Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Botanical Names

Botanical Names

I'm having a daughter and would love to give her a botanical name, like Violet or Ivy; however, I wonder if that would be too twee or cutesy given that my own name is Iris?

Re: Botanical Names

I think it would be adorable! By the way, I love your name so much.

I think it could be a nice way to connect your baby's name with your own, while still giving her her own identity.

Even though I love both Iris and Ivy, they may be a bit close. I think something a bit more different in sound might work better, such as Violet or Poppy or Daisy.
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

I think Violet is really sweet, but sounds substantial too.
    :: o l i v e ::

I agree. Plus it has the cute nicknames V, Vi, Vio, and Io (which is related to Ion, which means Violet). Don't worry about it being too popular; maybe in a few years it will be.

lola Guest

I agree with all that's been said prior. Ivy's a bit too much with your Iris but other botanicals would work, Violet is stellar. Daisy's sweet (but I prefer it as a nickname for the Marg-names. Margery nn Daisy is my own choice) There's aso Rose, which wile overdone as a middle is quite refreshing as a first name.
    Some others: Angelica, Lilac, Camellia, Bryony, Poppy, Flora (another personal favorite), Saffron, Hazel, Marigold, Rosemary, Cleome & Celandne, just for a few more ideas. Hope that helps!

I think its such a sweet idea, without being too matchy matchy with your name. I really like flower names like Violet, Lily, Rose, Lavender, and Aster. However, maybe you could choose something that is botanical without being floral, like Sage, Laurel, Holly, Willow, or Hazel. Congratulations!

I think it's a lovely idea. Also, agree that Ivy sounds too similar to your own name. I like these: Astrid, Aster, Peony, Violet, Jasmine, Linnea, Hazel, Ginger, Dahlia, Zinnia, and Liana.

I think it's a really cute idea. My daughter's name is Lillian Rose and if we have another girl I want to use a floral name again. Best wishes!