Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lola Guest

Need some reviews please?

A few combos I'm completely in love with for their own merits, would you tell me what you think of them? These are really atypical of me, I'm a little in awe of them all.

Thanks!

Here they are:

Maud India Scarlett
    Mina Lucy Raphaela
    Ottilie Alice Mehitabel
    ~~
    Rufus Wilder John
    Remy Edward Xavier
    Ronan Alaric Bede

Re: Need some reviews please?

Ohhhhhh I like these!! I love all your boys. Of the first names, I think I like Rufus best, but I think both the Rufus and the Remy combinations are gorgeous.
    For the girls, I like Mina the least. It's a very sweet name, but I prefer something with a bit more substance. I love the middle names you chose for it though. I love Ottilie the most. I think my favourite combination would be Ottilie Alice Raphaela or Ottilie Scarlett Raphaela. They are all beautiful

Maud India Scarlett-- love it. LOVE IT. India has been one of my favorites forever, and Scarlett is so pretty. (You know they're both Gone With the Wind names, right??) And Maud is just itching for a revival.

Mina Lucy Raphaela-- as a combo, I think it's lovely, particularly the lush and attention-getting Raphaela. I wouldn't be terribly excited by Mina on its own; feels nick-namey.

Ottilie Alice Mehitabel-- Mehitabel, wow. The scary thing is, it works; feels exotic and old-fashioned at the same time. Tillie as a nn is precious.

~~

Rufus Wilder John-- outstanding. What a great combo. I like the contrast of the super-exciting Wilder right next to sturdy John. And Rufus... how can you not love Rufus?

Remy Edward Xavier-- Be still my heart. Each one of these individually is a favorite of mine, so throw them all together and I could just swoon. This is your new means of getting to Rex, isn't it? ;) (Incidentally, would you pronounce it Ramey or Remmy?)

Ronan Alaric Bede-- very Saxon. Individually I like them, but together, I don't know, there's not enough variety. It needs to be shaken up a bit.

Maud India Scarlett
    Mina Lucy Raphaela
    Ottilie Alice Mehitabel
    ~~
    Rufus Wilder John
    Remy Edward Xavier
    Ronan Alaric Bede

Hi,

I'm a new poster (who was thankfully able to change my username from "Cora" to my real name, Jill), but I've been reading your posts for awhile. Being a fan of classic names (and having a total aversion to trendy names), I adore (seriously adore!) the names of your children, Simon, Leo, and Josephine.

In my wee little (and humble) opinion, however, the bulk of the names you've been considering for your next baby seem not to fit in with your other children's names; they just seem too far out there, while Simon, Leo, and Josephine are classic without crossing that line into, "Huh? She named him/her what?" territory.

I think the names you've been mulling over (Barnaby, Rufus, etc.) would be great in middle name positions, but stick out too much as first names. For me, classic names that are too far out there are just as bad as names that are too trendy, as they don't mix with classic names that are neither too far in or nor too far out. Granted, this is just my opinion, but I thought I'd share it with you.

Leo, Simon, and Josephine fit with names you've already suggested such as Alice, Maud, Lucy, Edward, John, and even Ronan, while names such as Rufus, Remy, Ottilie, Mina, etc., stand apart from the rest in a striking way. Many of them are great names, but in my opinion, break away from the lovely classic (and not too out there or exotic) theme your three children's names possess.

Rufus Wilder John- I love the Wilder and John parts of the name, but am not a fan of Rufus. Having worked with children, I can all too easily see little Rufus being called "Doofas" instead. Plus, Leo, Simon, Josephine and Rufus just don't blend well for me. Rufus stands alone.

Remy Edward Xavier-I love Edward (my favorite Boy's name), and I think Xavier is a great name, too. I especially like seeing the "X" after a vowel name. Remy is too feminine for me, and doesn't fit with Leo and Simon (my opinion only!).

