Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

lola Guest

Re: Top 25 Girls Names Review?

I love these (and would use them myself):

Caroline -timeless classic!
    Daphne - lovely mythological/botanical name.
    Eleanor (only spelled Elinor) - A gorgeous classic. I prefer the literary Elinor/Elanor, having known several nasty Eleanors in my lifetime. But Eleanor is gorgeous as long as it's not on my kid.
    Elsa - sweet, simple & refreshing. Feels a bit nicknamey to me but does stand fine on it's own, ala Molly.
    Elspeth - One of my favorites! Stylish, sweet & feminine but not soft. I absolutley love Elspeth! I'd nickname an elspeth of mine, Elsa.
    Esme - Twilight notwithstanding, Esme's a variation of a family name for me and figures among my top favorites. I think it's simply elegant and perfectly feminine.
    Jane - simply lovely and really timeless.
    Rose - as a first name, outstandingly simple and lovely. As a middle, a bit dated and somewhat boring.
    Rosemary - One of my favorite Rose-variants, Rosemary's beautiful. Strong, sweet and with her mulitple nicknames (Rose/Rosie/Mary/Romy) a real winner of a name!
    Vera - Lovely, warm and comfortable. I've known a few Vera in my lifetime, all lovely, warm, wonderful women.
    Violet - My favorite Aunt's name and one of my Mom's favorite flowers. Violet's loaded with significance for me and figures in several of my top combos for those reasons. She's going to be super hot in the ears to come though, so if top 20 isn't a comfortable place for you, use it as a middle.

I like these on someone else's kid:

Ada - charmingly sweet. I just prefer her as a nickname for Adeline.
    Annabel - I'm rather tired of all the Bella names and while Annabel's undeniably pretty, she's too popular for me.
    Audrey - I love the Audrey Hepburn assocation. But all I can get my brain to do with Audrey is rhyme "Audrey, Tawdry"... and because of that, she's a "lovely for anyone else" sort of choice.
    Eden - Not a fan of place names, Biblical or not. And I prefer Edith as a way to get to Edie. I think Eden's going to be dated in the future too.
    Etta - it would be a love/use name for me if it were a nickname for Henrietta, but is far too unsubstantial and nicknamey alone.
    Kate - Just tired of Kate, really. I know sooo many between the age of 55 and 4. She needs a break!
    Katherine - a lovely classic, really. I prefer Katherine over all other varieties but still, I think I'd rather see anything else on a girl. katherine's beginning to feel like a cop out name "we couldn't think of anything else so Katherine she became" Kind of thing. Maybe reviving some of the older Katherine nickmaes? Kay, Kitty/Kit? Elizabeth is on that list too.
    Ilsa - I love Ilsa but fear the "oh your folks were Casablanca fans" thing she might get her whole life.
    Iona - This one just doesn't appeal to me. I find it too simple & a bit trendy (because it's a Celtic name). Iona's not my cup of tuna.
    Maeve - is undeniably pretty. I find her meaning "intoxicating" a bit offputting myself (but then, alcoholism looms rather large in my family and it's something we all are careful of. I really like Maeve despite that, on anyone's girl but mine.

And I dislike these:

Charlotte - it's me, mainly. All is see when I look at Charlotte is the "harlot" in the middle. It's a fine name, but not one I could ever get behind.
    Isla - Trendy, trendy, tredny, thanks to Isla Fisher. Pretty but I think it'll date in the future.
    Liv - okay but strikes me as nicknamey. I wouldn't mind Olive/Olivia , nn Liv.
    Lotta - Again, strikes me as nicknamey. It's the yank in me. Charlotte, nn Lotta or Lottie would be lovely, though.

My two cents:

Names Id consider using:
    Carolinea classic I never get tired of hearing
    Daphneuncommon enough to get attention, lovely
    EdenI think its so pretty, even though Marcia Cross made it trendy
    Elsa/Ilsathese go together for me ; remind me of Casablanca, which is a good association
    EsmeI love this name, even though Im afraid it causes problems; I had a well-educated acquaintance whose dog was called EES-muh, and I finally asked her to spell it oh yeah, she was butchering the crap out of Esme. I could have cried.
    IslaLolas right, its trendy, but Im willing to live with that. ?

