Menu

Thread: Mae

Mae

Mae is a family name that is very special, we also love it as a match for older brother Henry. However, I'm really struggling to find a middle name that suits. Is it just me or do most combos sound inside-out?! I also can't help but wonder if it's because I desire a longer middle name? We'd love everyone's help!

Re: Mae

I can't believe no one has responded to this yet! Maybe because it's a really hard one! I LOVE the name Mae, so I've thought about this before, and you're absolutely right, everything sounds backwards! I feel like names with either the M or N sound in them work a lot better than others.

Shorter Middles: (I think the issue here is that they sound like one name)
    Mae Ann (my grandma went by this her entire youth, worked for her!)
    Mae Belle

Longer Middles:
    Mae Araminta*
    Mae Analeigh
    Mae Imogen
    Mae Evangeline*
    Mae Francesca
    Mae Genevieve
    Mae Fiona
    Mae Viole* (with an accent on the e, so pronounce Vee-o-lay)
    Mae Susannah
    Mae Jessamy
    Mae Jemima
    Mae Juliet*
    Mae Cordelia
    Mae Aurelia
    Mae Arabella
    Mae Appoline
    Mae Pomeline
    Mae Clementine
    Mae Penelope
    Mae Octavia*
    Mae Eleanora*
    Mae Georgiana
    Mae Mirabelle
    Mae Valentine\a
    Mae Suzette
    Mae Adora
    Mae Blossom

*means my favorites

Have you considered using two middle names? Something like Mae Belle Cecile has an easier flow than Mae Cecile.

Good luck!
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

lola Guest

Mae is like my Maud, one syllable and as such, more likely to feel middle-ish thanks to patterns over the last 50 years. It takes a bit of time to get used to hearing it as a first name. Rose is another one that ends up toguh to pair because of her syllable count.
    Some random thoughts:
    Mae Philomena
    Mae Rosaline
    Mae Marcheline
    Mae Coralie
    Mae Josephine
    Mae Pomeline
    Mae Violette
    Mae Wilhelmina
    Mae Francesca
    Mae Eleanora
    Mae Georgiana
    Mae Lucinda
    Mae Dorothea

Any three or more syllable works beautifully, as long as your surname isn't one syllable too, it'll flow perfectly.

Ooh, I forgot Mae Amandine! I love it!
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Oooh! I LOVE the name Mae, and as Rose is my favorite name, I understand the whole one-syllable-names-sound-like-they-belong-in-the-middle thing. :-) (I adore Henry, too!)

Lyndsay and Lola had some great ideas, and I thought I'd add some more:

Mae Amelia
    Mae Elisabeth
    Mae Georgiana
    Mae Louisa
    Mae Catherine
    Mae Olivia
    Mae Dahlia
    Mae Lilia
    Mae Emilia
    Mae Victoria

As Lyndsay suggested, if you're still uncomfortable with the flow, how about adding a second middle name, such as Mae Amelia Rose?

I like Mae Amelia, too!

This is great, thank you, keep the names coming! I love the following especially since these particular mn's have meaning to us: Mae Louisa, Mae Katharine, Mae Eleanora and Mae Evangeline

We're also considering using Louisa Katharine (baby would be named for both of our mom's)! I'm trying to sway my hubby with nn's such as Lulu, Lola and then Elle/Ella (afraid these two are too common)? Do you think Elle/Ella is too much of a stretch?

Which names are your fav, last name is shorter sounds like "Wilts"? Slightly concerned about all the "s" sounds with Louisa Wilts?!
    Louisa Katharine
    Mae Louisa
    Mae Katharine

What do you think about - Louisa Mae Katharine? Too much like Alcott?

Hi there! I'm so glad you like Mae Louisa and Mae Katharine, as they're two of my favorites. Louisa Katharine is gorgeous, too, and I was wondering if you'd consider Louisa as a first name.

I agree with the previous poster that Louisa Mae Katharine is lovely, as is Louisa Katharine. It would be so beautiful to honor both of your moms. What about Mae Louisa Katharine? (Just trying to cover all the options!) :-)

I personally don't get Ella out of Louisa, but it doesn't matter! It's your little girl, and you can nickname her as you please! Ella would be darling, as are most of the typical nicknames for Louisa.

Knowing that your last name has one syllable, I would definitely go with Louisa. I actually love Louisa with a last name that sounds like "wilts," as I'm a fan of alliteration. I know a Louisa with a similar last name, and I always admired her name growing up.

Louisa Katharine--With your last name, this would definitely be my pick. If you still want to use May, how about Louisa Katharine Mae?
    Mae Louisa--I love this, but Mae Wilts is just too flat for me
    Mae Katharine--Beautiful, too, but again, with your last name, I'd go with Louisa.

Either Louisa Katharine, Louisa Katharine Mae, or Louisa Mae Katharine would be
    beautiful and meaningful!

Edit: Oops! Sorry, Hiltzy! YOU were the previous poster to whom I referred! :-) To answer you directly, I love Louisa Mae Katharine, and for me, no, it's not too close to Louisa May Alcott. For me, Louisa Mae is no closer than Mae Lousia, but even if it is associated with Louisa May Alcott, I don't think that would matter. I'd proudly use both Louisa Mae and Louisa Mae Catherine for my daughter.

Also, I feel sad about not liking Mae with your last name, and wanted to mention the idea of Maisie Katharine or Maisie Louisa/Maisie Louisa Katharine. You could nickname her Mae, and she'd have the best of both worlds! Just a thought....

Mae Sheree

I love love Mae Amandine as well.