Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Review my Boys?

lola Guest

Review my Boys?

I figured, since I put my girls up for inspection, I should put my boys up too. I'm a bit less wafflya bout my boys, I like these pretty much in the order they are right now, but would love to hear what you all think of them anyway!

Here they are:
    Cosmo
    Barnaby - would be nn'd Barney, Barnes, Bex (for his initials, sort of)
    Remus - Remy or, again, for initials: Rex. (I think Rex is wicked awesome)
    Cassius - Cash or Cass
    Clarence - nn Clancy
    Alasdair
    August - Augie, not Gus. Augie feels more 20's polished and less 30's tough guy.
    Lucius - potential nn? Lou. No, Malfoy's HOT, ;) He is not a turnoff of the name at all!
    Arthur
    Linus

If you want to know anything about them at all, just ask. I'd love to talk about the boys! ;)

Re: Review my Boys?

Cosmo-utterly fabulous!
    Barnaby - would be nn'd Barney, Barnes, Bex (for his initials, sort of)-love Barnaby but don't love the nicknames as much.
    Remus - Remy or, again, for initials: Rex. (I think Rex is wicked awesome)-wonderful.
    Cassius - Cash or Cass-love Cassius so much, I would have never thought of it myself.
    Clarence - nn Clancy-wonderful full name and nickname.
    Alasdair-very handsome.
    August - Augie, not Gus. Augie feels more 20's polished and less 30's tough guy.-This is wonderful, too! Love Augie more than Gus.
    Lucius - potential nn? Lou. No, Malfoy's HOT, ;) He is not a turnoff of the name at all! This is huggably cute.
    Arthur-this was my father's middle name and my grandmother's maiden name so not only do I love the sound of it, but it is very special in my family. A winner!
    Linus-my friend named her son Linus. He is sooo cute with blonde curly hair and he had to start wearing glasses when he was two. He always has had very cool glasses. At the time, it seemed like kind of an odd name, but we quickly started liking it. His sister is named Amelia.

Now I want to put down some boys' names that I love as well:
    Thomas
    Philip
    Vincent
    Ansel
    Bernard nn Bernie
    Theodore nn Theo
    Carsten
    Magnus
    Tobias nn Toby

Lola I love your names, you can't go wrong! I will say that Cosmo, Remus, and Cassius are my favorites but all of them go well with Simon, Leo, and Josephine. Good luck with a pink bundle!

lola Guest

Thanks overwhelmedmomma! (wow, that's a lot to type out!) :D

Susan, From your list, I love Magnus, Philip, Ansel (I have Anselm on my lists) & Theodore/Theo (My favorite Uncle is Theodore/Teo)!

I like Vincent (even though he feels like a Mafia tough to this NJ chick), Thomas, in fact, the only one that doesn't make me smile is Carsten. he sounds surnamey to me and as such, I'd only want Carsten in the middle somewhere. And I know two Bernard/Bernie guys. One's almost 5 and the other is 54. The Big one's not such a nice guy but the 5 year old is a doll! Tobias is surnamey to me too, I used to know a guy with that as his surname. And Toby feels perpetually 5 to me, even Toby McGuire (did I spell that right?) doesn't make me like his name. I like him, but he's not a Toby when I look at him (he looks like a Fritz to me!)

Sorry about my long username, it matched the mood I was in when I created the account. You can call me Vivian, it's alot easier on your fingers, lol.

Great names! Cosmo= for me, it will always be Kramer from Seinfeld.
    Barnaby= fun! I'd be wary of Bex; the two I know are girls (nn for Rebecca)
    Remus- wouldn't work in this region (Brer Rabbit, etc.), but I think Remy is beautiful and Rex is quite handsome. :)
    Cassius-- again, an immediate association with Muhammed Ali, but once I get past that, I really like the name.
    August-- I love Augie! I used to have a terrible crush on an adorable young man with that name (his was short for Augustine-- AuGUStin, not AW-gus-teen.):)
    Arthur-- another great choice. I love it for a little guy and it certainly ages with him!
    Linus-- always my favorite Peanuts character, so that's a big positive association. Love it!

