Menu

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Does your baby or child have a really unusual name?

Do people love it? Hate it? Misunderstand it? Copy it? Tell us more about what it's been like to live with an unusual name and whether you'd recommend a unique choice to other parents.
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

Re: Does your baby or child have a really unusual name?

My little girl's name is Vera. She's a little over a month old, and already people are mixing up her name. Some pronounce it odd ways (Veera), and others say, "Oh, that's unique." I've gotten several compliments and I overheard someone saying that it's a name unfit for a baby. But Vera is so sweet and simple beside Makenzy, McAila, Terra, Emma-Lee, and Patrisha.

My daughter's name is Amerie Lynette (AM mah ree) (Lin et) & we get compliments on her name a lot. Most people mistake it for AnneMarie but we say"No..it's A-M-E-R-I-E!" Yes, it so happens to be the name of a singer but she says her name AH-mer-ree but I didn't know that before naming her. I picked the name because it's my middle name Marie mixed up (switch the A and M & add an E. I love her name because it's an actually name (a boys name) but not too over the top! It fit's her perfectly and I love that her last name(Smith) will be more popular than her first!
    Married to my amazing best friend Dustin.
    Mom to Amerie Lynette\ Elodie Jayne/ Maisy Ann.

My son's name is Matthew Kreuz, he goes by Kreuz. I've never heard anyone else having his name. Also my daughters name is Ashlin Brooke, I've only heard of a hand full of Ashlins.

My son's name is Caedmon (Caed for short). It is a very unsual name. But it fits him to a tee. He loves music which is where he got his name from. Now if i could only come up with a pretty girl name!

My first two have fairly normal names: William Alexander and Madeleine Diamond (she was named Madeleine for the yummy french cake and Diamond is a family name, but it's beautiful) but my THIRD came along unexpectedly and we'd run out of family names - well, that we'd consider using anyway!

His name is Huon, (pron HUGH-on) for Huon pine which grows in Tasmania (his granpa's from there): it is rich in resin with a nice piney smell, and is a rare wood much prized by boatbuilders for its excellent ability to float and resistance to rot. So far our Huon has also displayed these characteristics - except perhaps the resinous fragrance.

BUT!!! The name is missing from your list of tree names - please add it. There's also a river of the same name.

HUON is a name growing in popularity in Australia, though you don't come across it every day, but there are other Huons around. I think I know of at least 5 others from various parts of the country, of various ages (including adults). I came to this site to see if it had gained enough popularity to register a blip on the lists yet.

Huon is now 6 and I think he likes having a unique name, being the only one in the school. Poor Maddy had 3 other Maddies in her kindergarten class, and will always have others around : as a Su(san), I know the feeling!
    Last word on tree names: Huon's best friend is called Rowan, together they are the Two Trees.

Be happy, Su

My cousin just named her baby Doutzen, we are all third generation dutch with a dutch last name, and at first I didn't like it, but its really really growing on me! I think its really distinctive and the model (which is where she got the idea for the name) Doutzen Kroes is beautiful, which led me to the Supermodel name list, and I really like Behati too... I don't know what has gotten into me!
    Favorite girl names: Estella, Marielle, Carys, Doutzen, Mireille, Edith, Saskia, Eve, Sienna, Cosima, Winnie, Delphine, Meredith, Sylvie, Sloane

Favorite boy names: Otto, Owen, Aaron, Daniel, Henry, Adam, Seth, Abram/Bram, Johan, Johannes, Sven, George, Adlai, Adam

I am a mother to five children soon to be six. My second daughter (fourth child) has an unusual middle name that I absolutely adore!! There are days that I wished it was her first name... but Zo seems to suit her too perfectly to be too remorseful!! Her middle name is Taeya. I kind of made up the spelling as a variation of Ta... when I saw the name Ta I just thought of the drink... TEA!! So I played with the spelling and came up with Taeya... It's a beautiful name I think and I hate that I can never find it in any baby name sites... or maybe I like that? lol either way, beautiful name in my humble opinion -=-)

Thank you for this post - I am very interested in the responses since I am considering a very unusual name for my son. I want something special but don't want him burdened.

Is correcting pronunciation and spelling really that bad? Does it make up for not being one of 3 kids in a class with the same name?

I don't feel my kids names are "way out there" or anything, but other people find them unusual. I prefer names I don't have to spell, but I've certainly broken that pattern! I like names that are uncommon, but still actually names, but I've broken that rule too! Oh well, here's the names:

Kellie Alicen Helena (15)

Crimson Alexandria Eleanor (9)
    - btw, there is a length limit on social security cards, her's exceeds the limit :) And for all you doubters on being named Crimson, she ADORES her name and is complimented on it all the time, which I can't say the same for the younger kids!

Cassandra Rejeanne Elia (2y 10mo)
    (goes by middle name, which sounds like Regine the french way (ray-zheen) because it's the best Americans can manage instead of how it should sound - ray-zhon)

Cyrus Evander Leif (10 months)
    ~*~ Mom to Kellie Alicen Helena, Crimson Alexandria Eleanor, Cassandra Rejeanne Elia, Cyrus Evander Leif, and Starling Roxana Skye ~*~