Menu

Name combos with similar endings

Do you think that repetition of similar endings among the first, middle, or last names is a problem or not?

My last name is two syllables and ends in -son. Although I probably wouldn't use a first name that ends in -son, I do have some names that end in -n (but not -son) that I like. More specifically, two of my favorites for a boy are Adrian and Rowan. With those examples I don't think that there is too much of a problem (although I would probably use a middle name with some other ending letter though).

I don't have as many repetitive endings among the first name/middle name combos that I've thought of, although one that I like for a girl is Isabella Sophia. (I recall the authors mentioning in the section on middle name advice about how not varying the syllable number and endings can make the combo sound quite static; the example they gave was Ethan Aidan.)

Re: Name combos with similar endings

I'm not a huge fan of them, but I think some could sound okay. Isabella Sophia is too much for me, but Sarah Jessica sounds nice.

lola Guest

Re: Name combos with similar endings

I wouldn't. Two syllable first names with a two syllable surname almost always sound stilted to me. I'd have to use the middle a lot, to balance out the sounds. I suppose as long as your surname isn't stressed in the same place Rowan is, it should be fine. My daughter has a three syllable first name and a three syllable surname that aren't stressed in the same places. Just so you know, I practice what I preach! :) Adrian would sound great with a two syllable surname!