Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    lola Guest

Would love some thoughts!

We've been trying for #4 for a while now and I have a list (just first names) for girls that I just cannot narrow down. Boys have multiple options but most likely will be Cosmo. I'd love to hear thoughts on these:

Cecily
    Ottoline - Tillie/Ottilie
    Beatrix
    Lucretia - Lucy
    Pomeline - Poppy/Milly/Polly
    Maud
    Jemima - Jemma/Mimi
    Zelda
    Winifred - Winnie/Freda
    Edith

Nicknames are optional where I have/them listed. Thanks!

Re: Would love some thoughts!

I love Cosmo!

Cecily-one of my very, very faves!
    Ottoline - Tillie/Ottilie-love it
    Beatrix-love it
    Lucretia - Lucy-love them both, especially Lucy
    Pomeline - Poppy/Milly/Polly-love Pomeline, don't like Poppy as much as Milly/Polly
    Maud-love it for a middle name
    Jemima - Jemma/Mimi-love it
    Zelda-like it, I don't love it
    Winifred - Winnie/Freda-love Freda
    Edith-don't love it that much, but I love Edie
    My favorites of your ideas are Cecily, Ottiline nn Tillie, Lucretia nn Lucy, Pomeline nn Millie/Polly, Freda, and Beatrix. All of your names are really fascinating choices, but I am especially wild about the ones I listed. Do you love Imogen nn Immy?

lola Guest

Yes, I do but can't get him on board with Imogen. So she's not on any of my lists anymore, I had Imogen Violet Elinor/Imogen Violet Jane feel free to swipe them both, if you'd like!
    ETA:
    Thanks for the thoughts on them all. Beatrix is the one that's slding off my list, slowly. I see it everywhere online and I'm afraid it's going to jump. Jemima's a long time love and if I can get past the Siblings J & J thing, then she's going to the top of the list. As is, Zelda's been the longest love of all. I fell in love with Zelda at 2 and still love it. I see Zelda Williams up & coming and she makes me like Zelda even more. My actual top 3 is rather Cecily, Ottoline & Lucretia. Ottoline's one that's been on my lists for about three or four years now. I stumbled across her when Josephine was about 1. Kicked myself. She'd be a perfect Ottoline/Ottilie/Tillie!

So, again, Susan (Love your name too! Maybe I'll end up witha granddaughter named Susan, one of my middles is Susanne!)

I'm very green here, so you may have mentioned this before... but, what are your other dk's names??
    Cecily is a bea-u-ti-ful name!!! I've always adored like names as Cecilia, Celeste, Calista (okay maybe Calista's a little different, lol)... Cecily wasn't one that had come up, but fits in so obviously I'm going to love it.

Is Lola your name or the name of a dd? That's another favorite of mine and I think Cecily fits in nice and snug with Lola (: It wasn't that the others were too different either, I just had Lola on the brain and they didn't seem to really 'fit' as perfectly

lola Guest

Mom to Rhys, My name is Lola (well, it's Laura, but I've been nickname Lola since I was 4). Funny how it's gone from "eww, that's what your folks call you"? To "Wow, what a great name" so recently. It's weird hearing other people use Lola the last few years. My other kids first names are Leo, Simon & Josephine.

Thanks for the Kudoes for Cecily. She's being used to honor a Cecilia (my Babci/Grandmother) who already has four namesakes in the family. Cecily stands out a bit from the Ceil, Celia , Cecilia (x2) group. I like that.

Thanks for the thoughts, it's lovely to get feedback! :D

I love Edith; it's dainty and feminine. I also like Zelda, for its link to the beautiful and feisty Zelda Fitzgerald. Maud, while I wish it were ready for revival, still feels frumpy (though I'd take it as a middle).

Quote Originally Posted by lola
    We've been trying for #4 for a while now and I have a list (just first names) for girls that I just cannot narrow down. Boys have multiple options but most likely will be Cosmo. I'd love to hear thoughts on these:

Cecily
    Ottoline - Tillie/Ottilie
    Beatrix
    Lucretia - Lucy
    Pomeline - Poppy/Milly/Polly
    Maud
    Jemima - Jemma/Mimi
    Zelda
    Winifred - Winnie/Freda
    Edith

Nicknames are optional where I have/them listed. Thanks!