Ronan Alaric Bede- This combination works for me, and I think Ronan blends well enough with Simon and Leo. Alaric is great in the middle name spot, and Bede flows nicely, too.

Maud India Scarlett- I love the name Maud (put prefer the Maude spelling), and flows so, so nicely with Leo, Simon, and Josephine. I think it's great! India, I'm not a fan of, and it seems out of place next to Maud. I like Scarlett at the end, too, but am distracted by the unexpected "India."

Mina Lucy Raphaela-I think Mina is a beautiful name, but it seems out of place with your other children's names, especially Josephine. Josephine and Mina are too different for me (one is prim, proper, and classic, while the other, Mina, is exotic and glamorous), but both beautiful alone. Lucy is fantastic, as is Raphaela. This name (apart from Lucy) is has an exotic feel, but it stands apart from the classic theme you've already established with your other children's names.

Ottilie Alice Mehitabel- Ottilie doesn't fit with the theme you've established, and while very cute, is too nick-namey for me. I like Ottoline better, but as a middle name option. Alice fits so nicely with your other children's names, but seems out of place here, in the middle of an exotic name sandwich. Mehitabel I don't care for, and I only see the word "hit."

Of the cominations you listed, Ronan Alaric Bede is my pick for the boy name, and Maud India Scarlett is my choice for the girl's name.

Using these names for other combinations:
    Maud Imogen Scarlett
    Maud Amelia Scarlett
    Maud Theodora Scarlett
    Maud Ione Scarlett

Lucy Ottilie Alice
    Lucy Alice Maud
    Lucy Valentina (I think you mentioned this once) Maud
    Lucy Ottilie Valentine
    Lucy Raphaela Maude

Alice Ottoline
    Alice Ottilie Valentine
    Alice Ottilie Winifred

Winifred Alice Maud (I think you like Winifred)
    Winifred Lucy Maud
    Winifred Scarlett Maud

Edward Xavier John
    Edward Alaric Bede
    Edward Ronan Wilder
    Edward Xavier Cosmo (one of your names)

Alaric Edward John (For me, Alaric works with Simon and Leo)
    Alaric Wilder John
    Alaric Xavier John (I'm pronouncing Xavier as zay-vee-yer)
    Alaric Valentine John (I think you mentioned Valentine once)
    Alaric Xavier Bede
    Alaric Xavier Cosmo

Xavier Alaric John
    Xavier Cosmo Bede
    Xavier Alaric Bede (I'm loving the Alaric-Bede flow)
    Xavier Cosmo Valentine

For some reason, I want to put a Theodore or a Theodora with your children's names, as well as a Gideon!

I think you have wonderful taste, and I would hate to see you lose the classic (but not too out there!) theme in which you've invested your children's names. Best wishes, Lola!

I'm still a huge fan of Maud India Scarlett and Rufus Wilder John. There is something so wonderfully masculine (in the best way possible) about Rufus' combo. I love it!

And Maud India Scarlett is so lush and womanly. She's a really deep purply, red to me with golden undertones - if that makes sense. :) I love her!!

lola Guest

Thanks all! My goodness, Jill; you put a lot of work into that answer and I thank you for it. But when we finally do have one, it's more his to name than mine, this time. And these are definitely more "Him" than "me", if that makes any sense. When I named our boys, he wasn't around, with our daughter, he was. But as a girl, he didn't mind me taking preferences. Well, and I played the "I just pushed this kid out and I'm naming her X!" card mostly, He chimed in with the middles. With this one, I'm trying to work more closely with him, and we're not concerened if this one stands out a bit or not. It's our last. Ever. So we want the name to be perfect to our ears and not worrying about "matching" or anything else. Classic they may look but Leo & Simon will be 23 this year, they've got old man name, for sure. Josephine fits with them but is only 4, so I'm more concerned with this one fitting with her than the boys, even if it's a boy. And his style is a bit more outr than mine. So, I'm trying to rein him in, for what it's worth. :)

