Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Name for a Boy..

We have a son named Nathan and #2 is on the way, but we can't decide on a name. Can you help with thoughts on our list?

1. Canaan
    2. Noah
    3. Isaac
    4. Spencer
    5. Nolan
    6. Adam
    7. Parker
    8. Gavin
    9. Tyler

DH loves Noah... I am more partial to Canaan... but really like them all about equally. Help! Need some outside thoughts.

lola Guest

Re: Name for a Boy..

From your list here, I'm quite partial to Isaac & Spencer as a brother to Nathan. Especially Spencer. I really like Spencer! Because you each have a favorite and can't agree, I say toss those two out or agree to combine them, Noah Caanan makes a pretty neat brother to Nathan, too. But I'd really love Spencer Gavin or Spencer Caanan more.
    of the rest:

Nolan - is okay but I'm rather tired of hearing him, he's the name of the year up here near Boston. I hear Nolan everywhere I go! I also dislike the repeating N of Nathan in Nolan.

Adam - Very nice choice actually but rather plain next to Nathan. Would make a great middle name.

Parker - I think Parker's gone girly, sad to say. I hear Parker on a girl a lot online. Not in real life, here but I fear it's switching. And that seems silly to me. Why would someone want to put Park-(h)er on a girl? Eww. Belongs on a boy, IMHO.

Gavin - Feels a bit 90's to me. There are hundreds of Gavins between 2 and 12 in the area I recently moved from (NJ/NY Tri-state).

Tyler - Is *very* 90's and is starting to really feel dated to me. I'd avoid Tyler (and by default, Taylor) at all costs, myself. And I just don't find Ty, particulalrly appealing.

I wish you luck finding the perfect name. Hope I helped a bit! :)

From your list I like Noah, Spencer, Adam, Parker, and Tyler. As for Parker being too "girly" I think that it's still perfectly usable for a boy (I've also heard of Noah, Spencer, and Tyler being used for girls as well).

Super great advice! I never thought to combine any of the others- seems so obvious now! What a great way to find a middle ground. Also- thanks for the advice on Parker and Nolan- Since Nathan is only 22 months old and our first, we don't really have a clue about what is over-popular really- so that is very very helpful.

Thanks a million! Hopefully this will narrow our list and give us a fresh spin.

1. Canaan-is that pronounced Cay-nan? I don't care for it, too odd.

2. Noah- I like it

3. Isaac- I like it, but kind of common

4. Spencer- I don't care for last names being used as first names, so no

5. Nolan-I like it

6. Adam-too ordinary, as opposed to common

7. Parker-again, last name

8. Gavin-I used to like it, but it kind of sounds like javelin

9. Tyler- I agree with the other poster, it's very 80's sounding now

Hope that helps. :-)

I like
    Noah
    Adam
    Spencer

Nathan & Spencer sound the best together

Congrads! For what it's worth, here's my opinion :)
    1. Canaan: Very Biblical! Never thought of it myself but it's definenly growing on me. Sounds like there might be some pronounciation problems but that might depend on what part of the country you live in too.
    2. Noah - Cool - a little popular, do you mind both boys starting with N?
    3. Isaac - Always had a soft spot for this name, love the meaning too.
    4. Spencer - I don't know about this one, do you guys like Sawyer?
    5. Nolan
    6. Adam - Classic, and sounds good with nathan.
    7. Parker
    8. Gavin
    9. Tyler - This name sounds dated to me too.

Some other ideas: Ezra, Colin, Samuel, Micah and Aaron or OH! What about Jericho?

I must say I'm quite partial to Canaan..this is of course because my sons name is Canaan William. Its very unique but still has a strong feel to it. And with William it gives him some normalcy. Plus, it comes with a great nickname! The Huri-Canaan! :)

Canaan - a nice, unusual Biblical name, but I don't particularly like it with Nathan (the two -an endings).
    Noah - I do like this, but I always think it best to avoid giving siblings names beginning with the same letter (I find it a little matchy, and it sort of locks you into a pattern).
    Isaac - goes very nicely with Nathan, I think.
    Spencer - I'm personally not a fan, but it is quite nice with Nathan, and I gather these sort of names are reasonably popular in the US.
    Nolan - the same problem as Noah.
    Adam - a nice name, and goes reasonably well with Nathan.
    Parker - I'm not a fan.
    Gavin - as above.
    Tyler - I feel this is a little dated.

My favourites are Isaac and Spencer, and if the two N names don't bother you, then Noah is nice, too. Good luck!

I vote Noah! LOL...i am due on New Years and if its a boy my husband and I are naming him Noah Michael!