Yes, I do but can't get him on board with Imogen. So she's not on any of my lists anymore, I had Imogen Violet Elinor/Imogen Violet Jane feel free to swipe them both, if you'd like!
    ETA:
    Thanks for the thoughts on them all. Beatrix is the one that's slding off my list, slowly. I see it everywhere online and I'm afraid it's going to jump. Jemima's a long time love and if I can get past the Siblings J & J thing, then she's going to the top of the list. As is, Zelda's been the longest love of all. I fell in love with Zelda at 2 and still love it. I see Zelda Williams up & coming and she makes me like Zelda even more. My actual top 3 is rather Cecily, Ottoline & Lucretia. Ottoline's one that's been on my lists for about three or four years now. I stumbled across her when Josephine was about 1. Kicked myself. She'd be a perfect Ottoline/Ottilie/Tillie!

So, again, Susan (Love your name too! Maybe I'll end up witha granddaughter named Susan, one of my middles is Susanne!)
    I could really love Zelda if I thought about it. I forgot to write on my earlier post that I really love Jemima, too. Guess I was in a hurry. These are my favorite girls' names that sound like your taste that haven't been mentioned. I wonder what you think of these: Genevieve (no nickname that is fun : ( or is there one that you can think of?), Annika, Daphne ( I think you told me you like that one already), Anthea, Millicent nn Millie, Paulina nn Polly or Lena. These are the names I think about when I'm falling asleep. I will have to name a future kitty one of these names. But I will probably name my future kitty Francine nn Francie. I love, love Ottoline/Ottilie/Tillie. You are lucky that your husband likes it. My husband likes the name Ann.

Susan, what do you think of Vivi for Genevieve? :)

Quote Originally Posted by susan
    ETA:

I could really love Zelda if I thought about it. I forgot to write on my earlier post that I really love Jemima, too. Guess I was in a hurry. These are my favorite girls' names that sound like your taste that haven't been mentioned. I wonder what you think of these: Genevieve (no nickname that is fun : ( or is there one that you can think of?), Annika, Daphne ( I think you told me you like that one already), Anthea, Millicent nn Millie, Paulina nn Polly or Lena. These are the names I think about when I'm falling asleep. I will have to name a future kitty one of these names. But I will probably name my future kitty Francine nn Francie. I love, love Ottoline/Ottilie/Tillie. You are lucky that your husband likes it. My husband likes the name Ann.

lola Guest

Genevieve (no nickname that is fun : ( or is there one that you can think of?) - Gennie, Gen, Neve & Eve/Evie are all nicknames for Genevieve. My Babci'sonly sister was Genevieve but she died at 2 of whooping cough. So it's got a huge morbid thought there for me. I could never use it! But I love seeing it on other people's kids.

Annika - reminds me of the little girl in Pippi Longstocking, I like it but it not with my surname.

Daphne - indeed I do like Daphne! She means the same as my Laura and I would love to use her to honor me without matching but all I get from the other half is 'Daffy Daphne' or 'Scooby Doo'. *sigh* I want Josie to make friends witha little Daphne, so I can meet her Mom!

Anthea - another favorite that he dislikes. hera and her associated names do not thrill him. I wish she'd get past him and on the list. Funny too because Pandora's there, but for his Mom.

Millicent nn Millie - I love Millie but after being introduced to "Dark Shadows", find Millicent a bit weak. It's weird because most people think she's too steely! I love Millie though so Pomeline is on my list!

Paulina nn Polly or Lena - I prefer the Italian Paolina because I don't like "paul-eena" I prefer the way it sounds in Italian "pow-LEE-nah" And Lina would be my choice of nicknames. Polly still feels a bit too 70 year old to me. (Maybe because My cousin David is married to a Polly) that and Polly reminds me of poly- plastic. I have really weird associations! :)

And don't sell Ann short. She's powerful, feminine and kind of sweet, like May. I used the family Anne in Josephine's full name. :)

Yay! Two nicknames for Genevieve that I love: Evie and Vivvie. Now I can be excited about that name. Genevieve is the patron saint of Paris. I also love Vivian. I love women's names that sound like they are in a muted pink 1940's bathroom putting make-up on.
    I love Anna, not Ann or Anne as much. love Annika because of the little girl in Pippi Longstocking. Also love her brother Tommy. I have to admit I do name my kids after favorite characters in books.
    Paolina is so pretty!