Menu

Thread: Ada or Adelia?

Ada or Adelia?

Our first child is due in a few weeks, and we thought we'd settled on Ada for a girl (we don't know the gender) but now I'm afraid it's more of nickname. My husband's great-grandmother was Adelia so lately I've been leaning towards that, using Ada as a nn. What do you think of Adelia? And how would you pronounce it...A-DEAL-YA or A-DELL-YA?
    :: o l i v e ::

Re: Ada or Adelia?

A-DELL-ya. I love it. It's a really gorgeous name. I like Ada, but it is a bit nicknamey and feels a bit trendy. Adelia would be a great choice for a more substantial name. You could still use Ada as a nickname, but she would have the possibility of using the full name when she grows up. I really like it a lot.

I think Adelia is beautiful, and I actually pronounce it with four syllables (a-dee-lee-uh).

Hmm - I would pronounce it like Jill - a-dee-lee-uh. I like both names quite a bit - hard choice! But I do have to disagree - I don't think Ada sounds nicknamy - just sweet and cute.

The one Adelia I know (she's in her early 20's) pronounces it a-DELL-ya.

Great name!

lola Guest

I'm another one who'd say Ah-deal-ee-ah for Adelia (it's a delia ito me, so ...) I like Ada on it's own too. Sweet, simple and fresh. Ada's lovely!

A-deel-ya here. Delia with an 'a' in front. It's a pretty name, and I'd use that with Ada as a nickname. Or perhaps Adeline?