Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: boy name advice

boy name advice

We've decided on a girl name, but are having lots of trouble with boy names. What are your thoughts on...

Denver*
    Warren*
    Asher
    Beckett
    Patrick*
    Eldon*
    Holden
    Gray
    Adler
    Durbin*
    Archer
    Lane*

our last name ends with an "ins" sound if that helps. The names with asterisks are family names and we'll probably end up using a family name for either first or middle. Thanks for your input!

lola Guest

Re: boy name advice

Wow! I like a lot of these, your family neames, especially!

Denver* - for place names, this one feels almost retro, thanks to Bob Denver. Very snazzy sound!
    Warren* - one of my all time favorites, works beautifully as a first name unless your surname starts witha W too.
    Asher - One of the lovely Ash names! I love them all. And I like Asher best of them all.
    Beckett - I prefer Becket, to the two t version but either way, Beck is cool.
    Patrick* - I grew up with a thousand Patricks, so to me (a 41 year old) the name feels dated. But He'd stand out in the sea of Aidens, for sure!
    Eldon* - I like jazzy Eldon, have since Murphy Brown. Snazzy!
    Holden - Feels pun-ny to me Holden who? Holden what? But that's me, I'm sure he'll go over pretty well with most everyone else.
    Gray - I prefer the E spelling, Grey feels more name-like and less "colorful" but I do like Grey, quite a bit. I find the color soft and soothing.
    Adler - interesting sound, surnamey feel. Pretty cool.
    Durbin* - makes me think of Deanna Durbin, funnily enough. This one, because of that feminine association, shoud probably be middle only material.
    Archer - Not my cup of coffee, I'm not fond of Archie to begin with but prefer the standard Archibald over the trendy Archer. I'm weird though. Someone else is bound to like Archer. It's just not going to be me.
    Lane* - feels a touch feminine because of Laney/Lainey and Lois Lane, Superman's flame. I'd probably use this in the middle for a girl, myself. Last Lane guy I can recall? John Cusak's character in "Better off Dead" back in 1985. Yeah, i say save this one for a girl.

My favorite sort of pairing from your list? Eldon Grey. Very jazzy cool.

Hey there, what an interesting list! I like the combination of popular vs. unusual, and the plethora of family names. Here's my two cents:

Denver*-- I'm not crazy about place names, and this one just doesn't do much for me.
    Warren*-- Love love LOVE Warren. It's a family name for me too, and I think it doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves. :)
    Asher-- trendy, and I think it will feel dated as he grows older
    Beckett-- this one is becoming popular with celebs, so it's only a matter of time before it bleeds over
    Patrick*-- uncommon enough to get my attention, but not a name I can get really excited about, you know?
    Eldon*-- also a family name for me (Hey-- are we related?!?!), I like it, but it's still an old man name
    Holden-- handsome, as long as you're prepared to talk to people about Salinger a LOT
    Gray-- I also think this one is handsome, particularly as a nn for Grayson; cowboy chic, like Zane Gray
    Adler-- I think of Stephen Adler immediately, of GNR and Celebrity rehab fame/infamy. Also, it sounds like "rattler" to me, which is a bit negative
    Durbin*-- would work as a middle, I think, but I can't imagine calling the kid that
    Archer-- very handsome, and Archie is a super-fun nn, the kind of guy who everyone wants to hang with!
    Lane*-- dated; the rest of your names feel much more masculine, making this one the odd name out

Denver - Truthfully, I'm not the biggest fan of Denver. It's just too country-western for me.
    Warren - I like this a lot. I think it would make a great middle name.
    Asher - I LOVE Asher. One of my favorites from your list.
    Beckett - It works. Becks, Beck are great nicknames.
    Patrick - I like it more as a middle name.
    Eldon - I'm not a fan of this. Too many "El-" girl names right now.
    Holden - I like this. Very moody Catcher in the Rye feel.
    Gray - I LOVE Gray/Grey. As a middle or a first name.
    Adler - I'm not a fan. I just don't see this on a person.
    Durbin - I feel the same way about this.
    Archer - I also love this!
    Lane - for a boy, I think this would make a better middle name.

My favorite combos are Asher Warren or Archer Grey. You have some great choices here!

Thanks for your input! I think we've decided to drop Beckett. I wasn't aware of its popularity with celebrities. :(

I like Asher or Archer :)

Ok, so do you prefer Asher Warren or Archer Warren?

Archer Warren. Because Archie as nn is too adorable.

I agree with Melissa. Definitely Archer. Archie is such a great nickname! I think Asher might have the tendency to get lost among some of the other "Ash" names; e.g., Ashley, Ashton, etc.
    Top 10 Girls: Louisa, Helen, June, Frances, Elizabeth, Alice, Eleanor, Clara, Hazel, Sylvia
    Top 10 Boys: Henry, August, Samuel, Walter, Peter, William, Archer, Lewis, Theodore, Eliot

I'm going to go with Asher Warren. I'm not a fan of Archer, as it reminds me of archery and violence. While Asher is a lovely, classic name, Archer is just too trendy for my tastes. That said, you need to pick the name that YOU love!