Menu

HELP!! What do these names sound like when you hear them?

My husband and I haven't foud a name that we like yet for this baby.We ave 4 girls already Alexis, Brooklyn, Keegan, and Hailey.This is our first boy so I was just wondering what some of these names sound like to people other than me so let me know what ya think.oh the middle name is DH's first name so it will be alexander for the middle name.

cody

maddox

milo

cash

briston

jaxon

Re: HELP!! What do these names sound like when you hear them?

cody-sounds like a cowboy and sounds cool. He seems like he loves to ride horses and wears pointy-toed cowboy boots.

maddox-sounds trendy and kind of sophisticated. Also sounds like he's in a bad mood all the time.

milo-love it. sounds cool, intelligent and slightly nerdy. I love slightly nerdy guys who are really smart and wear interesting-looking glasses. Sounds like he enjoys traveling. Could be an artist or a jazz musician.

cash-sounds like he's way into money and like he has a bunch of coins in his pocket that are weighing him down.

briston-don't like it. I think of brisket and Dristan.

jaxon- I like it spelled Jackson. It is a fave of mine. Love it!

cody-- definitely a cowboy. Also, I think it peeked in the 90s (when Austin was uber-trendy too). This year I have a girl student named Codi, so that's kind of messing with my perception.

maddox-- verrrrry popular as are most 'x' names. My friend has a little boy named Maddox; it's fine, but a little prep school for my tastes.

milo-- cool, kinda artsy but not out there, the kid that everyone likes

cash-- I'm down with Cash, being a fan of the singer, and Cash Alexander sounds quite manly.

briston-- feels made up, like you're trying too hard to be cool

jaxon-- like Susan, I prefer the traditional spelling. Jackson is also a cowboy... and a heartbreaker, too. I looove meeting men named Jackson!

Just a suggestion

The ladies responded pretty much the same way as I would. another point I did want to make is that Cody is a unisex name and I'd be inclined to stay away from it because he's THE boy of the family.

I know you want to use your dh's name as the mn. And this may sound odd, but the first thought was naming him Zander or Xander.... yeah, as a first name. I'm guessing your dh usually goes by Alex? So there'd be no confusion in the house.

Seriously, this just popped into my head so I thought I'd type it down, you know, just in case it's something that might appeal to you.

(also, I think Joshua goes nice with all the girls names)

lola Guest

Cody - add me to the group who says "cowboy". But he's a dated cowboy, when I hear Cody, I think Kathie Lee, and her Cody has got to be at least a teenager by now!

Maddox - Brangelina. Maddox always strikes me as 'their name" if that makes any sense. I don't like the looks of Maddox either, all I see is mad- ox (and I know there's an extra d). how about Mannix as an alternative? Manny's a cooler nickname than anything you could get out of Maddox and feels similar but doesn't sound copycat-ish. Just thinking. Gannon's another choice that might appeal to you instead. I actually don't mind Gannon! And Gannon Alexander sounds pretty spiffy.

Milo - I like Milo. He's a bit nicknamey for me (I prefer Miles, nn Milo, myself) but he's nice, stands well on a child or an adult and definitely feels masculine in that sea of girls you've got (that I envy so much)! :D Milo Alexander would be my choice, easily. I'm far more traditional a namer.

Cash - I'm waffly on Cash. I have Cassius in my #4 spot, nn Cash but think Cash on it's own is a bit desperate sounding. And Cash Warren doesn't really inspire me much. But I can take him alright. And he does feel a bit cowboyish. And definitely male again, which is a big plus! I just prefer him as a nickname.

Briston - I agree with whomever said "feels try -too-hard" And Briston feels a bit girly too, what with Bristol Palin in the news. I'd pass, he makes my nose wrinkle badly.

Jaxon - makes me think Claxon, which is what EMT/Fire/Police guys have at home for when they're on call but don't have to be at the station. Jackson makes me think of SG-1 (Daniel Jackson, yummy!) or Jackson, NJ (where Six Flags is). I'd go with John, Nn Jack, myself (Like Pres. Kennedy) But of the two, I'd rather Jackson, it looks a bit more polished and less trendy that way. It'll age better.

Sorry I can't be a bit more positive. I tried very hard to keep my mind open, your style and mine are literally polar opposites and I'm sure you'd have no fun looking at my lists!

Re: Just a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by mom2rhys
    The ladies responded pretty much the same way as I would. another point I did want to make is that Cody is a unisex name and I'd be inclined to stay away from it because he's THE boy of the family.

I know you want to use your dh's name as the mn. And this may sound odd, but the first thought was naming him Zander or Xander.... yeah, as a first name. I'm guessing your dh usually goes by Alex? So there'd be no confusion in the house.

Seriously, this just popped into my head so I thought I'd type it down, you know, just in case it's something that might appeal to you.

(also, I think Joshua goes nice with all the girls names)
    I really like Xander and Zander for Alexander. Great first name! It's a good idea to give your only son who will be the youngest a manly name. Joshua is nice. There are lots of choices. Alexander is great.
    Favorite Manly Names:
    Logan-would work well with the sisters' names-hey, everybody, is Logan pretty manly to you?
    Henry
    Thomas
    Matthew
    Andrew
    Nicholas
    Patrick
    Jacob
    Jack
    James
    Seth
    Isaac
    Elijah
    Ezra
    Owen
    Joseph
    Philip
    Edward, Edwin

I really liked Cody but then I read the reply about how it is a sort of unisex name now. I think that in a family of girls he should have a more masculine name. I like Milo and Jackson(even if it is popular).