Menu

Ross David - what do you think?

I have only one option for a boy. Love the name Ross (my brother's middle name) and David (my dad) - but I'm worried Ross is a bit outdated. What do you think?

Re: Ross David - what do you think?

ok, i'm sorry but i have to say it. the first thing i think is that you're a big Friends fan, Ross Gellar, played by David Schwimmer. yeah, like i said, i'm sorry. probably no one else will think of that. Anyway, I don't think any name is too outdated if you love it. He'd be almost guaranteed to not share his name with anyone, but it's not outlandish at all. i think if you love it, you should absolutely use it.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

My uncle's name was Ross, but I never met him because he died in World War II. He was a prisoner of the Japanese. A fellow prisoner wrote a letter to my aunt which described many of his acts of kindness and heroism while in captivity. In my family, the name Ross is akin to the name Golden Boy. I believe that almost any name has the potential to be wonderful if the person who has the name is a wonderful person. On the other hand, a person could have a beautiful name, but if they're really awful, the people around them start to dislike that name.

Though I do think of friends a little, I don't think it is old fashioned. I kind of like how nice and straightfoward the name Ross is. If you are very worried about it what do you think of switching the names - David Ross?

Naming your son Ross David to honor your brother and father is a wonderful idea. Both names have a special meaning for you and your family. It also creates a bond for your son, his uncle and his grandfather. I would use it.

Yes, I totally agree. When you have a powerful personal reason to choose a name and when the association is really positive, in my experience that transcends all issues of fashion (which only really matter right this minute and which will be forgotten in ten years) and makes for a name you'll love and cherish over time. It also gives your child something wonderful to look up to!
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

My son's name is Ross, and no one has ever asked me if I was a big fan of "Friends" (which I wasn't) I think it's a great name, I don't think it sounds old and stuffy, and there aren't 5 of them in his class.