Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ryan for a girl?

For some reason I've been liking the name Ryan for a girl. What do you think?

I got the idea from someone else who named her daughter Ryan. When I first learned what her daughter's name is I thought it was a bit weird, but the idea has grown on me since. Some issues with this name that I thought about would be people thinking that she's a boy from just knowing the name and her frequently running into boys with the same name (since Ryan is still quite popular for boys). In fact that happened with me about that girl Ryan I mentioned; when her mother first mentioned her I thought it was a boy until I found out otherwise.

There's only a handful of "boy names" that I like for girls, but this is one of them.

Re: Ryan for a girl?

I would steer clear in NZ Ryan is quite popular for a boy!

If using though would spell Rhyanne or Rian or some other alternative.

Personally I wouldnt call a girl Ryan.

lola Guest

Well, if it appeals to you, then use it. I prefer femininsed boys names (Wilhelmina, Josephine, Alanna etc.) and Since I like odd names, in general (Cosmo's my front runner for a boy) and wouldn't inisist on others using the names I like, how can I say "No, Don't"! even though the thought of Ryan on a sweet little girl makes me frown. I've known a female Kyle and while it made me go "Whaaa?", she seemed unbothered by it.

So, it's not my cup of tuna, but if it floats your boat, go for it!

I've had a couple of female students named Ryan, though usually with spelling variations like Ryann or Rian. Come to think of it, I've never had a *boy* student named Ryan. Hmm, strange. Anyway, I think it works just fine for a girl.

I personally don't love Ryan (or Rianne or Rhyanne) for a girl. I do think if you choose it, you should spell it in a way that people expect (Ryan) and if you want to up the feminine feeling, give her a flowery middle name like:

Ryan Rose
    Ryan Elizabeth
    Ryan Juliet
    Ryan Claire
    Ryan Amelia

Or 'Rhyen'--I think that looks interesting.

I love Ryan for a girl. I have known a few of them in real life, and it seemed normal for this to be their name. Go for it!

Although it is a little too unisex for me it does work for a girl . . . . I think because it sounds like the whole Rhiannin, Brianna, Brianne, Brynn thing plus there is the whole Kyla thing. Brian, Ryan and Kyle are sounding more girly because of those names I think. If that makes any sense at all :)

I LOVE Ryan for a girl!!! My friend has two daugther and one of them is named Ryan (the other is Jordan)
    I would consider using it if my friend didnt use it!

I would just give her an ultra feminine middle name :]

I love the name Ryan. It's my youngest sons name.