Names Im down with other people using:
    Adasimple and pretty, an alternative to the increasingly tired Ava
    Eleanorlike Lola, I prefer the Elinor spelling, dont know why
    Janepretty, but a wee bit plain for my tastes; almost an afterthought of a name
    Verafortunately, kids her age have never seen Alice, so this name works for me
    IonaI like it, but I think theres bound to be some teasing with this one (Iona Carr, etc.)

Names I just cant get excited about:
    Annabeltired; the beloved name of those who cant decide between Anna and Isabel
    AudreyHepburn is an icon, but the name by itself just doesnt thrill me
    Charlottea bit stuffy
    Elspethits interesting, but it sounds like a witch name
    EttaI love Etta James, but as a stand-alone name it feels like something is missing
    Kate/Katherinetired. Very, very tired.
    Livlike Etta, feels like it got chopped off. Liv as a nickname works, but not a stand-alone
    LottaZeppelin: I gotta whole lotta love (guitar riff), I gotta whole lotta love. Cant get past it.
    MaeveI feel like Im supposed to like this name a whole lot more than I do.
    Rose/RosemaryRose is tired, and Rosemary hasnt made its old lady revival for me just yet; I still automatically think Rosemarys Baby.
    VioletEveryones going to assume you got it from Jennifer Garner.

You have great taste! All of these names are pretty, but here are my personal favorites:

Daphne (cute, but I like the French Delphine even more)
    Eleanor
    Elsa (I think this one needs to be revived!)
    Esme
    Jane (would need more unusual surname though)
    Lotta (best as a nickname for Charlotte, but really sweet)
    Rose

I really love the sound of Violet and Annabel, but I think they'll probably be mega-popular soon. But if that doesn't bother you then go for it.
    :: o l i v e ::

Ada-not wild about it. Good Nabokov novel. Actually I prefer Ava.
    Annabel-really like it
    Audrey-Mmmm, Audrey Hepburn, love it.
    Caroline-love and adore
    Charlotte-is one of my favorites, but Lola just ruined it for me by pointing out the harlot in the middle : (!
    Daphne-love and adore
    Eden-gonna be trendy
    Eleanor-fabulous
    Elsa-the lioness although I do love lionesses.
    Elspeth-reminds me of a spelling bee, can't get that out of my head as much as I try!
    Esme-like it, love Salinger
    Etta-no
    Ilsa-Casablanca, yes I love the character Ilsa. Here's looking at you, Ilsa!
    Iona-I think it's on my Body Parts Names List. If not, I need to put it on. That list is very silly with lots of puns. If you think of more names to go on it, tell me. To find the list look up Armand (Arm) and scroll down.
    Isla-nice on somebody else's kid
    Jane-love and adore. My cousin's daughter and that's why my daughter isn't Jane.
    Kate-my husband loves it. I really like it.
    Katherine-I love Catherine
    Liv-no
    Lotta-sounds really big, sorry!
    Maeve-love beyond description, but my husband hates it. He hates Mavis even more!
    Rose-love
    Rosemary-yum, yum, and so many cute nicknames-Rosie, Romy, Roxie
    Vera-Ooohhh, nice
    Violet-This is a beautiful name, but I don't like it because it was my aunt's name. My Aunt Vi never liked me, even when I was a little tiny girl. She liked my sister but when my sister got married Aunt Vi didn't like her husband so now she doesn't like either one of us. : (.

Ada - Does nothing for me.
    Annabel - I love this name, though the DH doesn't, so we never used it. I would spell it Annabelle, though.
    Audrey - Elegant, very pretty.
    Caroline - All the Carolines I know are not very friendly, so for me it's a bad association.
    Charlotte - Okay.
    Daphne - I think of the Daphne from Greek Mythology. In the story, Daphne begged her father to help her escape from Apollo. He answered her wish and turned her into a laurel tree.
    Eden - Eh.
    Eleanor - It's okay, though I love Lenore.
    Elsa - Nope.
    Elspeth - Nope.
    Esme - It's pretty, but not my favorite.
    Etta - Nope.
    Ilsa - Nah.
    Iona - Nope.
    Jane - One of my best friends is Jane, and it fits her perfectly. It's gorgeous and timeless!
    Kate - Alright.
    Katherine - Beautiful!
    Liv - Nope.
    Lotta - Short for Charlotte?
    Maeve - I think of Mauve.
    Rose - Beautiful and sweet!
    Rosemary - Not my fave.
    Vera - Pretty.
    Violet - Nah.