From Susan's list, I really love Thomas-- it's a family name for me, and it sound great in French too, which puts it high on my list. (Fiance is French.)
    Ansel *and* Anselm both work for me.
    Bernard nn Bernie: only if it's pronounced the English way, emphasis on the first syllable
    Carsten- I've only seen this one on a girl, so I'd need some time to adjust :)
    Magnus-- love it. Didn't Will Ferrell use it for his son?
    Tobias nn Toby-- I like Tobias (despite the Arrested Development character), but Toby always strikes me as a dog name-- even moreso than Rex! ;)

I avoid thinking about boys' names because of the French thing-- we'll need a name that functions well in both languages. No babies on the horizon just yet, but for now I'm quite fond of:

Atticus (trendy, but Atticus Finch is my favorite character EVER)
    Jules
    Remy (look familiar?)
    Asa
    Calvin
    Enzo
    Florian (love this, but I'm wondering if it's too wimpy for the States??)
    Hugo
    Marius
    Rhys

lola Guest

You've got a good bunch that should work in both French & English but seeing as how I speak very little French [I can sing Frre Jacques and that's about it for my French]. Oh, and Pamplemousse; I can order Grapefruit and I'm done. I can't really say with 100% certantity that it'll work. I can say if I think it would, though!

Atticus - If you don't mind defending that he's your fave character ever, then go for it. I think he's pretty sharp sounding. Of course, I'd just name the Kid Archibald, call him Cary and be done with it myself. Cary Grant really brought Atticus Finch to life.

Jules - Here in the States, he'd better be able to back that up with something. Jules is what a lot of the Jul- girls use as a nickname (See 'Superbad', if you don't believe me) I'd happily name a boy Julius and nickname him Jules. But Jules all by himself is a bit too nicknamey for middle school.

Remy (look familiar?) - Indeed he does! He sounds great with a lot of surnames and I think works fantastically in just about any Latin based language.

Asa - He's a favorite of mine, so simple yet so strong! And he's Biblical, so he's likely to travel well.

Calvin - I get a big religious vibe from Calvin, so can't consider him myself but I like Cal and the Calvin & Hobbes assocation is awesome. I can't say if he'd travel well but I think he should.

Enzo - I know he travels well, I've known Enzos here in the States born in the States. And known three Italian Enzos and two French ones back in the 80's. I think Enzo's pretty snazzy and handsome!

Florian - I love Florian too, but my other half always shoots him down as "too flowery". I think it's fine, myself. So I hesitate to say yeah, but maybe with the right surname.

Hugo - I think he's ubertrendy in France, but I love Hugo. I would happily use him myself but my other half makes "Huge Hugo" jokes. *Sigh* men! Warm, friendly, happy Hugo.

Marius - He travels. :) Anything from Ancient Rome travels well, probably because they did too. I've got a Polish cousin named Marius! I think he's great. My other half tosses him out occasionally. He's an Ann Rice Vampire though, which keeps him on the "OOH, I like him!" lists but that's as far as I get. :D

Rhys - Another one I can't say for sure would work in France, but he's really fantastic here in the States! I had him on the list for Josephine but she didn't need it. :)

Love the input, Lola! Just for the record (and as further proof of my devotion), it was Gregory Peck, not Cary Grant. :)

Believe it or not, Jules is trendy in France too. My beloved brother-in-law's mn is Julius, and I thought of Jules as a way to honor him. For "backing it up," what about Jules in Pulp Fiction??

As I said, all this is speculation. For some reason, French/American girls' names are sooo much easier than boys'.

lola Guest

See, that's why I shouldn't say things right before Josie's bedtime, I always get sidetracked! I just saw "TKAM" sabout 2 weeks ago, you'd think I'd've remembered. *Sheepish grin*

I loathe John Travolta, so I've never seen "Pulp Fiction" (Loathe Tarantino too, for that matter). It might work, but it wouldn't fly in my neighborhood, I know two Jules girls (I hear them talking at the bus stop at the bottom of my front lawn, Jules this, Jules that "Hey Jules" *sigh*. How about Julian, nn Jules? Instead of Julius. (For the record, I adore Julius and would use him but for Josephine, too close). Oh heck, If Kelly can go from the boys to the girls & back again, there's nothing really wrong with a Jules, just Jules guy! :)

Here they are:
    Cosmo-too Seinfeld specific
    Barnaby - would be nn'd Barney, Barnes, Bex (for his initials, sort of)-it's okay
    Remus - Remy or, again, for initials: Rex. (I think Rex is wicked awesome)-I really like Rex, but not so much Remus
    Cassius - Cash or Cass-I don't care for it
    Clarence - nn Clancy-I like Clarence more than Clancy
    Alasdair-I like this one, but I'd spell it Alistaire, very British
    August - Augie, not Gus. Augie feels more 20's polished and less 30's tough guy.-I have a 5 month old nephew whose name is Augustine, he's called Gus. I like August, though I don't care for the name Gus.
    Lucius - potential nn? Lou. No, Malfoy's HOT, ;) He is not a turnoff of the name at all!-Soumds made up to me
    Arthur-I think Artie would be a really cute 40's-ish sounding nickname
    Linus-never thought about this one before......it's cute

If you want to know anything about them at all, just ask. I'd love to talk about the boys