Menu

Pronunciation of Clara??

How do you pronounce Clara: Clah-rah or Clair-ah?

lola Guest

Re: Pronunciation of Clara??

Clah-rah for me. I'm a northern, East Coast chick and I've never even heard clair-ah. That sounds weird to me! :)

Really? I'm from the south and we pronounce it clair-uh. I even have an aunt named Clara and haven't heard of it being pronounced any other way.

lola Guest

I think you've nailed it, Vivian. :D Clara's got regional pronuciations. Up here in New England, Clara, Sara, Lara & Tara all have that short AH at the beginning[for lack of a better term] (Clah-rah, Sah-rah, Lah-rah & Tah-rah). Then again, I grew up in NJ, near NYC and say them the same way we do here in MA. I have cousins in Georgia that say my name, Laura, as LAIR-ah, which bugs the heck out of me, it's LAWH-rah, see why I go by Lola anymore? I try to avoid names like that, myself for precisely that reason. Regionalizations drive me bananas!

I am from L.A. and I say Clair-uh. My daughter's name is Laura and most people here pronounce it Lore-uh. But we had an interim priest at our church who was from Massachusetts, and he called my daughter Law-rah. Then when something like that happens I worry that I am pronouncing my own daughter's name incorrectly. Sometimes I try to find a happy medium somewhere between Lore-uh and Law-ra. It's something like Lawrr-uh.

English (South-East, not London) person here who pronounces it Clah-rah. I'd never heard of Clair-rah until I ventured onto the name boards of the internet.

I pronounce it Clair-uh. I grew up in upstate NY and we pronounced it like that there, too (I had a friend named Clara).

Deep south, here it's Claire-uh. I've certainly heard Clah-ruh, but it always sounded a bit affected, like Eloise at the Plaaaahza. ;)

Whenever I meet a Laura, I go ahead and ask how she prefers it to be pronounced. Same with Tamara, Lana, and so forth.

Clara-ah I'm from New Zealand