Ones I would consider if I were having more children:

Annabel
    Caroline
    Eden
    Elspeth
    Esme
    Jane
    Kate
    Maeve
    Rose
    Rosemary
    Violet

Ada - A little insubstantial, but sounds nice...
    Annabel - As long as it's not Annabelle I'm down! nn Annie is lovely!
    Audrey - I love it, but it's soo trendy!
    Caroline - too boring for me, Carolina is much better!
    Charlotte - This one always seems tacky to me, a wannabe classic that just never measures up to Katherine or Elizabeth.
    Daphne - I like it for the history and meaning, but the sound is somewhat unpleasant
    Eden - I like it, but it's really trendy again... The Norwegian Idun or Iben might appeal to you? Idun was the goddess of Eternal youth in Norse mythology!
    Eleanor - Prefer Eleanora with the nn Nora! Leonora is also lovely
    Elsa - I love it! Love Love Love!
    Elspeth - My favourite version of Elizabeth, next to Eliza, Beautiful! And gets the Elsa nickname ;)
    Esme - I can feel it climbing the charts like isla, and prefer Ismay
    Etta - Love it, as a nickname for Rosetta
    Ilsa - I love Elsa more, but Ilsa is slightly more exotic!
    Iona - I prefer Ione, to avoid the 'I own a' jokes
    Isla - Future chart-topper, too soft for me
    Jane - A bit dull, but I like it better than Caroline!
    Kate - Kate is lovely, but prefer it as a nickname for Katherine or Katharina
    Katherine - I like Katherine!
    Liv - Liv sounds so wonderful and exotic in English and it's so refreshing to see since it's considered very dated here in Norway.. The 'life' meaning is also magnificent!
    Lotta - Lottie would be better, Lotta is a whole lotta name!
    Maeve - I want to love Maeve, but I always reach the conclusion that she's too abrupt for me with her one syllable...
    Rose - I have problems with mono syllabic names, they feel incomplete.. I like it as a nickname for Rosamund, Rosalie or Primrose
    Rosemary - or as a nickname for Rosemary, which I think is charming!
    Vera - Makes me think of Pink Floyd and smile to myself.. Lovely name!
    Violet - I always read Violent so I could never use the name myself.. Also, I prefer Lilac or Lavender or Viola..

I'm sorry if I seem a bit harsh, I really love a lot of the names, it's just easier to point out the things I don't like about a name. I'm also telling you what I think about them, and I would never use one of the 'classics'. Most of the names I like aren't even in the top 1000 which of course colours my opinion! :)
    My favourites are Liv, Elspeth/Elsa/Ilsa, Vera, Etta and Annabel...
    If you turned Annabel into Amabel (which I ADORE) you'd get a better meaning, more unique and historic name and not have her be one of many future Annabels, since the name will become more popular... She'd probably have to explain that her name isn't Annabel a lot though, but if you gave her the nn Amy it might be less of a problem.. Bell is also a lovely nickname!

^^
    Åshild | lover of books & baked goods

Norwegian word names
    Fryd + Lova + Vår + Sol
    [ + + + ]
    Iver + Trygg + Vilje + Leik

&

Inga Ludivine + Eluney Bird + Tenebrae Rosa + Easter Ealisaid + Miruna Clio
    Arezou Salome + Liatris Una + Umeko Elettra + Noor Niobe

[ + + + ]
    Sulo Alasdair + Echo Taliesin + Laufey Corentyn + Rivalen Rue
    Lupin Amias + Zennor Ianto + Etienne Tauno + Locryn Remiel + Aolú Immanuel

GP:
    Kiddo

Ada-Ava ruined this one for me
    Annabel-pretty but way too trendy
    Audrey-ok
    Caroline-love*
    Charlotte-see Annabel
    Daphne-love it, great sub for the popular Chloe.*
    Eden-ok but trendy
    Eleanor-nice
    Elsa-ok
    Elspeth-love it, not brave enough to use it
    Esme-love*
    Etta-not for me
    Ilsa-I prefer Elsa
    Iona-not sure how to pronounce it, sorry
    Isla-pretty
    Jane-great!*
    Kate-I prefer Catherine
    Katherine-see Kate
    Liv-as a nn for Olivia, yes
    Lotta-not for me
    Maeve-nice
    Rose-I am obviously biased, but I do like it (not as a mn)
    Rosemary-not my fav
    Vera-nice
    Violet-pretty, but too trendy

Good luck!