Menu

Names from the Family Tree

My husband and I just recently found out that we're pregnant with #1! As a self-confessed name geek, I'm thrilled at the prospect of naming our child, and it has spurred me on to look back at our family trees to discover any potential namesakes for this baby. We like classic names, and I love the old-lady-cool trend popular at the minute, so we were pleasantly surprised when we discovered these names on our family tree:

Girls:

Martha
    Elizabeth
    Eloise
    Isabella
    Flora
    Adelaide
    Jane
    Margaret
    Charlotte
    Harriet

Boys:

Alexander
    George
    Gabriel
    Hugh
    Daniel
    Isaiah
    Thomas

This baby has English, Irish, Scots and French descent and their surname will be Fairley. Does anyone have any suggestions from this list for 1st and middle names? We like Flora Jane, Martha Charlotte and Isaiah Daniel, but we'd love some suggestions!

Re: Names from the Family Tree

Wow, what a great collection of names! I still regret not naming our oldest Flora, so that would be my number one choice. I like Hugh for boys but I have a friend named Hugh who says it presents all kinds of obvious problems. I think my top pick for a boy would be Thomas: It's been less stylish than Daniel and some of the others but it has a nice solid-yet-soft sound and feel. Flora and Thomas are two of my absolute favorites!
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

I like Flora, but Flora Fairley is very sing-songy and heavy on the 'f' sound - it sounds a little bit like a Dickens character rather than an actual person - if you really like it then I recommend using at as a middle name. I similarly wouldn't use Martha as a first name as Martha Fairley runs the two 'f' sounds together, and may end up as Marfairley.

I like all of your other girls names, having to choose then I think Eloise, Adelaide and Charlotte are my favourites. Charlotte Flora or Adelaide Martha could work.

Isaiah Daniel is a great combination, though Isaiah can be a little difficult to spell. I really like Hugh from your list - it's recognisable without being overly common.

Congratulations on your first pregnancy! :) Looking at your family tree for names is such a neat idea.
    I adore Flora, it's such a beautiful name. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I like it with your last name, and I think it might sound better as a middle name.
    With your last name, I love Adelaide. What about Adelaide Flora?

I too love the name Adelaide and the same goes for Hugh, although I like Hugo more!

For middle names I would choose Adelaide Jane and Hugh Daniel.

Isabel Flora is GORGEOUS.
    I love all of your boy selections, but that girl combination has something spectacular and sparkling about it.

Quote Originally Posted by stephwriter
    Isabel Flora is GORGEOUS.
    I love all of your boy selections, but that girl combination has something spectacular and sparkling about it.
    I agree. Isabel Flora sounds like a sparkling, regal Princess! For a boy I love Gabriel and Isaiah with your last name. Thomas is my favorite name right now-maybe you would like to use it for a middle name. But since I adore Thomas I think it sounds great with your last name. Hugh would make such a nice middle name.