: Winston, Henry, Linus (ok, I love it, but my hubby can't get over thinking it is too wussy), Oliver

Amity-NMS, but pretty
    Chloe-A beautiful name that unfortunately isn't unique anymore
    Heidi-I just don't see it with Tovah--at all
    Olivia-Like Chloe, not unusual at all, either (it's actually overused now) :-(
    Winston-I think of cigarettes (ick) or Churchill, but at least it is unique
    Henry-One of my favorites, but it isn't unique now, either
    Linus-I have to agree with your husband on this one, although it is unique
    Oliver-another favorite of mine that, unfortunately, isn't unique anymore, either

Are you looking for another Hebrew name? I'm guessing not, so I'll suggest a mixture of names that could go nicely with a beautiful and unique name like Tovah:

Honor
    Verity
    Lydia
    Susannah
    Sadie
    Clementine
    Mirabel
    Allegra
    Felicity
    Hope
    Willa

Atticus
    Gideon
    Gabriel
    Levi
    Nathaniel
    Asher
    Micah

Best wishes to you!

Thanks. I really like: Atticus, Gideon and Clementine especially. And good point on Winston...blah on cigarettes. Hmmm... on the popular Chloe...it sounds so cute with our last name!

Opinion of Frances and calling her Francie?
    Also, Amity? What do you think of with that name?

I am crazy wild about the name Frances nn Francie. If I had a baby I would pick that name but it doesn't sound that great with my last name.
    Also my friend named her son Linus. He doesn't seem wimpy. But as far as the lion names go, I love Lionel and Leopold best. Especially Lionel nn Leo.

I really like the name Frances and the nickname "Francie," but I'm just not sure that it goes with a name as unique and exotic as Tovah. Granted, this is just my opinion, and in the end, the only thing that matters, is that you choose a name you absolutely love.

That said, I really think that Tovah needs to paired with a more exotic name (that is, if matching is important to you, which it may not be).

What about Francesca with Tovah? I think its femininity goes very well with Tovah, and you could still use "Francie" as a nickname.

Amity has a beautiful meaning that's in harmony with Tovah, and it's unique, too. If I had to choose between Frances and Amity, I'd go with Frances(but that's just me!). I think Amity does go well with Tovah, but it's just too "out there" for me. I like the meaning more than the actual name. Also, when I hear "Amity," I think of the town in which the movie "Jaws" is set! Then again, it's also a beautiful song sung by Carly Simon and her daughter (about mothers and daughters). If you like it, go for it!

I really like Gideon with Tovah (the whole Biblical theme), and just thought of: Jonah, Judah, Abram, Simon, and Silus/Silas (rather like Linus).

Here are some more girls names to add to Amity, Frances (Francesca?), and Clementine:
    Leah
    Eva
    Eve
    Eden
    Faith
    Ruthie
    Lila
    Mariel
    Naomi
    Odessa
    Simone
    Sasha
    Natasha
    Avalon
    Laurel
    Clea
    Cleo

I, too, am crazy about Frances. I love it!

Amity is an uncommon choice that capitalizes on the popularity of the "virtue names." I like it too.

I LOVE Gideon with Tovah. I also really like Linus.

I think Tova and Clemmie would be an adorable pair! Although, when I read your post, I immediately thought of the name of an old friend: Tamah. (TAY-mah.) Good match as far as origin, sound and originality. Maybe??

I don't think of cigarettes at all when I hear Winston. And I used to live in the city they were named for. :)

On the other hand, I hear Amity and my brain fills in "-ville Horror." Every time. Pretty name, but I can't shake the association.

Thanks for all the great advice.

I don't have the association of Amity with the horror flicks, but 90% of people I ask do...so maybe its a bad idea. She would always get asked about it.

Clemmie is a great nn! Makes Clementine doable for sure.

Any else have an idea for a name that is similar to Chloe (in sound, b/c our last name is a hard "c") but less common?
    Thanks.

Girls' names similar to Chloe in addition to above posts:
    Calista
    Calandra
    Cora

Other names I like with Tovah:
    Girls
    Zara
    Ada (there's also Adah, but it sounds like Odd-uh.)
    Dara
    Audra (I really like this, but is it too mid-century? Could Audrey be a nn?)
    Selah
    Viola
    Vera
    Vivian

Boys
    Asa
    Asher
    Dashiell-I know, I always suggest this one!
    Elias
    Ezra
    Micah
    Reuben
    Simeon
    Simon