Menu

Thread: Double-Names

Double-Names

How do you feel about double names?! As I have met more people(mostly women) with two first names I have fallen in love with the trend...some I know:

Mary Caroline
    Laura Madeleine (I really love this one)
    Anna Grace
    Sara Jane
    Mary Whitten
    Ana Cristina
    Mary Liz(Elizabeth)
    Mary Louise
    Mary Kathryn
    Mary Kelly

Mary seems to be a popular choice!

Off the top of my head and from my list I would probably pair up the name Georgia.

Re: Double-Names

I'm from the Deep South, so I love double names-- I even have one! But where I live now, it tends to confuse people, so I just go by my first name, whereas at home, I use both. Here's a list of some folks I know who go by both:

Amy Lee
    Lily Anne
    Mary Chapell
    George Avery
    Helen Claire
    Ann Carlton
    John Parker
    Anne Louise
    Sarah Cate

I've learned that even though some of these names seem like a mouthful at the outset, they grow on the little kiddos pretty quickly. And they're charming!

Quote Originally Posted by ielah
    How do you feel about double names?! As I have met more people(mostly women) with two first names I have fallen in love with the trend...some I know:

Mary Caroline
    Laura Madeleine (I really love this one)
    Anna Grace
    Sara Jane
    Mary Whitten
    Ana Cristina
    Mary Liz(Elizabeth)
    Mary Louise
    Mary Kathryn
    Mary Kelly

Mary seems to be a popular choice!

Off the top of my head and from my list I would probably pair up the name Georgia.

I think charming is the right word, as long as neither of the names in the pair gets short shrift because it's half of a set. The French have lots of paired names starting with Marie -- Marie-Chantal, Marie-Claude, Marie-Christine -- that I've always thought were wonderful. Definitely very Catholic and old world in the best possible way!
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

There was a family in my church growing up where all the girls had the first name Mary ___. (Mary Louise, Mary Grace, Mary Rose, Mary Therese, Mary JoAnn, Mary Krista.) And they all went by their second name.

There are also a few names I know of that kind of combine two names: Merrilee (mary-lee), Carilynn (Cary-Lynn), and Donnalee.

Quote Originally Posted by pam
    I think charming is the right word, as long as neither of the names in the pair gets short shrift because it's half of a set. The French have lots of paired names starting with Marie -- Marie-Chantal, Marie-Claude, Marie-Christine -- that I've always thought were wonderful. Definitely very Catholic and old world in the best possible way!
    A byproduct of quirky French naming laws-- used to be that only saint names were permissible. And it's true that the French have a lovely flair for the double name as well; I used to teach a handful: Paul-Emile, Pierre-Francois, Anne-Sophie, Aude-Marie, Marie-Pierre. (That last one has always been a favorite of mine, no idea why.)

I kind of like the quaintness of the double names. My name is Kelly Ann and I always liked it when my mom used both.
    Since Georgia is on your list, a name I like by the way, here are a few offerings:

Georgia Louise

Georgia Leanne

Georgia Mae

Georgia Renee

Georgia Breanne (for a more modern twist)

Georgia Noelle

Georgia Leigh

I have seen the double name done like this: Marybeth, Marykate, Amberlee. Georgia might be a bit long for a double-name trend, unless you choose a single syllable second name: Georgia-Paige, Georgia-Lee, Georgia-Grace.

I dont see any problem in double names. My mother, for instance, gave both my sister and I double names. My sisters is Samantha-Lynn and mine is Crysta-Marie. So long as one name doesnt over power the other I see no problem with the method of names like that.