Menu

Musty Names on the Verge of Cool

What are your favorite musty, old-fashioned names that you think might be super cool within the next five years in Manhattan and West L.A? Or how about in London, Paris, Milan, and/or Berlin? See how well you can predict trends and if any of our ideas are the same...

lola Guest

Re: Musty Names on the Verge of Cool

Well, the ones I think are definitely going to be hit in the next 10 years are Beatrix, Clementine, Cecily, possibly Josephine, Violet, Alice.

Ones I think are cool now, and probably won't get hiot for another 20 or so years: Jemima, Zelda, Elspeth, Edith.

Now boys, those are harder, because boys don't cycle as fast as the girls: Maybe Wayne will come back in about 20 years, he's never been off the charts, suprisingly. Maybe back in the top 100 in 20 years. I think George & Arthur might get a bit more popular than they are now (George is in the mid 100's, Arthur's in the mid 300's) I'm hoping to see things like Cosmo, Rufus, Rupert, Alasdair, Barnaby & Linus get a bit more popular again, none of those are on the charts nor have they been for a while. Rufus is the latest one, Off the charts since 1988.

I don't know enough about what's happening in Europe to predict trends there. But I will try to predict what names will hit the Hipster List here:
    Girls
    Helen
    Hollis
    Honor (may already be hipster, will be pretty popular, I think. I like it!)
    Kay
    Maxine
    Ruth
    Blythe
    Viola
    Maude (I think it already has hit)
    Minerva
    Hester
    Willa
    Rosemary
    Sawyer (will be popular, not necessarily hipster, has a lovely sound)
    Delphine
    Ginger (can't wait for this to hit. So cute!)

Boys
    Willis
    Chester
    Ansel
    Cormac
    Truman
    Rupert
    Bernard
    Rasmus
    Warren
    Otis
    Clyde
    Martin
    Ralph
    Victor
    Vincent

I think Clyde is the very definition of musty-verging-on-cool. Which just means I've been thinking about the name lately. It's got definitely hipster potential.

I wonder if names like Judy and Betty, Earl and Lou will be the next hipster trend? I could definitely see these names popping up in Brooklyn and Portland soon.
    :: o l i v e ::

I could see Betty and Earl making a comeback. Lou is actually top 10 in France for girls. But I do wonder if some names are gone forever-- Patsy? Gene?

Yes, I think some might be gone forever. I for one hope that Gary and Doris never return! But who knows? Gary could sound totally hip to our grandkids one day.
    :: o l i v e ::

lola Guest

Awww, olivegreen! I like Gary! I find him breezy and fresh, but then, I also like Dennis and Wayne (but couldn't use Wayne, it was my Pop's hated name) Maybe my grandkids will use it!

What a great topic! The names that popped into mind were already mentioned by Lola and Susan (namely, Beatrix, Josephine, Violet, Alice, Clementine, Helen, Hollis, and Honor), and I'm now wondering about Eloise, Louisa, Gemma, Elodie, Mirabelle, and Veronica.

The one name I can't ever imagine seeing the light of day, however, would be Hester! AAHH!! Hester Prynne of the Scarlet Letter will never be forgotten, and I don't think any little Hesters will ever be running around, thanks to associations with the character.

Boys:
    Asher-On the move now
    Abraham
    Eben
    Emory/Emmett
    Larkin-Could be swept along with the Irish wave of Declan et. al.
    Malachi
    Abner-This one could be wishful thinking but it is a cool name.
    Quentin

Girls:
    Ivy-This one is already moving up I think
    Meredith
    Pearl
    Ada-As an alternate to all the Ava/Eva's out there now.
    Merle
    Clementine
    Audra/Audrey
    Eliza
    Dorothy/Dorothea
    Georgia
    Clara
    Hermione
    Flora
    Vida
    Lucinda
    Judith
    Stanley-If Sydney & Ashley can make the jump, why not?