mcope24, yes, I know India & Scarlett are GWTW names. Thanks to some certain friends, I am constantly exposed to GWTW and it's characters. :) I don't mind the reference and it would make a nice literary "theme" with Josephine. My boys are "Popes" and my girls are "Historical" or "Literary". Thanks, Ottilie Alice Mehitabel completely replaces Ottoline Alice Marigold for me. I LOVE it!
    Mina is nicknamey in the States. But it means 'fish' in Sanskrit and is a full name there. So it doesn't bother me any.
    I know, I can't dislike Rufus and I think he's pretty charming with Leo & Simon in particular. Remy would likely be REH-mee, since I'm a Yank. reh-MEE is the French. And yes, he's my alternate way to get Rex as a nickname. I adore Rex but he won't let me pt Rex up front anywhere. Which is why he's in third place in two combos and as initials nickname in this one. I thoroughly like Rex.

Funny you say not enough variety. I thought the same thing, but say it aloud, he's got great flow and sounds pretty current despite his age. I like that he's medieval through & through. I'm a huge medievalist and could probably go back to 1430 and live comfortably and happily.

babies11, thank you. I like them fine but since they're a bit out of my comfort range (I admire these but cannot believe I'm considering them for a child of mine.. it feels a bit, odd), they're more his style, finally coming out. I think they work well despite that, just a reflection of Papa instead of Mama, for a change. I think matchings for the birds, anyhow, you should see my mismatched fiestaware table! :D

edited for spelling mistakes!

Maud India Scarlett I think of spices and veils and antique jewelry boxes
    Mina Lucy Raphaela I think of a little baby flying around with angels
    Ottilie Alice Mehitabel I think of a little baby riding on a circus elephant in an old time French circus. From 100 years ago.
    ~~
    Rufus Wilder John definitely on a pony with play guns in a belt around his hips
    Remy Edward Xavier you know this one is extra amazing because it sounds French and Catholic at the same time. It sounds rustic Catholic which I love even more than fancy Catholic.
    Ronan Alaric Bede this one sounds like a Catholic priest from a long time ago-I love those Catholic-sounding names. Isn't Rosary an interesting name for a girl? I made several Catholic-sounding lists. Look up Fatima (Holy Family Names), Diego (California Mission Names and also Taos Names), and Faith (Santa Fe Names) to find them.

My favorites for the day are: Maud India Scarlett-not just for the day, I really love it! And I love Remy Edward Xavier. But what happened to George? I miss him. Maybe you could have three middles! jk.

Lola, I've been stalking these name boards for a while now and just have to tell you I adore the name combinations you pick out. These last six were probably some of my favorites so far!
    Maud India Scarlett - This set sounds great, and I can totally see Maud and Josie playing together :)
    Mina Lucy Raphaela - My aunt's name is Mina, so this is a little hard for me to imagine...
    Ottilie Alice Mehitabel - Definitely my favorite of the bunch! Ottilie is also on my top 5 list and I love her. Especially with the vowel name in the middle.
    ~~
    Rufus Wilder John - To be honest Rufus is good, but I think you can do better... However, I'm crazy about Wilder.
    Remy Edward Xavier - This is my second choice out of the three, but I'm not quite sure if Remy fits w/ Josie for me...
    Ronan Alaric Bede - This combo is my top pick out of the three! Ronan seems adventurous in a very good way.
    By the way, what happened to Cosmo?? :)

Hi Lola,

I didn't realize you didn't care about sticking with a theme, which is great news (and sounds like a lot of fun for you and your husband)! In this case, I'm sticking with the Ronan Alaric Bede combination as my favorite boy's name, and while I still LOVE the Maud option (seriously love it!), I'm rooting for Ottalie, too, as it really is adorable and unique. (Would "Tillie" be a nickname?)

You had George as an option earlier? That would be wonderful, too!